What's new

Lorenzo Velloresi Musk and Sandalo

Has anyone tried either of these? Both seem to be available at reduced prices these days, although the latter seems harder to find. I do not usually buy blind, but I really like most LV creations.

LV Musk is supposedly something Brad Pitt wears or wore. It was released mid-1990s. Reviews talk about how it is really a sandalwood and rose scent, and is not at all musk centric. Some rose I like, say a dark rose like 88. Some I do not. I really like sandalwood, but I cannot tell from the reviews whether I would love either of these. I think there are references in the reviews of each to the effect of the reviewer not being sure they could pull off wearing the scent. That gives me pause. I am not sure how many scents I wear that I could say that about. That is not usually my style!

I wonder what is going on with LV that his scents are suddenly on discount. Sure makes me more likely to buy them.

It must be like 15 years since I have worn it, but LV Musk impressed back then. It definitely has a dark, dulled rose component and is slightly powdery, but there is no doubt the musk is very present. I am not much of a musk lover, but when done right I can enjoy it in perfume, and LV Musk is one I can recommend - just don’t expect it to be the only player.

Thanks. Seems to me there is a huge variety of scents that go under the term "musk." I may have come to my sense in the meantime and decided I did not need another LV blind buy. I really like LV the Piper Nigrum and Patchouli I got recently. Although I do not seem to wear the PN much. I seem to wear the Patchouli frequently.

I may have come to my sense in the meantime and decided I did not need another LV blind buy.

Well the coming to my senses part did not last long. FragrenceX or whoever they are were relentless about popping up an ad on just about every website I visited, and today the discount was 35% off their already discounted prices, so I went for a 1.7 oz bottle of the LV Musk. $60.44 plus some sales tax. Not sure how often I am going to wear a dark rose/sandalwood dominant musk scent, but we shall see. It is not like I dislike any of those notes and I am a big LV fan. I hope LV himself is okay. I am surprised to see his scents on FragranceX. I will report further when i have the Musk. I could not fine the Sandalo as easily on discount.

Thanks, Drseid.

LV Sandalo is marvelous if you like dry woods. It is almost dusty in its presentation of sandalwood. There is a creamy aspect upon initial application, but it dries down to something earthy and clay-like in a very good way (at least, I think it's good).

LV Uomo is another one I recall liking, although it's been a decade since I sampled it. Off to FragranceX I go. Sigh.

Well the LV Musk arrived. To me very rose forward and powdery. I should have picked up better from the reviews I read on that last part. To me very much an Italian take on Habit Rouge, which I am shocked I did not see in the reviews. Seems to have great legs. Underlying complexity. It smells like an expensive scent to me. Does not smelled dated to me, or a particular product of its time, the 1990s, at all.

We shall see how often I actually wear it, but I really like it so far. Of course I really like Habit Rouge, too, and I may be very biased in favor of this house, this perfumer. I feel like LV sort of references other great scents I know and builds on them or provides brilliant variations of them. I am very, very happy I ordered this one. I almost never buy bottles blind. Thanks again, Drseid.

Just to update, it is about 9 hours after I put this LV Musk on this morning, and it is still hanging in there. I do not usually care about having this level of longevity, but if folks are interested in that, this scent has it. Still a lot of dark rose to it, but the basenote woods, such as sandalwood, and, I suppose, the musk, may be more forward at this point. It also seems to have less powdery notes to me at this point.

As to my comparison to Habit Rouge, I did not actually compare it side by side with LV Musk, but was going by memory. Looking at some reviews of HR, I would say that LV Musk does not have big opening citrus that HR has, if any citrus at all. But my recollection is that the the HR citrus blows off fairly quickly. Also, HR has some carnation along with rose and rosewood, and I would say the LV is a purer dark rose in the floral notes.

As to whether rose can be a masculine scent, however, one frames the criteria for that, I do not think I would have perceived HR as inherently a masculine scent. I think of it as fairly floral, for instance. But HR is marketed as a masculine scent and has been around for a long time, remaining quite popular over the years. I think these facts help make the LV Musk easily perceived as masculine, too, in case there was any doubt. I definitely think a woman could wear LV Musk. It is quite floral and powdery at first.

Top Bottom