What's new

Loving cheaper soaps!

With one sole exception, all my soaps are inexpensive. And, with no exception at all, they are all superb performers. :thumbup1:
Using enough product and knowing how to make lather helps. You don't need to break the bank to get a good shave.

I've been using Proraso Blue in the metal tube for a few years now and it performs as well as any $$$ soaps/creams. I buy it from the drug store in my neighborhood.

Inexpensive and Cheap have two different meanings to me. Most of the items discussed in this thread are "inexpensive".

I'm afraid, I tried the Pamolive cream. Not bad at all, but, after 2 days my skin came up in reddish bumps. Definitely something in this cream that does this.
Proraso is soap in the inexpensive range, I'd happily use everyday.

I'm afraid, I tried the Pamolive cream. Not bad at all, but, after 2 days my skin came up in reddish bumps. Definitely something in this cream that does this.
Proraso is soap in the inexpensive range, I'd happily use everyday.

That happened to me with Palmolive cream too. I would break out with a poison ivy type rash that would last 2 to 3hrs. It was itchy too.

It was unfortunate as I liked the scent a lot and got solid shaves with it.

I like Proraso products that I have. The red cream and the green soap always deliver a good shave for me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
These things are relative. For decades I used nothing but Williams Mug Soap or the Palmolive stick; when I discovered Proraso green some 15 years ago it became my fancy Sunday soap, and remained such for quite some time. To this day I believe the most expensive soap I've bought was a $16 jar of Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore back in 2016. I own many soaps and creams- too too many, actually- but I still think of most of the soaps that are being described as cheap soaps in this thread- i.e., Haslinger, Cella, LaToja, Speick, etc- as premium, relatively expensive soaps. I buy and enjoy using them, but I still see a $12 shaving soap as a luxury, not a bargain.

And it isn't that I'm cheap. I've spent thousands of dollars on shaving brushes, colognes, and fragrances. But there's something about spending a lot of money on soap that just seems unnecessary to me. In other words, I still use Proraso on Sundays.

...I still think of most of the soaps that are being described as cheap soaps in this thread- i.e., Haslinger, Cella, LaToja, Speick, etc- as premium, relatively expensive soaps. I buy and enjoy using them, but I still see a $12 shaving soap as a luxury, not a bargain...
They are fairly cheap soaps in Europe, there is just this weird mark-up for them over here for some reason. Haslinger is @4.50 Euro, La Toja stick @2 Euro, Speick stick @3.50 Euro. If you order a quantity from overseas, they can be cheaper to buy even with shipping.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I still see a $12 shaving soap as a luxury, not a bargain
Compared to Williams, everything is expensive. Except maybe Godrej. 🤪 It is all relative. I was perfectly happy for years using Razorock soaps that I got on sale for under $5 a tub. Before that I had zero issues with Proraso soaps. Before that I was on a Col Conk run for a while. But now my taste has evolved and I like soaps that seem to hover in the $15 to $25 range. It is what it is. But I still use Arko! … for travel anyway. 😎

Top Bottom