What's new

Lorraine Rouge / Rouge Du Salm / BBW / Goldfisch Wetzstein

As Henk released his grinding and Honing Part 4 (Pages 47-49) about the Belgian Water Whetstones i got more interested in this Topic because i also got some of the more reddish / wine red BBW Stones (Rouge Du Salm) a half year before....as mentioned by Henk these stones work very fast with slurry and depending on usage they are around 4000-8000grit....

After buying more stones i got two "Goldfisch Wetzstein" Hones....one was a rectangular one the other one was one of the stones in a wooden box which had four corners cut away.

The first stone appeared more swirled and patterned then the typcal BBW stones or the vine red variants i got.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The second stone i got was that with four cutted corners:
proxy.php

proxy.php

This was the first giving me a first guess about the origin. It showed a certain area where another area in a yellow color appeared. An indicator that its proven these stones came out of certain Layers in Belgium ?
proxy.php

I was always unsure about Henks Statement even if i had known at this time he is one of the most experienced experts when talking about hones. And i also had known that he asked Maurice from Ardennes if these stones come from their area. I remember that this was confirmed....

Having these different stones in the Hand they just look different in appearance.....so i was searching for more information or some other examples of those stones.

Actually i had a nice Trade the last week with a well appreciated friend and member from several Boards....

I got another Goldfisch Wetzstein in exchange....as i got the first pics i was well surprised because it was a kind of a Typical "BBW" pattern....
proxy.php

So i asked myself is it just a normal BBW which was sold labelled from the F&Co. Company as a Goldfisch Stone. Or is it the same material like the Lorraine Stones because Henk mentioned the different colors/apperance within the "Lorraine" Layer....
proxy.php

As i got this nice example today i really could understand what Henk wrote and actually i can underline now what was written down and confirmed....

On one side the stone has the typical Rouge Du Salm / BBW pattern in a Vine red color.....
proxy.php

proxy.php

The other side has the same but the pattern is a bit less visible and shows some of the swirling i found on the other Stones i have shown before! The stone also autoslurries exact the same in fastness as the others did....
proxy.php

So another Time for me now to appreciate and value what Henk Did for all the Community and all people interested in honing!!

Very interesting. I still want another rouge du salm at some point so I can have 2 samples.

I see my new stone there in the post I'm even more ansty now waiting for it.

I love mine... The way I implement it is usually with a razor that I have honed before, I will start on that to tidy it up and get it to a point where it can shave and then move onto a super hard coti, or even straight from that to a pierre la lune. Great hones....

Nice stones - I think someone was selling one on that auction site recently but I never got to check out the auction. We don't see them too often.

Comparison pic:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Goldfisch, La Lune, Rouge de Salm (Coti backing), "Black Belgian Whetstone" (Coti backing), Natural grown BBW, and two of Doorsch`s stones.

Greets Sebastian.

Nice stones - I think someone was selling one on that auction site recently but I never got to check out the auction. We don't see them too often.

That may be what I won. (LINK) It was a broken coticule with one half missing. But it was advertised as having a rouge du salm backer that appeared to be in good shape and unbroken, unlike the coti side. My bid was pretty low, but the shipping was twice what I paid for the stone. It's in New York customs at the moment. I'll post some pics and some comments here when it arrives. It might turn out to be ordinary BBW but seemed worth the risk.

Some more comparison shots....

Here is the working area in 10x and 20x magnification:
without water:
proxy.php

with water:
proxy.php

the coarser side with the swirls in more violet:
proxy.php

For a comparison another red wine colored BBW side:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Here is the latest example and its the one i searched for....welcome Mr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide...

Mr. Jekyl
This is a labelled "La Lorraine", as you can see on the labelled side its shows the normal BBW /Rouge Du Salm typical pattern...

Mr. Hide
On the back its the same pattern with this clouded/flash looking pattern going into darker violet...it shows the same face like the Goldfisch Stones and the one Gabe has now...

For me its clear that these stones are Belgian Stones from the "La Lorraine" layer...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is visible how the two different types of layers come together, in the middle the BBW type area with the typical dots...around the darker violet clouded pattern...

proxy.php

I suppose one must come with the other - and I'm sure the stone is way cool - but that label is awesome.....

I suppose one must come with the other - and I'm sure the stone is way cool - but that label is awesome.....

I can sent you a scanned file if you want to, thats no big issue....copied to A1 and ready to be nailed on your living room window...Enjoy the View...

Ty but don't go crazy - at 2x enlargement the dots usually start to read.
I'll just keep my eyes peeled for one...
It's funny - I seem to feel as though I've seen that label's scene on something else.
Maybe another stone... can't remember.

Looks a lot like the 10" Rouge Du Salm I just got. Does your La Lorraine smell like the Lorraine I got from you?

Just wondering as my 10" stone smells different.
Here is the latest example and its the one i searched for....welcome Mr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide...

Mr. Jekyl
This is a labelled "La Lorraine", as you can see on the labelled side its shows the normal BBW /Rouge Du Salm typical pattern...

Mr. Hide
On the back its the same pattern with this clouded/flash looking pattern going into darker violet...it shows the same face like the Goldfisch Stones and the one Gabe has now...

For me its clear that these stones are Belgian Stones from the "La Lorraine" layer...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is visible how the two different types of layers come together, in the middle the BBW type area with the typical dots...around the darker violet clouded pattern...

proxy.php

Top Bottom