What's new

LORD L5 vs. LORD L6

I want to add a lord to my collection and can't decide between the LORD L5 & L6.
I was planing on getting the L6 just because it is newer.

What are the differences?

I never tried the L5 but i used the Lord L6 for a month and it doesn't get me BBS, to me it's not aggressive enough. I get a better shave with my Schick 5 Hydro.

I have both. I like the L6 which has a copy of the Merkur head, and I can't tell any difference between using either.

But my L5, which has a copy of the Gillette Tech head, just doesn't shave anywhere near as well as my Gillette Tech. I've tried several blades. Beats me why it should be so.
Regards,
Renato

I have both. I like the L6 which has a copy of the Merkur head, and I can't tell any difference between using either.

But my L5, which has a copy of the Gillette Tech head, just doesn't shave anywhere near as well as my Gillette Tech. I've tried several blades. Beats me why it should be so.
Regards,
Renato

Which one do you like better?

Which one do you like better?

The L6 is the one I like, it being pretty much on par with the Merkur 33 that I own (which I think is the same as the Merkur 34 head, and the Merkur 33 to me is on par with the Jagger 89).

As I said, if the L5 was like the milder Gillette Tech I'd have been happy, but it's not.
Regards,
Renato

Regards,
Renato

I never tried the L5 but i used the Lord L6 for a month and it doesn't get me BBS, to me it's not aggressive enough. I get a better shave with my Schick 5 Hydro.

The L6 is the one I like, it being pretty much on par with the Merkur 33 that I own (which I think is the same as the Merkur 34 head, and the Merkur 33 to me is on par with the Jagger 89).

As I said, if the L5 was like the milder Gillette Tech I'd have been happy, but it's not.
Regards,
Renato

Thanks!
Looks like I will be adding the L6 to my beginning collection!

Yes a clear mistake by ElliotR but he has learnt his lesson. I have a soft spot for the Lord for obvious reasons but have lent my L6 to my son who finds it a mild but excellent razor.

I have two L6, and both of them seem to be from a bad batch, that is they have what I'd call "negative blade exposure". They don't shave at all. Well, the one I converted into the Ugly Frog is now one of my most aggressive razors.

I also have a L5, it shaves just fine, nothing special though.

I have both but prefer the L6. It is mild and effective and it works with about every blade that I like. It has a geometry much like the Merkur Classic models but my L6 aligns the blade perfectly where my Merkurs don't (!).

The L5 is build like a Tech but certainly more aggressive; I can get decent shaves out of it but I don't like it as much as my L6. It just works.

The L6 on the other hand is now in my rotation for about 5 years and has become my go-to razor over my R89, Merkurs and Gillettes. Not as beautiful and every now and than there are some problems with build quality it seems (I never had any issues) but I took care to have a couple of back-ups from this one.

Last edited:
Maybe I was too harsh on the Lord L5 above. I just shaved half my face with the L5 and half with the Gillette Tech. Both felt similar, but I got a nick and lots more alum stings with the L5. But I thought I had a Dorco blade in the L5, whereas when I opened it up I actually had an Astra SP - which I don't much like in any razor I own.
Regards,
Renato

They are quite different razors. Also with both models Lord changed blade exposure during the years. Older L5 has more exposure and might be quite biting. They reduced it in the recent years, but it is still more than a Tech. With the L6 it is the other way around. The earlier batches had zero exposure and the newer ones have positive exposure.

They are quite different razors. Also with both models Lord changed blade exposure during the years. Older L5 has more exposure and might be quite biting. They reduced it in the recent years, but it is still more than a Tech. With the L6 it is the other way around. The earlier batches had zero exposure and the newer ones have positive exposure.

Great explanation!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

This explains why I prefer my current L6 to an earlier one that I forgot in a hotel room.

I'm thinking about getting a Lord 6 and I've found a couple, but I don't know what's the difference. Are both of these Lord 6 and if so, what's the difference aside from the package and the blade pack?

423423432.jpg
423423432322.jpg

Here's another one:

dsadasdsaasdass.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a Lord 6 and I've found a couple, but I don't know what's the difference. Are both of these Lord 6 and if so, what's the difference aside from the package and the blade pack?

View attachment 1592542View attachment 1592543

Here's another one:

View attachment 1592550
The difference is only the brand and amount of blades they pack with it. If you do like aggressive/efficient shaves get the L5 bundle with their plastic OC plate (RBC has them).

7E24DC8F-DA25-4CE1-B16B-142D33AD9648.jpeg

Not sure if it's just me or my L6 was a dud but it's blade feel is so much more evident than the mild razors it's compared to. Its more aggressive than my Merkur 23C which it is based around.

I recently received the L5 I ordered at the beginning of January. I shaved with it first the first time last week, with a Wizamet blade.

Though the razor does have an inexpensive razor feel (owing to its $7 price), the shave was very smooth and pleasant.

I happen to have it out again and loaded with a Nacet for today's shave. Looking forward to the second evaluation.

Top Bottom