What's new

Lothantique Père et Fils - All In The Family!

Greetings Gents,
Well up to this point I was able to show you French shaving soaps in truly unique containers. Roger et Gallet's exquisite wood bowl, L'Occitane's shining nickel finished metal bowl, Pré de Provence' redware clay pot, and now what do we have from Lothantique? A very classy white ceramic pot for the Père et Fils shaving soap.

full

Here we have the standard for performance picture showing my Kent BK-12 after four passes with the Père et Fils shaving soap.

full
This soap has a very light clean fragrance. It produces a very rich and wet lather. I noticed my visage felt very smooth and soft even before moisturizing. It must have been from the karité butter in the soap. So if you want to try some savon francaise, Lothantique Père et Fils is a fine choice for a close, non irritating shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah hah! I found a Lothantique outlet in Canada!!! Even as I type my ceramic shaving bowl is winging its way to my modest shave shack, along with some eau de cologne, and balm apres rasage... So take that!! and that and that!!!! :w00t:
Soon the lemon grass and sandalwood fragrance will waft from the ceramic bowl.

roughrider said:
If anyone says anything, you can blame me. :wink:
I can see it now, SWMBO with arms crossed, "Why did you buy these? You only have 62 soap ensembles!"
Shuddering I say, "But dear, that nasty ol' RR insulted my sense of propriety when he laughed at my unmatching bowl for my soap!"
Yeah, that's the ticket! :thumbup:

guenron said:
Even as I type my ceramic shaving bowl is winging its way to my modest shave shack

Funk & Wagnall defines "modest" as : Overly lavish in expenditure; exceeding reasonable limits; exorbitant.

Wait, did I look up "modest", or extravagant"?:001_tt2:

Jerry

I've have a request for addtional information:
  1. Can you describe the fragrance of the EDT/EDC ?
  2. And have you used the shave cream ?
    If so, how does it compare to the traditional creams in terms of efficacy ?
  3. And how does the soap compare (in terms of efficacy) to soaps like Tabac, Classic Shaving, Trumper, etc ?
So let us proceed. In response to 1.:
Yes! It has a light cut grass top note. After drydown there seems a slightly sweet, woodsy scent. Pleasant and informal.
In response to 2.:
This one is easy. No.:smile:
In response to 3.:
It is a French soap. The lather seems lighter than a Brit (3T'S) bowl, but it also seems wetter and slicker. As I noted above it leaves the skin feeling soft, almost lubricated as if you had used a baume de lotion après-rasage. Today's shave, not a review shave mind you, was done with a Gillette Adjustable loaded with an Exchange Select blade. I got glass cheeks, neck, and moustache. Absolutely no irritation or razor burn. That is as good as any of the British bowls, including Taylor, Trumper, T&H, Kent, D.R. Harris, et al, better than some.

On a less obective note, I like this soap and its ensemble, and it almost bothers me that my rotational discipline requires that I don't use it again for approximately 40 days. This is the kind of stuff that I would be happy using for a long time without any variety.

Ron, forgive me for a late reply, but I found a store here in Montreal which sells Pere et Fils soap, but the cost is prohibitive---they want 55$ for a bowl, don't you agree that's a bit much?

Jeff

smoothfacejeff said:
Ron, forgive me for a late reply, but I found a store here in Montreal which sells Pere et Fils soap, but the cost is prohibitive---they want 55$ for a bowl, don't you agree that's a bit much?

Jeff
Absolutely out of the question, even if it is $55CDN..
I do not remember quite what I paid, but even with my obscene case of SCAD/SSAD I doubt that I would do that... Well, er, ehhh.. NO! I ordered mine through Lothantique, CA. They provided me with an 800 number where I received excellent customer service.

Ron, even 55 bucks in lower Slobovian currency is too much, I think I paid enough when I bought the L'Occitane soap. Yet, I heard that this P&F stuff is good, but I'm not spending so much.

Jeff

Jeff
That is way too much. It should cost 30 CAD tops.
Regards,
Alfred

Ah hah! I found a Lothantique outlet in Canada!!! Even as I type my ceramic shaving bowl is winging its way to my modest shave shack, along with some eau de cologne, and balm apres rasage... So take that!! and that and that!!!! :w00t:
Soon the lemon grass and sandalwood fragrance will waft from the ceramic bowl.

I just received a sample. Extremely nice scent. I hope it shaves as well as it smells.
Regards,
Alfred

Hi Rob. Are you sure about this? Ron's great review was about the Pere et Fils. John at WCS seems to have the Le Collectionneur. There are apparently two variations of this somewhat elusive brand of soap and both seem to get differing reviews. Who knows? There may be no difference between them but I seem to remember some posters saying one appeared to be a milled soap and the other possibly a melt and pour. I haven't any idea but wouldn't mind knowing since the refill price from John is outstanding.

Regards, Todd

Hi Rob. Are you sure about this? Ron's great review was about the Pere et Fils. John at WCS seems to have the Le Collectionneur. There are apparently two variations of this somewhat elusive brand of soap and both seem to get differing reviews. Who knows? There may be no difference between them but I seem to remember some posters saying one appeared to be a milled soap and the other possibly a melt and pour. I haven't any idea but wouldn't mind knowing since the refill price from John is outstanding.

Regards, Todd

I have the Pere et Fils. It's a very good soap but to me it seems like a m&p product. I do believe the Le Collectionneur is a 3x milled product.

Now that WCS has it there is nothing to prevent me from trying it. I guess it is time to put in an order for this and some blades, maybe some Pink too. I have long wanted to try Lothantique Le Collectionneur as the scent sounds wonderful and I like the fact it is triple milled.

Top Bottom