What's new

Lord L6 on WCS brass handle

I shaved with a Lord L6 (the S625 "Smart") on the aluminum handle before. The balance felt off for me. The handle was also a little too narrow for my preference, especially for the length. That said, I still managed to get a really good shave, though I had to apply some pressure to the razor.

I decided to try out the L6 razor head on a heavier handle, recently. I opted to stick the head on a WCS 79br brass handle. This time, the razor felt better balanced, especially when holding the razor closer to the butt end of the handle. Additionally, I was able to shave without applying pressure to the razor. The shave itself was also fantastic.

If anyone had issues with the L6 not feeling right before, I encourage you to try the razor head on a different handle.

And yes, I really like my WCS razor handles. They may not be the most expensive or made from the "best" (however one defines "best") steels, but they're fantastic razor handles, especially at their price points. I even like my WCS razor heads and razor stand! 😁

Attachments

• 32D4F390-2AD5-4326-A539-ED6B1EFC7623.jpeg
    32D4F390-2AD5-4326-A539-ED6B1EFC7623.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 8590B02E-12F9-4A74-A66C-FFCFB4BA5F9B.jpeg
    8590B02E-12F9-4A74-A66C-FFCFB4BA5F9B.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 57
  • A5CEDEC9-E210-49E9-B1F0-CC1CCBC4EB2D.jpeg
    A5CEDEC9-E210-49E9-B1F0-CC1CCBC4EB2D.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 53
I'm not familiar with that problem. TBH, I'd never heard of it. Do you have a link to a discussion about the problem?

That you haven't heard of it is a good sign.

Aside from my own experience, there's the Amazon reviews:

And here's some mention on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/3xpcxd
There's two parts to the problem: the quality of the post thread, and the thin zamak cap that does not do a good job holding the post.

For me, it was a good, cheap razor to learn that one must never shave in the shower and drop your razor.

Aside from that, it was a sweet razor to shave with. I wonder if I should buy a new one?

But I mostly agree with your assessment of the handle. I generally don't mind a light handle, but it is rather thin. I think it has its place, but on other razors. A nicer handle would do justice to the L6.

I just read some of those reviews. The L6 I have does not have the problem mentioned in those reviews. The head fit perfectly on the stock aluminum handle.

If you're interested in trying a new L6, keep in mind the blade gap is 1.19mm per Blade Gap Comparison - https://www.abovethetie.com/pages/blade-gap-comparison-1 . I've never measured the blade gaps on any of my razors, but I definitely noticed more of a blade gap with the L6 than with my other razors. 🙂

Sounds aggressive. But that's not my recollection. How is the blade extension?

What do they add up to? Perhaps a 6/10 M/A?

Is it sensitive about angle? Do you need to keep it at a more acute angle?

I thought it was an easy razor to use and to get a close, fast shave with.

I'm not much of a judge, but the blade exposure seems slight, just enough to provide a close shave but not so much as to be overly aggressive when riding the cap. I haven't tried other angles with this razor as I found riding the cap with it worked well for me.

Here's a photo of the head with a Lord Super Chrome blade installed.

Attachments

• 0F240054-DDCC-4371-AE6A-4DDA1FCFADEE.jpeg
    0F240054-DDCC-4371-AE6A-4DDA1FCFADEE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
Interesting. Yes, it looks from the blade exposure like it would be pretty mild and safe. I guess the wider gap would help with cutting three-day whiskers.

My feeling was the L6 was a good razor for a newbie DE shaver, but I see they have changed the specs in recent years. Would you recommend it to a cartridge shaver?

Personally, I have and prefer the Lord L5 (L122). The stock razor gave me a fantastic shave and is very well-balanced in my hand. The handle is a bit narrow, but for the length, it's still acceptable. Were I to recommend a new razor to a cartridge shaver who just wanted to try out DE shaving without spending much money, I would recommend the L5.

For someone who was willing to spend a little more money, I would recommend a WCS handle with a WCS-Charcoal Goods razor head set. The cap on the WCS-Charcoal Goods razor head set is angled at 45° so it will help a novice DE shaver to get used to shaving at the right angle. Additionally, the set comes with a mild CC plate, a mild-to-medium OC plate, and a medium-to-aggressive CC plate. This would allow the novice DE shaver to try out some different razor heads and aggressions. If he paired that razor handle with a WCS OC razor head, that would give the novice DE shaver four different plates to try out and see which he prefers (I do not recommend the standard WCS CC razor head as I find it to be just a bit more aggressive than the super mild MicroTouch One).

I also have the Lord S-625-1, the newer version of Lord L6.
I believe the newer razor is a bit more aggressive than the old L6.

I also get better shaves with a heavier and thicker handle.

I have the Lord L5 as well and I have to say that the L5 is one of the best Tech-clones on the market and I agree with you that the L5 gives a fantastic shave right out of the box.

linty1

My wallet cries.
That new handle makes it look really good too, thats a good idea. I actually didn't realize/know there was a "newer" L6, nor a L5 tbh. I shall have to grab I think (L5). I do recall having a L6 way back when I started, loving it, passing it on, then getting another one a few years later and not liking it as much (maybe it was when they switched to the "newer" version?).

Anyways, back to your original thought, thats a good idea, I'm waiting for a few handles from Italian barber to come back in stock then will make a move.

I shaved with a Lord L6 (the S625 "Smart") on the aluminum handle before. The balance felt off for me. The handle was also a little too narrow for my preference, especially for the length. That said, I still managed to get a really good shave, though I had to apply some pressure to the razor.

I decided to try out the L6 razor head on a heavier handle, recently. I opted to stick the head on a WCS 79br brass handle. This time, the razor felt better balanced, especially when holding the razor closer to the butt end of the handle. Additionally, I was able to shave without applying pressure to the razor. The shave itself was also fantastic.

If anyone had issues with the L6 not feeling right before, I encourage you to try the razor head on a different handle.

And yes, I really like my WCS razor handles. They may not be the most expensive or made from the "best" (however one defines "best") steels, but they're fantastic razor handles, especially at their price points. I even like my WCS razor heads and razor stand! 😁

That looks very cool. Their brass handles are fairly weighty compare to similar similar SS models and add good heft to any razor.

WCS makes good razor handles indeed. I have their entire collection in all the materials like brass, wood, steel and black steel coating . Not a huge fan of their heads though - hit or miss QC.

linty1

My wallet cries.
On a side note I was curious so I picked up a L5 on the bay... mm.. I might be getting my razors mixed up (L6 vs L5)... or just didn't know there were two versions and just chalked it up "diff packaging..".

The 5 and 6 are both excellent razors that punch well above their price point. I get marginally better results w the 5. I don’t think there was ever any legit issues w the handles except that some Neanderthals thought it was necessary to overtighten and strip the aluminum threads. They are both extraordinary razors and should be part of every den

...I don’t think there was ever any legit issues w the handles except that some Neanderthals thought it was necessary to overtighten and strip the aluminum threads...
The razor is too light and the handle is too long for my taste. Can one shave with it? Yes, of course, but a shorter, heavier handle improves the experience, IMHO. It does not need an 80g sledgehammer handle, though.

I am using the WCS 79S (stainless steel) handle on my Gillette Heritage razor and I really like it. Great value too.

Top Bottom