What's new

Loving the "cheap" soaps!

I really love using the cheap soaps, such as Arko, Palmolive, and Godrej shaving round. I like the different scents and am very pleased with their performance. I haven't tried VDH, Williams, or the Colonel Conk yet.

Last edited:
Arko is the best. Col conk being a close second for the price in my opinion. And the word "cheap" makes them sound like they dont work, try saying "inexpensive" haha :thumbup:

Haven't tried ARKO (yet) but did fine with VDH, now into Mike's, about as upscale as I can get on my budget!

Arko, VDH, ogallala bay rum, and Kiss My Face have been very good for me. I have some GZD on the way. I have also tried some of the more expensive brands out there, and didn't really see enough of a difference (or any) to make it worth spending the extra cash for.

VDH is good. The scents are nice, but I think you'll find one of the biggest factors in my opinion on the more expensive soaps are either easier to lather (which isn't a huge deal sometimes) or scent. I don't mind those scents, but that's most of the variety in my opinion. Some may lather slightly better, but it's hard to say it's that much better than Arko.

Shaving soap doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to be good. My favorite is Proraso. I have some AOS and and some MWF. While they are both good soaps, they aren't better than Proraso. Other relatively inexpensive products are Musgo Real cream and Speick Cream. Spieck is amazing stuff, and at $6.00 a tube it's a no-brainer.

How does the Godrej round compare to the Arko and Palmolive, 2 sticks I have used? Thanks for your expertise!

I think the Godrej Shaving Round is comparable to Arko. I just rub the GSR on my face and then develop a creamy, lubricating lather in no time. I like the smell of GSR better than Arko...it has more of a earthy/minty/soapy smell to it. Of course, YMMV. My face feels soft and moisturized after a shave with GSR...much like Arko.

VDH makes a good soap, but for the same price or less you can have Arko, which smells better and explodes with lather. I don't really care for the whole shave stick concept but it easily mashes into a bowl.

In your opinion. What would be the best and the cheapest soap that you have ever tried and recommend?

VDH and arko are tough to beat, but I hear GZD is better than arko in some people's opinion. I'll report in when it arrives. I'm becoming more of a face latherer, so I am using arko and ogallala more these days. They are different since it is tallow vs. glycerine, but I really like both. I think I prefer tallow, but the OBR scent is heaven to me. Both are excellent, but different.

For cheap soap, I'd recommend VDH, arko, OBR sticks. These 3 are my main rotation of soap right now along with a VDH based frankensoap that turned out pretty well. I'd throw KMF in, too, but it is a cream instead of a soap, and probably a right behind these 3 on performance.

I also consider Cella to be a low cost and awesome soap. If you buy the large kilo box , you really get a great bang for the buck..

Since I started using a DE and a brush last December I have tried a ton of soaps and creams, and usualy gravitated toward to higher end stuff and products from artisan soap makers, and all the classic popular products that all get lots of love around here. I tried Williams at one point and it just sucked horribly, so I sort of formed my opinion of all less expensive products around that was and assumed they were all fierier.

About a week ago I tried some VDH Deluxe on a whim and was blown away by it. First test lather seemed amazing, first shave with it was amazing, but wanted to give it some time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I've used it for a solid week now and it's about to take over as my #1 soap or cream. The lather is very slick and substantial, doesn't fall apart in the bowl or disappear when it's on your face, is very forgiving and I have ALWAYS had an amazing shave with it in the last week, including this past weekend when I was out of town, and face lathered it (I'm a bowl latherer usually) and very little prep.

Sure, others have better scents, but overall, at least for me performance is more important than any other factor, and this one delivers for me and then some in that department, and I don't mind the scent, and for variety and considering getting some essential oils, and just placing a few drops in the bowl each time I shave to mix it up. I like this soap so much I am considering just putting everything else I own on the BST. For me, it's that good!

Tried the VDH Luxury scented soap. Not a huge fan of the scent on this one, and the lather and performance was not as good as the Deluxe.

Don't forget the Godrej creams. I've only tried their menthol mist. I thought it performed well. The performance was maybe a little less than proraso; but it has significantly more menthol. It should definitely be on your list if you like menthol and are looking for cheap soaps/creams.

Top Bottom