What's new

Lothur Grooming V2 Base

I had my shave with Lothur Grooming Dave in the v2 base today. First experience with this brand too. The soap was unexpetedly croapy for me, imagine a sticky cottage cheese consistency. Because the soap was so soft I only loaded with 20 swirls of my Oumo Motherlode synthetic with enough pressure for the incredibly floppy brush to splay halfway. Due to the softness of the soap I actually overloaded and had enough soap in the brush for my whole street to get 3 pass shaves. That is the only time I will criticize this soap.

The lather was exceptional. I used the same technique as above. The lather came out very dense but very well hydrated. It took a lot of water even when considering how I accidentally overloaded the brush. It was also the slickest soap I have used so far (TOBS cream, Stirling non-mutton tallow base, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Barrister and Mann Omnibus). If Omnibus is like a wet low-viscosity marshmallow fluff, Lothur v2 felt like a dense Greek yogurt. When I added water to Seville, it got wetter but still stubbornly stuck together as if its life depended on it. Dave on the other hand kept getting denser. Same as with the B&M Seville, I finished off by squeezing out the soap left in the brush and laid it on my face for a few minutes as my postshave. My face felt great, not as well as after Omnibus but more on that later.

I really like this scent a lot. I'm terrible at describing scents so forgive me for not being very articulate. It smelled like an aromatic tea. Call me dramatic, but that scent noticeably brought down my stress level, and I was much calmer than usual going into my first meeting of the day thanks to it. Scent strength is on the milder side to my nose, but maybe that's the scent profile influencing my opinion.

Like I said at the beginning, I definitely overloaded the brush. It's quite likely that the lather came out a little less dryer than I usually prefer which might have made the postshave not as sharp as it could have been. Another confounding variable in this equation is my face. It's happiest when I shave every three to four days so that it has enough time to recover from shaving. Since I shaved after two days this time, I didn't get as close of a shave as normal. Therefore I'm going to put an asterisk next to this shave with the expectation that the experience will improve in more ideal conditions.

Overall this was another exceptional soap, and I am very happy I bought it. Best slickness I've ever experienced, phenomenal lather face feel and ease of use, very good postshave, and home run scent in my book. My stamp of approval means nothing compared to the giants on this forum who have tried so many more soaps than I have, but I highly recommend Lothur Grooming v2.

Just had my second shave with Dave a couple hours ago. This time I was knocking down 3.5 days of growth, and I didn't overload as badly. The postshave feel is definitely a marked improvement from my first experience with the soap. Still not sure how I'd rank it against Omnibus since I've only had 2 shaves with Lothur and 1 shave with Omnibus, but regardless I'm very happy with this purchase.

Great review! I picked up Lothur Dave a couple of weeks ago. I had heard really good things about it for a while now, but I tend to pass on soaps that seem to be getting a bunch of current hype.
I was really quite blown away with the performance. Like you, I overloaded the first time, as it really is closer to a cream. I think I got a very mild reaction from it at first. possibly from the dimethicone. Just gave the tiniest hint of, well I am not even sure what to call it because it wasn't burning or even really irritation, just felt sort of strange. Subsequent lighter loading helped and it felt just fine. Just slightly more than pea sized amount will easily face lather into perfection without any fuss. It does seem fairly thirsty though.

But man oh man, the lather it creates is not like anything else I have used before. It lays down a very dense and creamy lather, almost like a thick lotion. I know there isn't a true way of testing it, but it also was the slickest I have ever used. The residual slickness was also head and shoulders above any other top tier soap for me. I am not sure how this was accomplished, but I am really in awe this base. The scent on Dave is very light, but smells fantastic, it's a realistic Earl Grey tea. I will be ordering more Lothur soaps, I am 100% sold.

Great review! I picked up Lothur Dave a couple of weeks ago. I had heard really good things about it for a while now, but I tend to pass on soaps that seem to be getting a bunch of current hype.
I was really quite blown away with the performance. Like you, I overloaded the first time, as it really is closer to a cream. I think I got a very mild reaction from it at first. possibly from the dimethicone. Just gave the tiniest hint of, well I am not even sure what to call it because it wasn't burning or even really irritation, just felt sort of strange. Subsequent lighter loading helped and it felt just fine. Just slightly more than pea sized amount will easily face lather into perfection without any fuss. It does seem fairly thirsty though.

But man oh man, the lather it creates is not like anything else I have used before. It lays down a very dense and creamy lather, almost like a thick lotion. I know there isn't a true way of testing it, but it also was the slickest I have ever used. The residual slickness was also head and shoulders above any other top tier soap for me. I am not sure how this was accomplished, but I am really in awe this base. The scent on Dave is very light, but smells fantastic, it's a realistic Earl Grey tea. I will be ordering more Lothur soaps, I am 100% sold.
Glad to see someone else had a great experience with the soap. It means I'm not crazy! Like you said the residual slickness is out of this world, and this base can drink a lot of water. I really enjoy face lathering and seeing how much I can push the hydration. Those qualities combined with the post shave feel will have me reaching for it quite often.

I disagree on the “slickness” of lothur. After much trials with lothur, I have come to the conclusion that the base is too fatty/dense for its own good. The soap is almost like a heavy lotion, I get razor burn from it. The only way for my razor to glide comfortably with this soap is to hydrate it to the point the lather is extremely thin and has no structure.

I find a point of diminishing returns with soaps and being overly dense/fatty. High fats slow the blade down and add drag IMO

Yes I’ll admit, the lather look great and lathers nicely with ease and gives you a super dense lather, it’s super fun; and you could talk about the post shave all day, but never forget the objectively main importance of a shave soap, to provide glide for the razor, period.

I wanted to love this soap due to the ease of use and clean scent profile, but it’s not working for me. My neck gets razor burn on first past, no matter how much I push the hydration level.

I use a feather blade and blackbird ti, I always get great shaves with other soaps such as Omnibus, milksteak, A&E.

Perhaps people are using milder razors and blades who are enjoying this soap and can easily overlook slickness with milder options. But I can’t. Just my 2 cents.

Straight razor shaver here,, just received soap( not going to try pronounce or spell name),

First shave face lather, 20-25 swirls from puck

Too dry, by the time got super wet, no consistency/ construction, glide/ cushion 85 score out of 100)
Was not impressed and shave score on cushion/ glide 85
I also got small nick,

Shave #2
Bowl lathering, correctly
Result best shave ive experience to date
Score all areas,,,10+++

Post 10+ lasting days, appears good for skin,

Cushion and glide, 10+

Scent,
10++
While scents are subjected, if you walked into a high end dept store, this scent would be found behind the glass counter,

Verdict,, after 2 shave,, phenomenal 😎
Just ordered, another scent in same base
Thoughts thus far, as im new to bowl lathering and,, im still learning soap and best way to load and how much,,, as this base, certainly different offerings from overseas,
My fav base at moment, is possibly being dethroned,,,but premature for only 2 shaves
Cheers all
A475ADAA-4DB2-4F59-9063-FAD589F53AEB.jpeg

I disagree on the “slickness” of lothur. After much trials with lothur, I have come to the conclusion that the base is too fatty/dense for its own good. The soap is almost like a heavy lotion, I get razor burn from it. The only way for my razor to glide comfortably with this soap is to hydrate it to the point the lather is extremely thin and has no structure.

I find a point of diminishing returns with soaps and being overly dense/fatty. High fats slow the blade down and add drag IMO

Yes I’ll admit, the lather look great and lathers nicely with ease and gives you a super dense lather, it’s super fun; and you could talk about the post shave all day, but never forget the objectively main importance of a shave soap, to provide glide for the razor, period.

I wanted to love this soap due to the ease of use and clean scent profile, but it’s not working for me. My neck gets razor burn on first past, no matter how much I push the hydration level.

I use a feather blade and blackbird ti, I always get great shaves with other soaps such as Omnibus, milksteak, A&E.

Perhaps people are using milder razors and blades who are enjoying this soap and can easily overlook slickness with milder options. But I can’t. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the same results as I and a few others are in the slickness department. I rotate among my Rockwell 6S (plates 4-6 for pass 1 depending on amount of growth and plates 2-3 for the next two passes), Razorock GameChanger 0.84 Open Comb, and on rare occasion Merkur Futur. All shaves are with Feather blades like you. Not sure if you're a bowl latherer or face latherer, but 95+% of my shaves are with face lathers.

I had a bad experience with my A&E K2e soap because of the frag burn. The performance was exceptional, but I cannot use the soap simply because my face can't handle the frag burn. Is there a K2/K2e base available to non-Club members with no frag burn that you would recommend?

user report
Still learning soap V2, Tears
Excellent results thus far but for me the following is noted

Soap must be tammed and learned and mastered for right lather consistency but results are outstanding

Excellent in all areas if lathered correctly
Just reporting
CAC47C78-92EA-4EC9-A269-60A3C1D03C04.jpeg

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the same results as I and a few others are in the slickness department. I rotate among my Rockwell 6S (plates 4-6 for pass 1 depending on amount of growth and plates 2-3 for the next two passes), Razorock GameChanger 0.84 Open Comb, and on rare occasion Merkur Futur. All shaves are with Feather blades like you. Not sure if you're a bowl latherer or face latherer, but 95+% of my shaves are with face lathers.

I had a bad experience with my A&E K2e soap because of the frag burn. The performance was exceptional, but I cannot use the soap simply because my face can't handle the frag burn. Is there a K2/K2e base available to non-Club members with no frag burn that you would recommend?
So I’ll withdrawal my conclusion about lothur “v2”.

What I had was either v1 being misrepresented as v2, or from what I’ve heard lothur explain to other people with similar experiences, early batches of v2 experienced a weird reaction between the fragrance and soap.

I bought my v2 soaps from maggards back then and it was being advertised as v2. But the soap came as a cream, which doesn’t bother me, but the lather I did not enjoy. I think lathering a cream is more difficult, in a bowl at least. It was even more soft than v1!

I recently tried an actual v2 which is firm, and it is a phenomenal soap. In my top 3 bases, along side omnibus and milksteak. Love the ease of lather, scents, and most importantly performance.

So I’ll withdrawal my conclusion about lothur “v2”.

What I had was either v1 being misrepresented as v2, or from what I’ve heard lothur explain to other people with similar experiences, early batches of v2 experienced a weird reaction between the fragrance and soap.

I bought my v2 soaps from maggards back then and it was being advertised as v2. But the soap came as a cream, which doesn’t bother me, but the lather I did not enjoy. I think lathering a cream is more difficult, in a bowl at least. It was even more soft than v1!

I recently tried an actual v2 which is firm, and it is a phenomenal soap. In my top 3 bases, along side omnibus and milksteak. Love the ease of lather, scents, and most importantly performance.
Glad to hear you got the full v2 experience! I haven't tried milksteak yet, but agreed that it's in the same tier as omnibus. I go back and forth on which one I like most between the two. Some days I really want the density of omnibus, but other days I want the low fuss lathering speed from v2.

Glad to hear you got the full v2 experience! I haven't tried milksteak yet, but agreed that it's in the same tier as omnibus. I go back and forth on which one I like most between the two. Some days I really want the density of omnibus, but other days I want the low fuss lathering speed from v2.
Yeah milksteak is great, lathers probably the fastest of any soap I’ve tried, it’s at the perfect density to where if you want a more structured lather, it’ll take air. Although I don’t reach for it most often, it’s up there in my ranks.

I’m on the same page, with you, It’s all about what mood you’re in. Omnibus is super dense and fatty, lothur is dense and slick, yet has a lightness to it, the perfect soap imo. I’m sure it’s all due to the lovely dimethicone.

I have calm in v2 and will be ordering all the other scents, can’t wait for the blue and floraphobia release as well. I love lothur scents in a way other soaps can’t achieve, that super clean smelling base profile allows for scents to shine through on their own. Bases like omnibus and milksteak have an underlying graham cracker like scent that is in the background due to natural base ingredients.

My top soaps in order probably are lothur, omnibus, macduffs/milksteak.

Macduffs is a hybrid between omnibus and milksteak, I feel it just requires a little more soap to scoop because it doesn’t take a ton of water. It’s a very soft soap, has a naturally high water content, but I like soaps on the softer side.

Highly recommend macduffs, especially the birch and root scent.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have Lothur with the Tears scent I way overloaded it on my first shave. Second shave was much better very slick soap and great aftershave feel. The aftersplash smells exactly like the soap a fresh clean golone scent it feels a bit oily at the start but is quickly absorbed by the skin leaving it really soft . Will definitely be trying out other scents in the future the V2 base is a dream to work with once I got it dialed in correctly which took me about 3 shaves.

Straight razor shaver here,, just received soap( not going to try pronounce or spell name),

Too dry, by the time got super wet, no consistency/ construction, glide/ cushion 85 score out of 100)
I also got small nick,

Shave #2
Score all areas,,,10+++

Cushion and glide, 10+

Scent,
10++
While scents are subjected, if you walked into a high end dept store, this scent would be found behind the glass counter,

Thoughts thus far, as im new to bowl lathering and,, im still learning soap and best way to load and how much,,, as this base, certainly different offerings from overseas,
My fav base at moment, is possibly being dethroned,,,but premature for only 2 shaves
Cheers all
View attachment 1403530
Ok. You’ve talked me into it. As if I needed another soap…

I also got small nick,

Shave #2
Score all areas,,,10+++

Cushion and glide, 10+

Scent,
10++

Cheers all
View attachment 1403530
What was your favourite base prior to trying Lothur?

I wasn’t keen on this one. The Calm version stinks to high heaven. Completely overpowering in its scent strength. Anything but calm in my opinion. The lather was ok but the scent is off putting for me. The English classics of DR Harris, Truefitt & Hill, and MWF are safe in my den.

Last edited:

I also got small nick,

Shave #2
Score all areas,,,10+++

Cushion and glide, 10+

Scent,
10++

Cheers all
View attachment 1403530
Here's how to get the most out of shave soap. Measure out 1/8 tsp of soap and mash it into the bottom of a lathering bowl. With a slightly damp brush, whip the soap vigorously for about 30-45 seconds. Then paint lather onto your face. With a vigorous "back and forth" motion, build the lather on your face adding a little water at a time. I am able to get more than enough lather using a combination of bowl and face lathering for a 3-pass shave. People are amazed that I can get so much lather from so little soap. The secret is having an excellent lathering bowl and doing both bowl and face lathering.

Here's how to get the most out of shave soap. Measure out 1/8 tsp of soap and mash it into the bottom of a lathering bowl. With a slightly damp brush, whip the soap vigorously for about 30-45 seconds. Then paint lather onto your face. With a vigorous "back and forth" motion, build the lather on your face adding a little water at a time. I am able to get more than enough lather using a combination of bowl and face lathering for a 3-pass shave. People are amazed that I can get so much lather from so little soap. The secret is having an excellent lathering bowl and doing both bowl and face lathering.
This method is so intuitive I'm amazed why anyone would build a lather any other way. ;)

But then it would make me look silly for buying so many tubs of soap if they never get empty.

Top Bottom