What's new

Lousy Shave Today - Recovery?

Last night, while putting away my shaving stuff, I looked at my adjustable Gillette razor (no pictures with me right now; will post one later). I got it with an eBay purchase of another razor, which I use primarily. This adjustable one was always way too aggressive (even on the lowest setting), so I had set it aside, using the other razor I had gotten: a 20s or 30s (a B&Ber's estimation) non-adjustable Gillette (I'm in the process of acquiring a Merkur Long handle, but that's another story).

Anyway, I somehow thought it'd be a good idea to shave with it this morning, so I popped in a new Israeli blade and away I went... until I cut myself on my upper lip.

Long story short: I got a terrible shave, quite a few cuts, and my face is raw. I look like some sort of transient, and my face is far from BBS! The question now is not whether or not I should use this face-wrecker again, but how to recover from the aftermath.

What can I do to speed up the healing of cuts on my face (I used styptic pencil and kleenex to stem the bleeding)? What can I do to regenerate my dry, rough skin to be ready to shave in the morning?

What do you gents do when you overdo it one day - do I need to take a day off? [I don't know that I'd be able to go the day without shaving -- not on a weekday at least.]

If you can get your hands on some rosehip seed oil, it is really an excellent product. If applied during the day it can leave the skin a little bit oily but does a great job soothing and healing the skin. I like to put a thin coating on right before bed.

Okay I would first like to thank all the folks here at B&B for their wonderful advice about soothing a raw irritated neck (not Larry the Cable Guy).

Here's what I found to work very well for me over the past day and half.
1. Wash with Cetaphil (or generic type)
2. Apply large amounts of Aloe gel to the face as often as possible.*

*Hint: I keep a bottle on stand-by in the fridge at all times. For the occasional sunburn one gets here in Florida. It feels great on burns.

Tito

The best thing I've found is to moisturize and not shave. If you can't take a day off from shaving, just do a simple one pass shave to attempt to get to presentable. Rest and moisture is the best thing for my face when I mess it up.

letterk said:
The best thing I've found is to moisturize and not shave. If you can't take a day off from shaving, just do a simple one pass shave to attempt to get to presentable. Rest and moisture is the best thing for my face when I mess it up.

I agree. Give your skin time to heal.

letterk said:

This is my technique also. One pass may not feel like it does much but it at least looks better than not shaving at all.

Hi Daniel,
I would not use the face wrecker again. Regardless of its individual merits it didn't work for you so toss it. As to recovery moisture and rest is indeed the key. I also use aloe and Cetaphil, which is little more than water and glycerin. It provides ample moisture. If you have any puffiness hydrocortisone cream will help with that.
Cheers,
Jeff

When I was going through the leanring curve of the Merkur Vision I had the tendancy to overshave, this left my face red, sore with a few cuts. I would give it 2 ful days for everything to heal and settle down before doing it again. I once shaved two consecutive days like this and immediately regretted it, I finished the shave of course!

It might be a good idea to try some Shea Butter. It can be very greasy if over applied, but it works wonders on skin in need of emergency treatment.

Top Bottom