What's new

Los Angeles, CA (San Fernando Valley)

My first post in this wonderful resource. I'm in LA and have never found a brick-and-mortar with a extensive selection, so my experimentation with the different products has been through online-ordering, which is time-consuming and sometimes wasteful.
Would you happen to know what their safety razor selection is like (if any)?
Thanks again.

O U Beauty in Glendale, CA.

www.oubeauty.com/spa.php

By far, the most complete brick and mortar shave shop that I've been to in Los Angeles. I can't believe I've never read about this shop before on Badger and Blade.

You will find the full line of Trufitt & Hill, Musgo Real, Proraso, Caswell & Massey, eShave, Jack Black, Pinuad Clubman, etc. When I say full line, I mean EVERY product, and in every scent, that these brands make. For now, they don't carry TOBS or Trumper's, but they are considering stocking them up in the future.

You'll also find brushes and accessories by Kent and Edwin Jagger, plus a selection of safety razors and straights. I even recall seeing a couple of strops hanging up for sale.

Matt, the shop's product guy, is a true gent and is dedicated to the art of classic men's grooming. Also, he is generous with samples!

Needless to say, I'll be back soon for sure.

O U Beauty in Glendale, CA.

www.oubeauty.com/spa.php

By far, the most complete brick and mortar shave shop that I've been to in Los Angeles. I can't believe I've never read about this shop before on Badger and Blade...

My first post in this wonderful resource. I'm in LA and have never found a brick-and-mortar with a extensive selection, so my experimentation with the different products has been through online-ordering, which is time-consuming and sometimes wasteful.
Would you happen to know what their safety razor selection is like (if any)?
Thanks again.
Yes, thank you Cities for posting this.
I'm nearby in Pasadena and I'm very glad to hear that there is brick and mortar selling Musgo so close to me.
How are the prices?

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm Pasadena as well. I went to the AOS at the Americana last week to pick-up my free sample pack. Didn't know about OU Beauty. But I'll hit it up soon.

Prices are competitive, as I recall. Right about what you'll find on the interweb - but without the shipping costs, of course.

Yes, thank you Cities for posting this.
I'm nearby in Pasadena and I'm very glad to hear that there is brick and mortar selling Musgo so close to me.
How are the prices?

I am not from Cali but I was in Santa Monica a couple weeks ago. During some downtime I thought I would look for a shave shop to do some browsing. I found a place called Larry's Shaver Shop and Cutlery. It just so happened they were closed that day so I am not sure what all they had. Maybe a resource for any of you in that area. They were located on Wilshire between Lincoln and 9th. The website says "wet shave items" so take it as you will.

www.larrysshavershopandcutlery.com

I stopped by Oh! U Beauty in Glendale on my way home from work today. That place has an AMAZING inventory of all of the classic shaving goods - consumables as well as hardware (EJ & Merkur razors, best and silvertip brushes, etc.). And the prices are competitive! Now there's absolutely no reason for anyone in the So. Cal. area to order online. Now anyone can sniff the testers before you buy rather than guessing online.

I stopped by Oh! U Beauty in Glendale on my way home from work today. That place has an AMAZING inventory of all of the classic shaving goods - consumables as well as hardware (EJ & Merkur razors, best and silvertip brushes, etc.). And the prices are competitive! Now there's absolutely no reason for anyone in the So. Cal. area to order online. Now anyone can sniff the testers before you buy rather than guessing online.

On line saves 10% in sales tax, an hour in driving time, and about three gallons of gas.:biggrin:

Do you know if Oh! U Beauty is carrying TOBS shaving creams?

No TOBS yet. But he said he's getting ready to carry the TOBS & Trumpers lines. He had full lines of Truefitt & Hill, Proraso, Musgo, Pinaud, Caswell-Massey, and I think Dr. Harris (can't remember for sure though). I suggested he carry TOBS Avocado (my personal favorite) and Tabac.

I'm glad you got a chance to make it to Oh! U Beauty in Glendale. Pretty amazing, right? I was blown away with Matt's selection of products, and couldn't believe that the shop wasn't yet written up on B&B. Once he gets TOBS, I think I'll only be using the internets for my 7 o'clocks.

Stopped by today. I would recommend knowing prices when you go in. The EJ razors were a push when you consider shipping from England. However, $22, plus tax, for a Kent soap refill seems high when I can order from England for about $17 including shipping.

http://rosscutlery.com/

Bad news first:

Ross Cutlery in Downtown LA has a small collection of overpriced vintage gillettes. Unfortunately most of them were incorrectly identified and all of them were way overpriced (think ebay prices not b/s/t). The only DE blades they had in stock were 10 packs of Feather's for $8.98 (ouch that's steep).

Good news:

The location is awesome, check out the Bradbury building and the Million Dollar Theater while you are here. They have all of the Col. Conk soaps $4.00and aftershaves $20.00 I believe. They have rotating counter displays with dozens of boar and badger brushes, straight edge razors and shavettes (sp?). If you like pocket knives, cooking knives, swiss army knives or any type of sharp objects you will be in hog heaven. At the very back of the store where the register is they also have some pinaud after shave (bay rum, lilac vegetal, special reserve, etc.) They also had about 10 different merkur razors but I am not familiar with merkur and don't know which models.

Conclusion:

Check it out - I had a blast in there. :biggrin:

I went to Larchmont Beauty Supply today and they had lots of shaving stuff. T&H creams and soaps, Trumpers creams, Eshave, etc. The prices seemed about the same as I've seen them online. No razors or anything, just creams and soaps and aftershaves.

Here's the website:

http://www.larchmontbeauty.com/

Dave

This is an amazing store :biggrin:

I found T&H (creams & aftershaves), Trumpers (creams & soaps), eShave (creams & aftershaves), Caswell Massey cream, AoS (pretty much the whole line), as well as a few brushes & stands that were locked in a glass cabinet.

If you live in LA I would recommend this place just as much as OUBeauty in Glendale. Your SWMBO will have a great time in this place as well. :w00t:

Top Bottom