What's new

Lothur Grooming V2 Base

I have been using the Løthur ‘Nude’ soap for the last few days - something I bought on a whim as I am trying to use more local/British shave products. I have to say it is exceptionally slick and the post-shave is great. I had no issues with building a lather to be honest.

I am usually one for using traditional products (MWF, TOBS, Proraso, Trumper etc) but this impulse purchase has really blown me away. I will almost certainly explore their scented soaps at some point given how impressed I am, although parfums and fragrances can cause me irritation.

I have been using the Løthur ‘Nude’ soap for the last few days - something I bought on a whim as I am trying to use more local/British shave products. I have to say it is exceptionally slick and the post-shave is great. I had no issues with building a lather to be honest.

I am usually one for using traditional products (MWF, TOBS, Proraso, Trumper etc) but this impulse purchase has really blown me away. I will almost certainly explore their scented soaps at some point given how impressed I am, although parfums and fragrances can cause me irritation.
Lothur Grooming products are on my radar. I will pick some up once my current soap is down near the bottom of the tub. Jack D. (British expat) who lives in the USA and has the YT channel "The Virtual Groomroom", swears by Lothur shave soaps and in fact rated it as his number one soap base.

I'm interested in the new sandalwood scent. Here's the description I found online:

LØNNY is a seductive and complexed sandalwood.

We have taken the most beautiful natural sandalwood known as Indian Gold. We created an accord around it to boost and bolster the beautiful natural qualities sandalwood offers. Sandalwood is a staple in the male grooming space and for good reason.

Notes: Sandalwood with creamy, musky, peppery, spicy, and resinous facets.​

I hope this gets carried by US retailers.

Have used the V2 base (Calm) a couple of times now, what an incredible soap! While I'm not completely sold on the scent, the base is just stellar. Extremely slick and protective and the post-shave feel is fantastic. How's the scent on Juice?

I had my shave with Lothur Grooming Dave in the v2 base today. First experience with this brand too. The soap was unexpetedly croapy for me, imagine a sticky cottage cheese consistency. Because the soap was so soft I only loaded with 20 swirls of my Oumo Motherlode synthetic with enough pressure for the incredibly floppy brush to splay halfway. Due to the softness of the soap I actually overloaded and had enough soap in the brush for my whole street to get 3 pass shaves. That is the only time I will criticize this soap.

The lather was exceptional. I used the same technique as above. The lather came out very dense but very well hydrated. It took a lot of water even when considering how I accidentally overloaded the brush. It was also the slickest soap I have used so far (TOBS cream, Stirling non-mutton tallow base, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Barrister and Mann Omnibus). If Omnibus is like a wet low-viscosity marshmallow fluff, Lothur v2 felt like a dense Greek yogurt. When I added water to Seville, it got wetter but still stubbornly stuck together as if its life depended on it. Dave on the other hand kept getting denser. Same as with the B&M Seville, I finished off by squeezing out the soap left in the brush and laid it on my face for a few minutes as my postshave. My face felt great, not as well as after Omnibus but more on that later.

I really like this scent a lot. I'm terrible at describing scents so forgive me for not being very articulate. It smelled like an aromatic tea. Call me dramatic, but that scent noticeably brought down my stress level, and I was much calmer than usual going into my first meeting of the day thanks to it. Scent strength is on the milder side to my nose, but maybe that's the scent profile influencing my opinion.

Like I said at the beginning, I definitely overloaded the brush. It's quite likely that the lather came out a little less dryer than I usually prefer which might have made the postshave not as sharp as it could have been. Another confounding variable in this equation is my face. It's happiest when I shave every three to four days so that it has enough time to recover from shaving. Since I shaved after two days this time, I didn't get as close of a shave as normal. Therefore I'm going to put an asterisk next to this shave with the expectation that the experience will improve in more ideal conditions.

Overall this was another exceptional soap, and I am very happy I bought it. Best slickness I've ever experienced, phenomenal lather face feel and ease of use, very good postshave, and home run scent in my book. My stamp of approval means nothing compared to the giants on this forum who have tried so many more soaps than I have, but I highly recommend Lothur Grooming v2.
I have tried Lothur V2 and Barrister and Mann Omnibus. Both are excellent shave soaps. Lothur has a clean scent that lathers easily and has a fantastic post-shave feel. It is slick and loves water. B&M Omnibus I would say is slightly denser, has a great scent (Le Grand Chypre), likes water, and is easy to lather. The post-shave is also excellent although I would give a slight edge to Lothur. Lothur is almost 20% more expensive than B&M as it comes from the UK. If money is no object, I think Lothur is number 1 but only by the smallest of margins. Both brands feel great on the face while lathering.

Have used the V2 base (Calm) a couple of times now, what an incredible soap! While I'm not completely sold on the scent, the base is just stellar. Extremely slick and protective and the post-shave feel is fantastic. How's the scent on Juice?
Agree totally.

Straight razor shaver here,, just received soap( not going to try pronounce or spell name),

First shave face lather, 20-25 swirls from puck

Too dry, by the time got super wet, no consistency/ construction, glide/ cushion 85 score out of 100)
Was not impressed and shave score on cushion/ glide 85
I also got small nick,

Shave #2
Bowl lathering, correctly
Result best shave ive experience to date
Score all areas,,,10+++

Post 10+ lasting days, appears good for skin,

Cushion and glide, 10+

Scent,
10++
While scents are subjected, if you walked into a high end dept store, this scent would be found behind the glass counter,

Verdict,, after 2 shave,, phenomenal 😎
Just ordered, another scent in same base
Thoughts thus far, as im new to bowl lathering and,, im still learning soap and best way to load and how much,,, as this base, certainly different offerings from overseas,
My fav base at moment, is possibly being dethroned,,,but premature for only 2 shaves
Cheers all
View attachment 1403530
I am a devout bowl-lathering guy. Here's how I do it. I measure a level 1/8 tsp of soap and mash it onto the bottom of the bowl. I then add 2 tsp of warm water and make it into a slurry using my index finger. I agitate the slurry SLOWLY with a slightly damp synthetic brush. After about 30 seconds the magic starts to appear. I gradually speed up the agitation for another minute or so and then voila, I have a fantastic lather. This recipe works on all soft soaps that I have tried. Once it's on my face, I can add more water as required.

Agree totally.
In the meantime Lothur has probably become my favorite soap base out there.. the Calm scent has grown on me a lot, love the spa/wellness feeling of it. I also have Lonny in my rotation which is such a unique sandalwood scent, mostly use it on special occasions. Can't wait for their future releases and updates!

Hi Doug,

Lothur has very good slickness, but you have to look at where it comes from. As I looked over the ingredient list it has dimethicone (silicone) in it. Silicone is a replacement for natural oils and butters.

I have a jar of Løthur Blue, happy to send a sample to you to try you want to try it to compare.

Because I have folliculitis I cannot use silicones, I get inflamed from them. For me, Ethos is my number one base and Kairos SE 2022 is my number two base...

Hi Doug,

Lothur has very good slickness, but you have to look at where it comes from. As I looked over the ingredient list it has dimethicone (silicone) in it. Silicone is a replacement for natural oils and butters.

I have a jar of Løthur Blue, happy to send a sample to you to try you want to try it to compare.

Because I have folliculitis I cannot use silicones, I get inflamed from them. For me, Ethos is my number one base and Kairos SE 2022 is my 1number two base...

Nobody should be using any product that contains Silicone/Dimethicone. You're just putting plastic on your face!

Nobody should be using any product that contains Silicone/Dimethicone. You're just putting plastic on your face!
Occlusives, like dimethicone, can benefit people with a wide range of skin problems. If people don't want to use it because it's a 'plastic' that's fine, but it's actually used and recommended to treat several skin conditions and can help in restoring the skin barrier.

Straight razor shaver here,, just received soap( not going to try pronounce or spell name),

First shave face lather, 20-25 swirls from puck

Too dry, by the time got super wet, no consistency/ construction, glide/ cushion 85 score out of 100)
Was not impressed and shave score on cushion/ glide 85
I also got small nick,

Shave #2
Bowl lathering, correctly
Result best shave ive experience to date
Score all areas,,,10+++

Post 10+ lasting days, appears good for skin,

Cushion and glide, 10+

Scent,
10++
While scents are subjected, if you walked into a high end dept store, this scent would be found behind the glass counter,

Verdict,, after 2 shave,, phenomenal 😎
Just ordered, another scent in same base
Thoughts thus far, as im new to bowl lathering and,, im still learning soap and best way to load and how much,,, as this base, certainly different offerings from overseas,
My fav base at moment, is possibly being dethroned,,,but premature for only 2 shaves
Cheers all
View attachment 1403530

I had my shave with Lothur Grooming Dave in the v2 base today. First experience with this brand too. The soap was unexpetedly croapy for me, imagine a sticky cottage cheese consistency. Because the soap was so soft I only loaded with 20 swirls of my Oumo Motherlode synthetic with enough pressure for the incredibly floppy brush to splay halfway. Due to the softness of the soap I actually overloaded and had enough soap in the brush for my whole street to get 3 pass shaves. That is the only time I will criticize this soap.

The lather was exceptional. I used the same technique as above. The lather came out very dense but very well hydrated. It took a lot of water even when considering how I accidentally overloaded the brush. It was also the slickest soap I have used so far (TOBS cream, Stirling non-mutton tallow base, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Barrister and Mann Omnibus). If Omnibus is like a wet low-viscosity marshmallow fluff, Lothur v2 felt like a dense Greek yogurt. When I added water to Seville, it got wetter but still stubbornly stuck together as if its life depended on it. Dave on the other hand kept getting denser. Same as with the B&M Seville, I finished off by squeezing out the soap left in the brush and laid it on my face for a few minutes as my postshave. My face felt great, not as well as after Omnibus but more on that later.

I really like this scent a lot. I'm terrible at describing scents so forgive me for not being very articulate. It smelled like an aromatic tea. Call me dramatic, but that scent noticeably brought down my stress level, and I was much calmer than usual going into my first meeting of the day thanks to it. Scent strength is on the milder side to my nose, but maybe that's the scent profile influencing my opinion.

Like I said at the beginning, I definitely overloaded the brush. It's quite likely that the lather came out a little less dryer than I usually prefer which might have made the postshave not as sharp as it could have been. Another confounding variable in this equation is my face. It's happiest when I shave every three to four days so that it has enough time to recover from shaving. Since I shaved after two days this time, I didn't get as close of a shave as normal. Therefore I'm going to put an asterisk next to this shave with the expectation that the experience will improve in more ideal conditions.

Overall this was another exceptional soap, and I am very happy I bought it. Best slickness I've ever experienced, phenomenal lather face feel and ease of use, very good postshave, and home run scent in my book. My stamp of approval means nothing compared to the giants on this forum who have tried so many more soaps than I have, but I highly recommend Lothur Grooming v2.
I agree that Lothur is a phenomenal soap. It has a nice clean scent, is easy to lather, the lather has a great consistency, it is very slick, and has a wonderful post-shave feel. If I had to choose only one brand of shave soap to use for the rest of my life, it would definitely be Lothur Grooming without any hesitation.

Here's how to get the most out of shave soap. Measure out 1/8 tsp of soap and mash it into the bottom of a lathering bowl. With a slightly damp brush, whip the soap vigorously for about 30-45 seconds. Then paint lather onto your face. With a vigorous "back and forth" motion, build the lather on your face adding a little water at a time. I am able to get more than enough lather using a combination of bowl and face lathering for a 3-pass shave. People are amazed that I can get so much lather from so little soap. The secret is having an excellent lathering bowl and doing both bowl and face lathering.
I have since updated Uncle Bob's Slurry Method. Measure 1/16 tsp of shave soap (aka a PINCH). Add 1/2 Tbsp of water. Mash the soap until it completely dissolves into the water. With a slightly damp synthetic brush, whip the slurry into a fantastic lather.

Top Bottom