What's new

Lorraine Rouge / Rouge Du Salm / BBW / Goldfisch Wetzstein

Doorch , The last stone is outstanding - i got 2 BBW like this ona combos . 1 natural and 1 glued , this type of BBW is hard coti quality . Its fast and hard - i prefer it every day of the week over the coticules . Amazing stone and it leaves a very sharp edge ,for a prepolisher / prefinisher /.Something that few coticules does .

Here are some detail pics of my 10" stone and the back of my Veinette showing a large green crystal inclusion which I think is not uncommon for redder BBW. The Veinette is basically used as a slurry stone on my Salm stones.

You will notice the side view of the 10" stone resembles my paddle Salm a little bit. The 10" stone feels much glassier and leaves an even more polished bevel. They are tied for my favorite cotis along with my dark 150yr old 8" x 1.5".
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Looks a lot like the 10" Rouge Du Salm I just got. Does your La Lorraine smell like the Lorraine I got from you?

Just wondering as my 10" stone smells different.

Dont really remember the smell ;-) but iam shure its the same material...

Not me, but I just discovered that the back side of my very fast on water 2" x 8" coticule has a fabulous piece of red-purple BBW (I think, don't think it's the Rouge) that gives a better shave than the coti side and definitely a much better polish. To get the same finish from the coti I need to lap it with an Atoma 1200 and then give it a smoothing with a fine synth. Neat stuff.

I never got back to that one in the link - had to let it go. The label was a nice attraction but, that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.
I have something else stupendous going on and it had to be the main priority.

Couldnt resist after the Seller offered more of these nice stones ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
$SIMG0007.jpg

Here is mine with another small piece much softer and finer . Both are great combination a right one make finerslurry on the left stone , wich is alround 5 - 6 K but very fast and harder stone .
best midle grit naturals i have .
The thing is that those stones fit so much better in my progretion that a coticule as a midle grit stones . folowed by a thuri . .
From bevell seting to BBW to 12 k and more / finishing /
Its harder with the coti to jump from a 1000 grit to 8000 .

$SIMG0008.jpg

$SIMG0011.jpg

Last edited:
I want one of those La Lorraine's so bad. You guys are mean. :mad3:

You scares them with that bad MOJO . They are gentle stones ha ha ha

I whant a Jat so bad , but life is cruel

Last edited:
I want one so good then. My mojo is lacking more Lorraine... need more PURPLE!

I know Alex has some smaller Jnats if you ever wanted to get one that doesn't break the bank. Nothing wrong with an Escher or coti sized Jnat. I find my size 40 kiita to be quite huge.

Got this beauty today ;-) nice size in 20x6cm...with a very nice pattern...got a very nice HHT after using water, tomorrow i will try a testshave...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sebastian do these stones ever have blue/green spots on them?

Mhh...never seen green in those...the green spots or blotches might be good indicators for Vosgiennes, La Lune Stones, Purple UK Slate...

But sometimes these very wine red BBW without naming them now a Lorraine or Rouge Du Salm show this metallic or holographic looking banding which appears sometimes like a metallic blue..

Top Bottom