What's new

Louisiana wins 1st Little League title, beating Curacao 8-0 !

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Louisiana won the Little League World Series (LLWS), awsome! :thumbsup:

South Williamsport, PA - "For the second straight day, a line drive found the glove of Louisiana shortstop Stan Wiltz and a dogpile ensued in the infield at Lamade Stadium.
Stan was fine with all that.
proxy.php

Nothing seemed to go wrong for the boys from River Ridge over the last week at the Little League World Series, and Stan's catch ended the game and the tournament Sunday, with Louisiana shutting out Curacao 8-0 to win the state's first LLWS title.

"It felt like my glove was a magnet," said Stan, who got his team into the championship on Saturday with a game-ending unassisted double play against Hawaii.

The team from suburban New Orleans fought its way back through the losers' bracket after dropping its opening game of the tournament to Hawaii. Louisiana won six games in eight days, becoming the first team to win the LLWS after dropping its first game since the tournament expanded in 2001.

proxy.php

AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar River Ridge, Louisiana's Reece Roussel (22) celebrates with Conner Perrot after scoring on a double by Marshall Louque off Curacao pitcher Keven Rosina during the third inning if the Little League World Series Championship game in South Williamsport, Pa., Sunday, Aug. 25, 2019. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

"People from New Orleans and Louisiana in general are very resilient type of people," manager Scott Frazier said. "And this team exemplifies the resiliency that we have from the area that we come from."

Frazier said he felt the momentum shift for his team when it won its first game of the tournament against Oregon. That win set the club up for victories over some of the tournament's best teams -- New Jersey, Virginia, Hawaii and Curacao.
proxy.php

"Once we won that game (against Oregon), it was just a matter of getting on a roll," Frazier said.

Pitcher Egan Prather tossed a two-hit shutout Sunday, throwing 88 pitches over six innings. His performance in the championship caps off a solid tournament on the mound in which he picked up two victories and struck out 19 batters in 14 1/3 innings.

"It makes my job really easy to mix it up pitches when they can execute the pitches," Frazier said. "Everything worked for him today."

The offensive breakthrough came in the fifth inning for Louisiana as the club representing the Southwest region scored four runs on four hits to seize control. Reece Roussel smacked an RBI double that was followed by Marshall Louque's RBI single, his third hit of the day.

"We were going to get those guys, it was just a matter of time," Frazier said. "We've been so locked in this whole time."

Read More: Louisiana wins 1st -Little League World Series

proxy.php
"I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house: and parents off the streets". Yogi Berra

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Congratulations.

Back when I was a kid my friends on the playground won the Little Boys League World Series. They wore those red and white letter jackets from that victory long after they were far too tight. Nobody blamed them. It's a very big deal.

Our playground was Airline Park now renamed after Mike Miley. Mike was truly a great athlete even as a child. Those of us older by a few years loved to watch him practice. It was tragic to lose him so young.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom