What's new

Lotions For Head Shavers

Does anyone have any suggestions for a lotion or tonic to keep the scalp healthy after a shave? This cold weather is wreaking havoc. Thanks in advance. :shaving:

Jojoba oil.
Coconut oil.
Argan oil.
Almond oil.
Olive oil.
Sunflower oil.

The best approach to skin health is good nutrition and gut health.
Consume a high healthy fat diet-coconut oil, avocados, nuts and nut butters and oils, fish. Reduce refined processed foods. Avoid overly hot showers, and apply the oil directly after a shower while the skin is still moist and pat the scalp dry rather than wipe or rub hard. When sweating keep the skin rinsed/wiped clean of the accumulated salts and mineral exuded in your sweat as well as of dirt collected on your skin. Maintain adequate hydration levels...coconut water is ideal in helping with this.

Jojoba oil.
Coconut oil.
Argan oil.
Almond oil.
Olive oil.
Sunflower oil.

The best approach to skin health is good nutrition and gut health.
Consume a high healthy fat diet-coconut oil, avocados, nuts and nut butters and oils, fish. Reduce refined processed foods. Avoid overly hot showers, and apply the oil directly after a shower while the skin is still moist and pat the scalp dry rather than wipe or rub hard. When sweating keep the skin rinsed/wiped clean of the accumulated salts and mineral exuded in your sweat as well as of dirt collected on your skin. Maintain adequate hydration levels...coconut water is ideal in helping with this.

These are awesome suggestions. Thank you!!! :)

You’re welcome.

To clarify, the oils were first listed as topical applications. Jojoba is very close in property to our own skin oil, and readily absorbed without any greasiness. The ones good to consume are olive, coconut, sunflower, and some nut butters/oils. I am not sure if argan, almond or jojoba should be consumed internally. Seems almond can if food grade, as I recall. Check those others first.

I also found wheat and dairy had been causing negative effects on my skin health upon their elimination from my diet. Deep seasonal bleeding finger cracks ceased when I cut out wheat. Facial pimples and arm rashes ended when I quit dairy. My gut health improved with the elimination of each also.
I hope you find what helps. There are certainly many commercial products that do help the skin, and I am not opposed to their use, but for myself, I tend to steer toward nutrition first, then as few chemicals in product as I can find, leaning toward more natural, if something else is needed.

Last edited:
You’re welcome.

To clarify, the oils were first listed as topical applications. Jojoba is very close in property to our own skin oil, and readily absorbed without any greasiness. The ones good to consume are olive, coconut, sunflower, and some nut butters/oils. I am not sure if argan, almond or jojoba should be consumed internally. Seems almond can if food grade, as I recall. Check those others first.

I also found wheat and dairy had been causing negative effects on my skin health upon their elimination from my diet. Deep seasonal bleeding finger cracks ceased when I cut out wheat. Facial pimples and arm rashes ended when I quit dairy. My gut health improved with the elimination of each also.
I hope you find what helps. There are certainly many commercial products that do help the skin, and I am not opposed to their use, but for myself, I tend to steer toward nutrition first, then as few chemicals in product as I can find, leaning toward more natural, if something else is needed.

I completely understand your point. I do consume a lot of these items and I am going to become more mindful of this and see if it helps me. With this extreme cold weather, it is just terrible on the skin as well. I am going to try some of the oils as well. Updating the shopping list as we speak. LOL! Thank you.:)

You’re welcome.

I apply a homemade brew of these oils (plus aloe and hemp) as a post shave. Works for me.

As a fellow head shaver, I typically use aftershave balms and also aftershave. I have had great luck with Stirling's aftershave balms, and also Noble Otter's aftershave splashes, which are great with awesome ingredients.

Nivea makes a sensitive skin lotion that has sun protection. That’s what I use on the q ball before going out in the cold or sun. I apply aftershave to my head as well as my face directly after shaving. Use one with a humectant.

Top Bottom