What's new

Love for Harry's and Defender razors?

I have been using my Harry's razor for over one year with fantastic results. I just tried a Defender razor for the first time today, with almost the same results.

What has been your experience with these razord? Will you use them in your rotation?

Attachments

• 2020-07-25_22-21-14.jpg
    2020-07-25_22-21-14.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 2020-07-25_22-24-29.jpg
    2020-07-25_22-24-29.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I tried Harry’s right before I delved into the world of classic de/se shaving. They weren’t for me. Caused terrible ingrown hairs and irritation...actually what officially lead me to a single blade. However, Defender makes a hell of a consumer based inexpensive cartridge system imo. I always keep one around and my wife and daughter use them now also. They’ve been talking about bringing out a heavier handle for years...I wish they would get to it. To me that’s about the only thing they could improve on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like a lot of carts, but never got on with the Harry's. I didn't like how they did the head angle of the head while shaving and it had as much drag as the 7 blade Dorco while not doing as good of job - FOR ME. If it works for you and you like it, use it and don't look back.

My favorite carts. Mach 3, SkinGuard, Guard and Bic 5 blade

I’ve been playing around a lot lately with carts. Always did like the Mach 3. Always going back and forth between that and the Sensor excel trying to decide which is better...I tell you, I had an early shot at the Skinguard at launch and didn’t think I liked it. Decided to give them another shot today actually and was thoroughly impressed this time around.it really did the job with 0 irritation. Head and face.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I’ve been playing around a lot lately with carts. Always did like the Mach 3. Always going back and forth between that and the Sensor excel trying to decide which is better...I tell you, I had an early shot at the Skinguard at launch and didn’t think I liked it. Decided to give them another shot today actually and was thoroughly impressed this time around.it really did the job with 0 irritation. Head and face.

SkinGuard isn't the closest shave, but for me it will easily do DFS and zero irritation. It's actually a perfect recovery razor to use the day after something else chews your face off.

Tried harry's from amazon and sent it back. The head pivoting is terrible and after 3 passes i still had stubborn hair nder my right chin side. C--

I tried Harry's and it was OK but I found that the blades were too close together and it caused the razor to clog a lot. I would pretty much have to rinse it out after every swipe. Not for me.

Harry's were adequate. I found them a bit rough and not as efficient as other carts I've used, but I can get a decent shave from them with a little effort. There are many other razors out there that do a better job for me, so I'm not in a hurry to use Harry's again. On the other hand, their canned shave gel is excellent and I love it for travel.

Never used carts till after 9/11 when they sensibly decided that carrying on a DE was a no-no. Since then I have found that Sensor Excels work the best for me.

I picked up (online ordered) a Harry's razor a couple of months ago, tried it twice, packed it away, and waited for the scars on my face to heal.

I figured out what the problem is/was for me. The way the cartridge mounts on the hinge mechanism doesn't allow you to alter pressure based on the sensitivity of your skin. So you press just slightly and the head pulls away from your face. That's a good thing in theory because that should prevent irritation. However, when you apply the "correct" amount of pressure, it just draaaags across your face, scraping off hair, skin, everything. Lift it a little to ease the discomfort and you lose contact entirely.

When I was using carts, one of the best I found was Bic Twin Select. Hard to find in stores. I found it had the combination of closeness and least irritation ( & comfort)

I have both of those razors. Originally didn't care for Harry's because it tended to sometimes skip and miss some of the scruff. I attributed to the plastic hinge. It seems to have improved recently but I agree that holding the angle you want isn't possible. I still shave with it occasionally and shaved with it this morning with good results. In it's defense I should mention that it is my son's favorite razor.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Defender. It was OK, but nothing special. Perhaps my judgement was clouded by their marketing approach. I ordered it intending to evaluate it and decide if I wanted more. They automatically signed me up for automatic renewal. I was able to unwind it after complaining but they sure tried to keep me on the hook. I don't appreciate their ethics and that alone will keep me from getting involved again.

My go to razor is a Dorco 7 although I like to use others just for fun. I'll break out a fresh cartridge for the 7 for tomorrow to start a fresh month.

SkinGuard isn't the closest shave, but for me it will easily do DFS and zero irritation. It's actually a perfect recovery razor to use the day after something else chews your face off.

Do you have the vibrating model? I used the power on mine for the first time today, kept forgetting to try it and it definitely gives a closer shave.

I had been a dedicated "face trimmer" for over a decade, meaning I took a beard trimmer and trimmed things to short stubble, and that's how I "shaved". In my early to mid thirties, I started becoming more interested in keeping a clean-shaven appearance, so I first turned to Harry's. I always found the shave to be pretty good, but what I didn't like was that I couldn't tackle more than maybe two days' growth with the cartridges, and the clogging was so onerous. I also hated applying foaming gel to my face with my hands and then having to rinse a ton of lather off my hands before shaving, which is what led me to brush lathering. I turned to DEs looking to solve those problems, and haven't looked back.

I don't think I've picked up my cartridge razor since the very early days of DE shaving. I remember going back to it just to compare the shave, and I was shocked out how much rougher and clumsier it felt in terms of having this big rectangular thing on your face versus the precision of a single blade behind a safety bar.

Before moving to DE Wet Shaving I used the Harry's razors. Was better than other cartridges I had tried and cheaper. Today I tried a Defender razor with very good results. I had purchased the razor for my wife and she loves it, previously she was using a Harry's razor. I was surprised at the results of the Defender and might even purchase one for a travel razor.

Over the years especially in the early cart days whatever Shick or Gillette put out in razors or cart changes I tried them all. I stayed on Gillette Mach‘s until they put batteries in the handles. I switched to Harry’s and stayed with them for two years or so. I tripped and fell down a rabbit hole accidentally. Almost three years ago my shave world was put on it’s ear. The B&B community welcomed, advised, encouraged and taught me how to get a comfortable, luxurious shave. My shave world has moved to a different place. Yesterday’s shave.

Decem-Boar 10

F0923576-F8CD-49EF-9833-ADB14F3DA4D2.jpeg

Grande & Feather
Zenith B-35 Boar
Saponificio Varesino Cosmo

A very nice shave but not the elevated comfort that I continue to chase. Alum warmed up a few areas on neck and chin line. I didn’t get to race into the arms of total comfort. 0 for 2 on the month. Chasing comfort is squarely on the shoulders of technique. The excellent kit will be there next week. I need to sneak in some more technique mojo. Everything performed great in the shave. I suspect that the Cosmo 4.2 formula is using a tad more water than the two 4.3’s I haven’t used them enough to be sure. My shaves are wonderful. I’m in a good place. Locking in a kit has been at the back of my mind and an ambition from the beginning. Enjoyment and relaxation are at a higher level. I don’t tense up and hold my breath anymore. It’s all good.

Happy Hog Shaves 🐷

I really like the look of the Harry's so of course when a promotional deal showed up I had to try it. To me, it is very rough and uncomfortable even with a brand new blade. I had a similar experience with Dorco and DSC, although not as bad as Harry's. My overall rank of cartridge systems is Mach3>Sensor Excel>Quattro>Fusion.

I never cease to be amazed at the YMMV factor in this hobby.

I will take the contra.

I get 90% of the shave with Harry’s that I get with a Krona loaded with an Astra SP. 90% less cuts and weepers as well.

Indeed, I am down to 1 Krona and 2 birth year (K1) Gillettes and a couple of injectors is all I have left of a den that had 6-8 other vintage DE razors.

Std shave is a clean face fresh from the bath/shower, AOS shave oil, various creams to include AOS, TOBS, Le Lebeau and Nutragena Sensitive Skin. BBS on face, DFS on neck and below jaw line When I do not stretch the skin like I should.

As we enter 2022, I am recommittting to a buy quality philosophy. Ergo Nutragena out, TOBS in. I am sure that there may be better oils out there. I know there are cheaper oils out there but AOS works well for me so that is it.

Top Bottom