What's new

Lost Power and Food Safety

Okay, so we had a brief but strong thunderstorm blow through yesterday and lost power for about 8 hours. Suffice it to say I am quite upset with the local utility company over the whole thing, but that isn't the point here. My question is whether/what I need to throw out from my fridge. SWMBO and I had just gone grocery shopping, so it is loaded up with a weeks worth of groceries. That's a lot of $ to throw away. So is there a good way to check? The sniff test? And is there anything I should be particularly careful of?

I heard several years ago that a good test is to check your ice cube bin. If the cubes have all melted and refrozen the fridge has been compromised. If they are still in cube form it is okay. I pass this test.

I heard several years ago that a good test is to check your ice cube bin. If the cubes have all melted and refrozen the fridge has been compromised. If they are still in cube form it is okay. I pass this test.

Based on this, and the assumption that you didn't open the fridge/freezer during the time the power was out, IMHO you're A-OK.

Having been through a few hurricanes and resulting power losses, here's what I can offer.

If the fridge stays closed during the 8 hrs or so, you should have no problem with the items. Usually things will be good for 24 hrs or so if the fridge is kept closed all the time. The more it's opened, the shorter the time things will keep.

In other words, think you're ok.

I remember the great blackout of 2003. We lost power for 2 days and we ate our way through most of the stuff in the fridge even after a full day and a half of no power. So, I agree with everyone else: as long as your fridge is relatively good at staying cold and you didn't keep it open long, you're fine. Bon Appetit!:001_smile

Last edited:
For 8 hours, you are probably safe.

If you want to be extra careful, without voiding the whole week's grocery shopping, throw out the stuff that was leftovers to begin with. Things that are still sealed in the factory packaging should be OK.

Do you think that the food - not it's environment - was between 40 and 140 for more than three hours? That is the danger zone in which bacteria and other baddies reproduce exponentially. If not, you are safe.

From the USDA:

Always keep meat, poultry, fish, and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. This may be difficult when the power is out.

Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed.

What I pay close attention to in those situations are the meats and any leftovers, along with dairy products. Those are the first to spoil. Using ice or dry ice can help keep the fridge cold longer.

Obviously, if you had any beer in the fridge, it is ruined. I'll be over shortly to dispose of it. And any chip dip also.

Obviously, if you had any beer in the fridge, it is ruined. I'll be over shortly to dispose of it. And any chip dip also.

Beer....

During a major cleanup that we were doing at a restaurant several kegs from the beer cooler got put out on the back dock. And of course kegged beer doesn't last once it gets warm. Later in the night the manager called everybody out to the back dock and declared, "Anybody who doesn't have a tap is fired!"

We found a tap. :a8:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think I speak for Jim when I say...............

grill everything!

I remember the great blackout of 2003. We lost power for 2 days and we ate our way through most of the stuff in the fridge even after a full day and a half of no power. So, I agree with everyone else: as long as your fridge is relatively good at staying cold and you didn't keep it open long, you're fine. Bon Appetit!:001_smile

Man, I just missed out on that one! Just started camping in Northern Michigan when that hit!

From the USDA:

Always keep meat, poultry, fish, and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. This may be difficult when the power is out.

Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed.

What I pay close attention to in those situations are the meats and any leftovers, along with dairy products. Those are the first to spoil. Using ice or dry ice can help keep the fridge cold longer.

That's about as good a guideline as you'll find. Having only lost it for 8 hours, you should be fine with everything so long as the fridge was shut most of the time, as everyone's already indicated. But if you're feeling extra cautious I'd maybe toss any diary you have in there if it seems a bit of the warm side in the fridge.

How kind of you sir taking one for the team like that... :001_rolle

And what if he doesn't have any chips? :confused1

Top Bottom