What's new

Lord Big Ben blades

I've been using these straight now for the better half of two months, and I get some of my closest shaves with this blade, I know they are not of the highest and or best quality, but let me tell you, they just work really good for me.

Does anyone else here use these?

proxy.php

I have used them & they are good blades for me as well. The problem with Lord blades is inconsistent quality control. Sometimes I get a good 100 pack & other times I get some real bad 100 packs. Therefore, I have stopped buying Lord blades as I don't like to gamble.

As far as I know, they are made in Egypt. The Derby blades used to be horrible for me as well until they went to the thinner blades in 2017.

I have used them & they are good blades for me as well. The problem with Lord blades is inconsistent quality control. Sometimes I get a good 100 pack & other times I get some real bad 100 packs. Therefore, I have stopped buying Lord blades as I don't like to gamble.
There are usually a few duds in 100 pack. Surely they can't all be duds.

A few years ago, I bought 100 each of the Lord SS, Chrome, and Platinum blades. I have gone through at least 50 of each and have not found any defective blades.

They don't last as long as some other blades but at $10 for 100, they are an incredible value and, therefore, their longevity is not an issue. For me, they are the perfect travel blade: use them two or three days and toss.

When I first tried them, I struggled to get three shaves from them. But after persisting for the past 11-12 months, I can get great shaves for 7-10 uses. The trick for me is that I start off with a shallow angle and gradually increase the angle as the blade wears. Using this method, I can easily get 7 shaves from a blade that are BBS-DFS. I know they are not that popular hear, but as others have said, at the price they are hard to beat. As always, this is only my opinion. Enjoy your shaves, Peter.

Glad they are working for you! :a14::a14:

For me Lords were definitely middle of the pack in terms of performance. The exception is their Silver Star line which are very nice IME. YMMV is the rule with blades.

I’m a Big Ben fan! They’re not the sharpest blade out there, but I find them exceptionally smooth in a slant. I tend to get less irritation using Big Ben blades than some others.

I personally don't like them - I would have to go back over my notes as to what was wrong with them but they weren't good for me. Yet shark ss blades by lord are my go-to.

This morning I tried the one in the blue box. After reading many opinions here I remember half of the users saying these are dull. So I put one in my Ming Shi 2000s and tried it @6. I actually try every new blade in that razor @6 during the last 2 years.
I must say it's been quite a long time I was so surprised and satisfied with a new blade.
3 pass shave, not a single nick. No irritation whatsoever. and an excellent BBS. Wow!
So these are to be used in aggressive razors. You need to have a big gap obviously. Not sure if they are going to be good in the R41 though. Will definitely buy a 100 in the near days.
Tomorrow I'll try the Big Ben Super Stainless Classic.

I've found, out of the Lord blades that I've used, that these are... the worst of them. So far, out of Crown, Lord Platinum, Shark Platinum, and Asco, I like Asco blades the best.

It's the so called YMMV factor. It's what razor, cream, preparation etc. you are using. For me personally out ot 12-13 LORD brands blades, the worst were Lord Platinum and Racer Super Stainless. And as for ASCOs (if you mean Asco super stainless), they are one of the most underestimated blade. I had 480, and recently bought 200 more. And I use them primarily in my Lord L5.

It's the so called YMMV factor. It's what razor, cream, preparation etc. you are using. For me personally out ot 12-13 LORD brands blades, the worst were Lord Platinum and Racer Super Stainless. And as for ASCOs (if you mean Asco super stainless), they are one of the most underestimated blade. I had 480, and recently bought 200 more. And I use them primarily in my Lord L5.
Yes, those blades. I find them to be excellent in my GC .84 and my Progress.

blades are so bonkers. Something so simple can be so different for everyone. Lord platinum class and racer are two of my favorites.

everybody loves the silver star, and I could hardly finish one pass with it.

Lord has 7 or 8 brands. Some brands have only 1 model [Rainbow, Silver Star], other like Lord have 5-6. There are overall around 20 models. I have tried probably 14. The ones I like are [in no particular order]:

Shark Super Chrome
Lord Super Chrome
Asco Super Stainless
Crown Platinum
Big Ben Super Stainless [also tried the Super Stainless Classic yesterday - it is the same]
Rainbow

The worst for me were the Lord Platinum Class and the Racer Super Stainless, but I also didn't like Crown Super Stainless, Lord Super, Lord Classic. Lord Extra were so-so.
Have yet to try: Asco Platinum, Shark Platinum, Lord Tajam, Lord Cool

Top Bottom