What's new

L'Orange alternative

There seem to be a lot of threads lately about Fine's L'Orange. And it seems like a number of people would like to try Fine aftershaves but are hesitant because they don't have any "healing" ingredients.

Not to take away from Fine, because I love their stuff and they feel great on my face. But if you want to try the L'Orange scent but want some of those healing ingredients, try Stirling's Arkadia. I got some in the mail today, and it smells identical to L'Orange. I haven't tried it yet after shaving, but I'm assuming it will be like all the other Stirlings and will be fantastic. The other nice thing about Stirling is you can order it with or without menthol. Of course there is also DR Harris Windsor, but that is much more expensive and isn't nearly as strongly scented as L'Orange or Arkadia.

I also got samples of Dunshire, Sandpiper, and Tuscany. And a full sized bottle of Stirling Gentleman.

Couldn't a fellow add some vegetable glycerin, aloe vera juice and a few vitamin E pill innards to bump up healing properties? Curious if anyone has "enhanced" aftershave in such a manner?

Good call on the Arkadia,one of my favorites!!!If I may I would also recommend L&L Groomings Trismegistus as another option in the Terre d'Hermes profile.It is a alcohol free splash that can be ordered with or without menthol(Non menthol for me)

Couldn't a fellow add some vegetable glycerin, aloe vera juice and a few vitamin E pill innards to bump up healing properties? Curious if anyone has "enhanced" aftershave in such a manner?

I was wondering this option as well, but what would you add we could try adding some thayers

I've put a few drops of glycerin in my Fine aftershaves. I'm not sure if it makes a big difference though. I really like Stirling's splashes, and the Arkadia is killer imo. (Both the soap and splash.. and the bath soap.)

Another possible substitute is Chiseled Face Santa Paula. Not a perfect match - more orange for me on my skin - but worth a look.

I have the Santa Paula as well. I like it too, but it's a very different smell than L'Orange. Santa Paula(to me) smells like a blend of orange and lemon rind. If you do a blind sniff test between L'Orange and Arkadia, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I have the Santa Paula as well. I like it too, but it's a very different smell than L'Orange. Santa Paula(to me) smells like a blend of orange and lemon rind. If you do a blind sniff test between L'Orange and Arkadia, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
I just bought a sample of the Santa Paula and it initially smelled to me of L'Orange Noir when I sprayed it on my wrist. I've used it once so far and got much more of an orange scent out of it with the second whiff.

I've also got a sample of Arkadia coming, so I'm interested in seeing the difference.

Tried Arkadia today after shaving, and it is wonderful. Similar to Fine L'Orange but definitely more mellow. A keeper for me.

It's odd how smell can be so subjective. I own arkadia balm and l'orange AS and I would have never guessed they are both modeled off Terre D'Hermes,as I don't feel they smell all that much alike. I also own Razorock's Son of Zeus and I feel that is pretty close to l'orange, so if you're looking for an alternative to l'orange, that's a good facsimile of it. I'd recommend just throwing on some thayers after your shave if you are concerned about ingredients. A nice mild/unscented balm to go along with it might work as well. The post shave feel on all three products are great for me.

I find Thayers pretty refreshing as is but if you wanted to add some moisture goodness to it then why not vegtable glycerin and some aloe vera and squeeze some vitamin E into the bottle. 15 drops of glycerin and a teaspoon of aloe would probably do it. Start off with smaller doses and give it a try. If, for your skin, find that it feels tacky and doesn't dry over the span of time then you added too much. Live and learn. If you want your witch hazel to smell then you can't go wrong with a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil. Lemon, lime or orange are all great, just use moderation, unless more is you your idea of less then have at it. If this is too much then just buy the thayers that is already scented. It's a nice gentle mellow aftershave.

Top Bottom