What's new

Lord L6 on WCS brass handle

The razor is too light and the handle is too long for my taste. Can one shave with it? Yes, of course, but a shorter, heavier handle improves the experience, IMHO. It does not need an 80g sledgehammer handle, though.
I prefer heavier handles as they help me get better shaves without adding pressure to the razor. That said, the heaviest handle I've used is my WCS 88s barber pole handle, which is listed at 88g.

I prefer heavier handles as they help me get better shaves without adding pressure to the razor. That said, the heaviest handle I've used is my WCS 88s barber pole handle, which is listed at 88g.
I also prefer handles with some heft and more importantly, I prefer longer handles. I have a Gillette Tech (now with a WCS 78S handle) and a British Aristocrat that both have short handles. I was never comfortable using them. Putting a longer heavier handle on my Tech and Heritage razors really improved the shaving experience for me. My Timeless.68 SS also has a long handle so longer handles just feel better in my hand. In fact, I recently used my Rockwell 6S and I couldn’t get over the feeling that the handle is just too short. I guess we all have different preferences.

I have and like both but prefer the L5 as an every day shaver. L6 rides in my Dopp and I run a unknown handle on the L5. Some of the best bang for the buck things I've purchased for shaving.
I put a L5 in my toiletries kit, it replaced an AOS Muhle R89 razor. I get a much better shave with the L5 and it's lighter. The replacement was a no brainer for me. 🙂

Is the L5 milder than the L6?
In that the blade gap is smaller, then yes, it's a milder razor. That said, the blade exposure is probably similar between the L5 and L6.

Also, the L5 isn't particularly mild, but neither is it particularly aggressive. If anything, for me it hits the sweet spot. The L5 still has a bit more of a blade gap than some other razors I own, which makes it a little more efficient when I ride the cap.

With its bigger blade gap, the L6 should be a more efficient razor, but I get better and more efficient shaves with the L5.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The L5 arrived today in the mail:
CFF99198-C95C-40B1-82D0-09E752751976.jpeg

Came with a bonus tuck of blades... surprised, on a $10 purchase, kudos to the seller.

At blush, they seem to be same head, handle, just diff baseplate, but there are differences:

701D62E2-BE93-47DA-BB9A-A98621B016D2.jpeg

and a closer look at the heads:

689CD655-401E-45E7-9517-65B9B38C3194.jpeg

Will take the two for a spin the next two weeks, and like @hairless wonder , I will also pair it with a heavier handle afterwards.

The L5 arrived today in the mail:
View attachment 1252400

Came with a bonus tuck of blades... surprised, on a $10 purchase, kudos to the seller.

At blush, they seem to be same head, handle, just diff baseplate, but there are differences:

View attachment 1252401

and a closer look at the heads:

View attachment 1252402

Will take the two for a spin the next two weeks, and like @hairless wonder , I will also pair it with a heavier handle afterwards.
I kept my L5 stock. I find the handle on the L5 to work well with the razor. The balance is pretty spot on for me. I have a hunch that switching the light aluminum handle for a heavier steel or brass on will throw off the balance and result in a less comfortable shave for me.

The handle for the L6, OTOH, just didn't feel right at all. I'm glad I switched it out for a brass handle.

The 5 and 6 are both excellent razors that punch well above their price point. I get marginally better results w the 5. I don’t think there was ever any legit issues w the handles except that some Neanderthals thought it was necessary to overtighten and strip the aluminum threads. They are both extraordinary razors and should be part of every den

+1! They punch well above their weight IMO!! :clap: :clap:

linty1

My wallet cries.
After going back to the L6 for a week, and two shaves in with the L5, I gotta say I still prefer the L6 (although its only been two shaves with the L5). The longer handle, and how shen you shave with it, the L6 sorta -suctions-? your skin in. But tbh they are both good razors and for the price? Punch well above their weight.

That you haven't heard of it is a good sign.

Aside from my own experience, there's the Amazon reviews:

And here's some mention on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/3xpcxd
There's two parts to the problem: the quality of the post thread, and the thin zamak cap that does not do a good job holding the post.

For me, it was a good, cheap razor to learn that one must never shave in the shower and drop your razor.

Aside from that, it was a sweet razor to shave with. I wonder if I should buy a new one?

But I mostly agree with your assessment of the handle. I generally don't mind a light handle, but it is rather thin. I think it has its place, but on other razors. A nicer handle would do justice to the L6.
I'm sad to report that the post problem still seems to exist. I gave a L5 razor to a buddy of mine. It was his daily driver for a while but the cap broke iff the post.

That said, I believe he may have paired the head with a different handle. I'm not sure if that made a difference. In any case, Zamak strikes again. 😖

Top Bottom