What's new

Lord Platinum Class?

Morning all. Been trying a sample pack of blades for the last few weeks, and had settled on Lord Platinum Class (see pics).

Ordered 100, and they turned up yesterday. Packaging on the order looks similar, other than missing the word "class" below "Platinum". Similarly the individual blades say "Platinum" rather than "Platinum Class" as per the blades in my sampler.

Before I crack any open and can't return, does anyone know if these are the same blades (only the package changed) or not? Can't find much online.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_084300.jpg
    IMG_20190203_084300.jpg
    10.3 MB · Views: 50
  • double-edge-blades-lord-platinum-class-de-blades-1_1024x1024.jpg
    double-edge-blades-lord-platinum-class-de-blades-1_1024x1024.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 50
They are the same blade, I have used them and find them to be sharp smooth shaving blades.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

If i may inquire, what did you like about the platinum class? I’m using one and in truth it’s one of the worst blades i’ve yet used. My main gripe is how dull it is. No amount of passes will get all of the stubble. What other blades do you generally like? Just curious. Thanks!

If i may inquire, what did you like about the platinum class? I’m using one and in truth it’s one of the worst blades i’ve yet used. My main gripe is how dull it is. No amount of passes will get all of the stubble. What other blades do you generally like? Just curious. Thanks!
It's weird how one blade suits one person but not another. I find it plenty sharp enough for a very clean and easy shave, and get zero irritation. When I've tried blades at the supposedly sharper end of the scale they've left me with discomfort and more than a few weepers. I was sceptical before I did it, but spending a few weeks working through a sampler was a brilliant way of finding out what suited me (my face, my beard, my technique and my razor) best - Lord Platinum and Voshkod were streets ahead of the rest.

It's weird how one blade suits one person but not another. I find it plenty sharp enough for a very clean and easy shave, and get zero irritation. When I've tried blades at the supposedly sharper end of the scale they've left me with discomfort and more than a few weepers. I was sceptical before I did it, but spending a few weeks working through a sampler was a brilliant way of finding out what suited me (my face, my beard, my technique and my razor) best - Lord Platinum and Voshkod were streets ahead of the rest.

Thanks Shep! I’m trying to figure out if there’s some kind of common reason for why people perceive blades differently because it really is one of the strangest things about shaving. You’d think everyone would find things relatively the same but it isn't the case at all. I’m also working my way through a sampler and have pinned down a few blades that i consider great. Still have about a dozen more to try though. Glad you found the right blades!

@Shep1970
Its great to hear you found a blade that suits you and I too know the feeling when said blade is found. Early on it was the Shark Super Stainless that was my go to blade until I tried the Shark Super Chrome.

I have tried quite a few Lord Mfg blades and my face / beard seem to get along best with their technology vs. Russian blades. I do keep some Polsilvers on hand just for that occasional change up because they too give me a great shave. The worst shaves I've had to date is with almost any Gillette blade other than the Nacet which was pretty good, Feather, and Kai... The Feather and Kai's did nothing but pull and tug!! Regardless if it was the 1st, 2nd, or 4th shave and it didn't matter what razor I used them in, they were just horrible. I tried steep, shallow, pressure, no pressure, WTG, XTG, ATG, 1 pass, 2 and 3 pass, hot water, warm water, cold water, and just about anything else you could think of and nothing I tried worked.

I even tried them in both of my Timeless razors, Ti95SB and SS95DC, which clamp a blade very rigid and they were still bad, yet with the Shark SC's every shave is tried and true BBS without any irritation at all every time out...

@Macduff
I think when it concerns blades, YMMV seem to stand out the most in DE shaving... Skin and hair types vary the most and its near endless when you factor in region, age, and conditions in which someone shave in...

@muzichead I just find it so odd that the sharpest blade wouldn’t work for everyone. Even after a year of DE shaving it still perplexes me. It’s not so much the irritation factor as i understand how someone with sensitive skin would react badly to a sharp blade, but it’s moreso how like you said, a feather blade “feels” like it’s tugging and pulling when others say it’s cutting perfectly. You’d think it’d cut efficiently for everyone but it’s just not the case. I’ve experienced it myself with blades that are sharp but just don’t “feel” sharp. I probably shouldn’t care but it’s an interesting phenomenon that’s totally counterintuitive.

Thanks Shep! I’m trying to figure out if there’s some kind of common reason for why people perceive blades differently because it really is one of the strangest things about shaving. You’d think everyone would find things relatively the same but it isn't the case at all. I’m also working my way through a sampler and have pinned down a few blades that i consider great. Still have about a dozen more to try though. Glad you found the right blades!
What are you finding suits you best

Top 3 would be Viking’s Sword, Personna Lab Blue and Polsilvers. I also liked Voskhod’s but i’m on the fence as to whether i’d buy in bulk on them. But i still have about a dozen more blades to try before i make a decision. Some heavy hitters too. Kais, Feathers, Astra SP, all manner of Gillette’s. So my top 3 may change by the time i’m done. But so far the ones i listed have been the best.

I have 50 pcs Lord Platinum Class and so far I've only tried one blade of those 50 in a QShave. The blade felt very smooth and on the first pass pretty sharp.
But then something very strange happened, that had never happened to me before and has never happened since. One of the blade edges went completely dull while the other continued to cut hair normally.
Maybe a defective blade...who knows. I will try another one soon.
Also, to me Kai blades are overrated and overpriced. Feathers deserve the money while these do not.

I have 50 pcs Lord Platinum Class and so far I've only tried one blade of those 50 in a QShave. The blade felt very smooth and on the first pass pretty sharp.
But then something very strange happened, that had never happened to me before and has never happened since. One of the blade edges went completely dull while the other continued to cut hair normally.
Maybe a defective blade...who knows. I will try another one soon.
Also, to me Kai blades are overrated and overpriced. Feathers deserve the money while these do not.

I've experienced this with a few Lord blades including Big Bens and Super Chromes. My Sharks (stainless) have beeen ok. I don't know if this a new problem (I only started DE shaving 13 months ago), but it puts me off buying Lord products.

I have often wondered that myself. I believe it's that the different thicknesses of hair provide either excellent or poor shielding for the skin from the blade's edge. For some, medium is great. For others, sharp is a necessity for cutting hair and the skin beneath is left relatively undamaged. For the medium people, the sharper blade bites through the hair and penetrates the upper layer of skin too deeply.

That's my working hypothesis, anyway!

Mainly because you are taking it at face value that what are essentially anonymous wet shavers actually know what they are doing when it's a statistical fact due to the law of averages that many won't. Faulty prep & poor technique are the enemies.

There are a lot of variables in shaving, and while there isn't much in the way of differences you can grind on the edge of a sheet of steel 0.004" thick, the honing and grinding angles can be different and hence the bevel more or less acute. Coatings also vary.

I'm not surprised that many people find significant differences between blades, although I really don't any more -- they are all very sharp to start with and shave more or less the same, but better (usually more expensive) blades last longer, and I prefer the feel of platinum or chrome coated edges, they pull less for me and the metal lasts much longer than PTFE coatings.

Most beginning shavers find that differences between blades become much less after several years of practice. I learned most of the tricks I use 40 plus years ago while I was in college, most notably very shallow shaving angle and strictly ATG shaving.

I got a tuck of Lord Platinum with a recent BST order. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it performed. Smooth, sharp enough for an effortless BBS shave, which for me is rare.

Agree that prep and software play a big role. I was using Valobra tallow base soap that I've been dialing in for the past month.

Morning all. Been trying a sample pack of blades for the last few weeks, and had settled on Lord Platinum Class (see pics).

Ordered 100, and they turned up yesterday. Packaging on the order looks similar, other than missing the word "class" below "Platinum". Similarly the individual blades say "Platinum" rather than "Platinum Class" as per the blades in my sampler.

Before I crack any open and can't return, does anyone know if these are the same blades (only the package changed) or not? Can't find much online.

Congratulations on finding a blade that does the trick!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I bought 100 of these blades without even trying them. Have used a tuck and they are fine. First shave was very meh, but they picked up and I am still happy with the purchase.

Was not a fan of the Lord Chrome. Lord Silver Star was acceptable. This Lord Platinum has been a very smooth, comfortable blade in my Fatip razors (Piccolo, Gentile, and Nobile). Will buy a few tucks and keep in the blade rotation.

Top Bottom