What's new

Love at first light

This is such a great thread idea!!!

I am so new to this that I imagine I will have more, or changes, but for now my loves at first light are the only two baccy's I've ordered 8oz in bulk of. I haven't found that "perfect" tobacco yet and, honestly, I hope I never do. I have always loved the dynamic experience that each new cigar brought and I now love it even more with my pipes. It's a journey I look forward to every evening, trying new tobaccos or finding that one I already know that's just perfect for my mood and drink.

Esoterica Tilbury. I got a healthy almost two ounce sampler of this in a trade and it was magical right from the beginning. It dries to the perfect level very quickly and the tobacco itself seemed silken. The tobacco was so small and soft, I could have sworn I way over packed my bowl, but the draw was right, so I gave it a shot. It lit up immediately and amazingly. It hit me with such rich bold flavor hiding a hint of sweet Virginia that I was floored. Immediately I ran inside and poured a porter to go with it and dreamt about how perfect it would be just after a nice juicy grilled steak.

Boswell's Northwoods. I just bought two ounces of this off of reddit and fired up my first bowl this week. It didn't take but to my halfway point of that bowl and I was on the phone with the shop ordering 8 ounces along with others to try. The consistency is the exact opposite of tilbury and it is very possible to get too greedy packing this bowl, but not too easy. When I lit this up the first time, it instantly reminded me of everything I loved about Frog Mortons Cellar, but the only I could describe it was to say "more." there's just so much English flavoring in such great balance, with whatever topping applied just dancing in the background. The person I spoke with at the shop seemed like a great guy, and I was delighted to hear they shipped to apo. I can't wait for this order to get here!

I have to add Erinmore flake to my list of LAFL. There is just something about a VaBur with a slight topping that is so appealing. Went through a tin faster than any other I've ever had. Good stuff.

I have to agree with Senshi's original suggestion of Carter Hall. I picked some up on a recent trip to the North Eastern US, and have had three or four pipes out of it so far. Really enjoyed it, right from the first bowl. In my head, it really shouldn't be that good, considering how cheap it was (I think I paid between $4-5 for it), but it is.

I have to agree with Senshi's original suggestion of Carter Hall. I picked some up on a recent trip to the North Eastern US, and have had three or four pipes out of it so far. Really enjoyed it, right from the first bowl. In my head, it really shouldn't be that good, considering how cheap it was (I think I paid between $4-5 for it), but it is.

It really is so enjoyable. Especially in a cob! I can't wait to move back to NY and order two huge tubs of it. Easily a top 5 tobacco in my book. But I am a Burley fan after all :)

I've smoked the CH in a no-name mini-cob each time. I really need to pick up a MM cob or two from my local B&M. SWMBO isn't a fan of the pipe, so I have to pick and choose my movements carefully...:lol:

I think I have ridiculously simple tastes. I thought through all the ones I've tasted over the last year and half, and despite having tried and enjoyed many of the big dogs of the pipe world none caught me and kept me like:

Prince Albert
Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye
H&H Larry's Blend

Luckily, those are all so cheap and available, I never have to be without.

I gotta throw Haddo's Delight onto the LAFL list. The first bowl I had I smoked in my morta rhodesian on a ride down to Sendai. From that moment I knew it was special. Now I'm down to my last few bowls in the tin and I find myself getting sad. This is some good stuff.

I gotta throw Haddo's Delight onto the LAFL list. The first bowl I had I smoked in my morta rhodesian on a ride down to Sendai. From that moment I knew it was special. Now I'm down to my last few bowls in the tin and I find myself getting sad. This is some good stuff.

Haddo's Delight is on my LAFL list too. As is Abingdon. I loved it at once, and it just keeps getting better.

For me its gotta be Stonehaven and Squadron Leader. From the first time I tried either to today I'm completely in love. I will never have less than two pounds of each on hand to keep aging. After breaking open my first bowl of well aged SL I was amazed by how much it had mellowed. Now I can't bring myself to smoke the fresher stuff. Thankfully My TAD had me buy a full pound five years ago and I've been able to keep the stock refilled and aging.

I would currently put the following into this category...
McClelland 2015
Just for Him STM
MacBaren HH ODF
GLP Sixpence and
Esoterica ASTB

Boswell's Northwoods
GLP Haddo's Delight
GLP Fillmore
PS LBF
Pipeworks & Wilke #524
4noggins Bald Headed Teacher
Russ Ouellette's Fire Storm