What's new

lost my mind

Had my first shave with a straight today. Started off with Proraso Pre, then lathered up with some MWF and went to town with an over priced Dovo Best that I picked up at a local shop (lack of patience for shipping won over frugality).

Not the smoothest shave I've had (didn't expect it to be), but it's a DFS and I didn't cut myself at least, even though it was hella awkward trying to shave with my left hand.

I have to say I really loved the feel of it all. It was a pleasant experience generally speaking. Not sure I want to go back to a DE now, but who knows. Maybe this will be just another part of a larger rotation.

I'm really looking forward to a nice long relationship with my straight and I know that as my stropping (and eventually honing) skills improve, along with my shaving technique in general, the shaves are just gonna get better.

For anyone who's still on the fence about trying a straight razor, come on in. The water's fine.

I have to say I really loved the feel of it all. It was a pleasant experience generally speaking. Not sure I want to go back to a DE now, but who knows. Maybe this will be just another part of a larger rotation.

You won't go back, trust us.

It will be part of a larger rotation - of straights :lol:.

Congrats on acquiring a debilitating new disease.

lol, thanks. the vintage I got from e-bay came in the mail (yesterday apparently, just checked now) as well. it looks like it HAS been honed, just needs some cleaning up. some tarnish on the blade. Other than that it looks like a nice piece.

full
to refresh memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my first shave with a straight today. Started off with Proraso Pre, then lathered up with some MWF and went to town with an over priced Dovo Best that I picked up at a local shop (lack of patience for shipping won over frugality).

Not the smoothest shave I've had (didn't expect it to be), but it's a DFS and I didn't cut myself at least, even though it was hella awkward trying to shave with my left hand.

I'm really looking forward to a nice long relationship with my straight and I know that as my stropping (and eventually honing) skills improve, along with my shaving technique in general, the shaves are just gonna get better.

For anyone who's still on the fence about trying a straight razor, come on in. The water's fine.

Thank you for the post! congrats!

I love straight razor shaving,I use all of mine in a weekly rotation and I will never turn back. I will say in the last 7 months of using straights, I have found a true love for the method. Just wait until you get into honing with Nortons, DMTs, Barber's hones, and Strops with pastes, then it gets even better!

lol, thanks. the vintage I got from e-bay came in the mail (yesterday apparently, just checked now) as well. it looks like it HAS been honed, just needs some cleaning up. some tarnish on the blade. Other than that it looks like a nice piece.

full
to refresh memory.

Oh they've all been honed, just not necessarily in the last decade :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for anyone who had thought to be jealous of my first shave, my 2nd shave should make you feel much better.

I still haven't cut myself, but I got some WICKED razor burn. Feels like I shaved all the skin off my neck. I've been moisturizing through out the day (except when I went to buy the new Jeep!) and it's feeling a little better. Hopefully it'll feel well enough in the morning to try again.

On a positive note, I attempted the Fool's pass for the corners of my moustache and got pretty good results. Only minor burn (I always get rb here for some reason, even with DEs) and my nose is still attached.

I asked on SRP about potentially upgrading to a heavier razor like a wedge or something. My beard is really coarse and curly. It's like piano wire. My thought was the heaver razor would make shaving a little smoother.

I got some pretty quick responses, most of which were a long the lines of "No no, any razor will do as long as it's sharp" but this was after someone recommended only doing the fool's pass with something heavier like a wedge but at least a 1/2 hollow, as all but the heaviest full hollows would skip around too much.

So I'm confused. Why were they so quick to steer me away from a wedge?

What do you guys think?

They are correct that any razor should work fine if it's sharp. Wedges have more mass and therefore take a lighter touch for the same results, though I don't know why they would steer you away from one. I get great results from either a Taylor Eyewitness full hollow or a Reynolds 7/8 wedge. The wedge is a cool razor though! :biggrin:

Top Bottom