What's new

Loving cheaper soaps!

My staples had been in no particular order, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, Cella and Tabac. All excellent for me and none terribly expensive.

Out of curiosity, I decided to try a 130g size of MdC in a glass bowl. I have so enjoyed it and rarely use my other soaps. I’m about 160 shaves into it and don’t anticipate using anything else before it is used up except when traveling. Additionally I have bought a Brain Bowl which should last close to a year. After I finish the 130g bowl I suspect that I will rotate (8 days with each) through my old staples and then determine whether I continue to rotate soaps regularly or make the MdC the predominant soap as it has been for the last six months.

The great choices available are plentiful and many reasonably priced. MdC, considered expensive costs significantly less than $2 a week for daily shaves, not a bank breaker.

In my view, if your budget allows, it is worth trying a higher priced soap or two or three to see what it is all about. Because I have so enjoyed MdC, trying SV or Ethos or Nuàvia among others is not in my short-term future.

As to soap, lower-cost soaps can and do provide delightful shaves. And, many of my soaps are in the lower cost arena. Yes, RR What the Puck was on sale yesterday with four pucks for $10, that's a whopping 14 ounces of soap at ~$.71 an ounce; surely this is a good low-cost option. Not the ~$.45/ounce or so for Arko in bulk, but still quite inexpensive. RR soaps, Arko, Cella, Tabac, La Toja, Mogno, and others are all in my den and fully enjoyed.
Thanks for the heads up about the sale. 👍

Placed an order for the 4 WTP soaps. Look forward to to giving the black, gold and green the sniff test. To see how my nose ranks them compared to the blue.

I don’t pay much attention to the price of shaving soap. A good soap is critical for a good shave. I buy the best soaps I can find and limit my expenditure by only having only a few on hand. The cost per use of any soap is so small that it makes absolutely zero financial impact in the grand scheme of things. I prefer to focus my attention on bigger items to save money. My face is worth a few extra pennies a day.

That said some of my favorites are not all that expensive. Speick cream is the cheapest in my den and it performs as good as anything else for me. The tube is small though and you use a lot of it so it’s not quite as cheap as the price tag would suggest. Great product though. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
I'll admit, I'm a rabid PAA, WSP, and Stirling user, but if push came to shove, I could most definitely shave daily with La Toja stick (cut and pressed into bowl). La Toja is a great soap...good scent and very good performance/dollar....definitely my favorite low cost option.

Between Stirling and Southern Witchcrafts, I'm set. Really like Osma, as well, but it's kind of an outlier compared to the other two.
Not really looking to shave (ha!) pennies in this particular area of my life.

I'll admit, I'm a rabid PAA, WSP, and Stirling user, but if push came to shove, I could most definitely shave daily with La Toja stick (cut and pressed into bowl). La Toja is a great soap...good scent and very good performance/dollar....definitely my favorite low cost option.

I grated a La Toja stick, and mixed in a tablespoon of Glycerine. Amazing!

I doubt I've tried much more than 20 different shave soaps, and maybe a dozen creams, ever. Proraso white, Tabac and Haslinger have long been favorites, but somehow it seems wrong to have no tallow-based favorites. I'm not a "tallow disciple", but I do believe in tradition. So, maybe Stirling will take a regular spot in the rotation.

A cream I've been really enjoying very much and way up there in performance and scent is Jack Black "Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather". Very comfortable, slick, soft cream. It has three plant based oils among the ingredients. Macadamia nut, soybean, Jojoba. At $20 for a six ounce tube, it's a bargain. I have found that I literally use a drop the size of a single peanut. Since I found out from Marco here that the most important part of Lathering is "Lots" of water, My whole game has changed. I used to have every kind of shave problems one could experience, when my lather was Too dry or dense. Thanks Marco!

I agree and tend to be in the value camp. Being in Australia makes this difficult though. Stirling might be cheap in the USA, it is absolutely not cheap here. Only one shop sells them and he sells the samples (I belive they're $3 a piece in the USA) for over $10 AUD. Ultimately, value is what you make of it. I don't really care how nourishing a soap is, as long as it isn't drying I will be happy. Slickness is paramount but frankly I'm yet to use anything which isn't slick enough (it is nicer to use more expensive products which feel slicker though). Scent is important too. I can't use something that I don't like at the end of the day, regardless of its price. I think the fact I don't have a big collection of soaps, creams and other consumables makes the prospect of overpaying substantially easier. Like, even if I were to spend $40 on around 120g of shave soap/cream...thats around 4 months of daily shaves. I can afford $10 a month.

One I have been using more and more and is working really well with PHX water here is the Razor Emporium house made brand by them in house !
Maybe is made here by a local perspective ? No idea on that but one of my fav scents along with Jermyn street being a fav and bourbon vanilla cremo being a fav scent but for me performance over scent its fast climbing my ranks as my fav
I have yet to spend on high end $60 and so soaps ? Will one day but with how good some perform to others and reading that like anything in this its all personal

really loving this barber shop scent and performs better than almost anything else

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think one of the reason some people like to pay more for a shaving soap, is because for them the scent is very important just as the quality of the soap and expensive soaps tend to have unique scents compared to soaps like Arko or Proraso. I wouldn't mind if a soap has a good scent, but I don't really care unless it's very strong or I don't like it. When I shave, I pay attention on my technique, pressure, angle and what not and i'm almost blind to the scent.

If the scent is what some people care about, then good for them and they should buy what they want, but even though I consider my facial skin to be somewhat sensitive, I just don't believe that getting a more expensive soap is going to improve my shaving expirience 10 times like some people often claim that some soaps do. If my prep is done properly and I use any of my favorite blades and razors, I can get a great shave even with a low quality cream or a soap, but I just don't see how a more expensive soap is going to compensate if my prep isn't done properly and if I use a dull blade or a razor that has lots of blade chatter.

+1 I absolutely love and look forward to the menthol and eucalyptus scent of Proraso. I also absolutely enjoy, the fresh laundry scent of Arko. I like the scents of most soaps and aftershaves. I think after doing this 10 years, The scent of Palmolives' soap stick and Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal are the only soap and AS I don't care for. And I have used most.

I just don't want to spend money on the more expensive artisan soaps when there are so many cheap ones that smell and perform great.

But if anybody wants to give me some? I am absolutely sure, I would enjoy them. :)

I am one of those guys that prefers MDC and Ethos, but at the recommendation of @Hannah’sDad I tried Stirling’s Glacial Electric Sheep 🐑 and I really like and have made it part of my 9 soap rotation, it is a fun soap.

Reactions: GNR

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Whilst I think the higher end soaps are excellent and give a wonderful shave, I've been trying some of the cheaper ,popular soaps and creams, some of which are new to me.
So far these are cella brick, MWF, and Praso, sensitive and green menthol.
These are so good, that I wonder if there are great differences between cheaper and more expensive soaps. Apart from expensive scent oils in the higher end stuff. So far, my fav is proraso menthol. I've a poor sense of smell, but this croap gives my skin a lovely tingling feeling , not irritating my skin, but a nice sensation, reminding me of Meißner Indian flavour.

Just my thoughts on these good value products.
I’m sold on ARKO. Probably the cheapest soap out there and outstanding performance.

I’ll just say that even though the cella brick is cheap as chips…it punches very high tbh ..I’ve used up one slice out of ten and to me it’s around the same goodness as Stirling (but Stirling comes out on top for me pretty much in all areas but not by a massive amount) it is a exceptionally good cheap soap …in fact if I had no others I’d be happy myself I also love the almond and cherry scent it’s intoxicating

I agree and tend to be in the value camp. Being in Australia makes this difficult though. Stirling might be cheap in the USA, it is absolutely not cheap here. Only one shop sells them and he sells the samples (I belive they're $3 a piece in the USA) for over $10 AUD. Ultimately, value is what you make of it. I don't really care how nourishing a soap is, as long as it isn't drying I will be happy. Slickness is paramount but frankly I'm yet to use anything which isn't slick enough (it is nicer to use more expensive products which feel slicker though). Scent is important too. I can't use something that I don't like at the end of the day, regardless of its price. I think the fact I don't have a big collection of soaps, creams and other consumables makes the prospect of overpaying substantially easier. Like, even if I were to spend $40 on around 120g of shave soap/cream...thats around 4 months of daily shaves. I can afford $10 a month.
I’m from aus …google artisan arcade 👍 he mainly stocks Stirling and is great to deal with it is $29 for a tub and he has lots of other goodies to ...just incase your interested..(ps there are 3 more soaps but i got them at a later date )

Attachments

• E42A5DD9-3CA6-472D-8068-CBDF1D0F1FF9.jpeg
    E42A5DD9-3CA6-472D-8068-CBDF1D0F1FF9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • E3C6903F-2F35-4348-BE0B-EB82037CD766.jpeg
    E3C6903F-2F35-4348-BE0B-EB82037CD766.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • A2830DCD-C141-476C-B026-5A7B1F762843.jpeg
    A2830DCD-C141-476C-B026-5A7B1F762843.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Top Bottom