What's new

Looks like UBI is a reality

How can I read read the full article? It says to sign in or subscribe to the wall street journal to read it in full.

While I am not in favor of such government actions on a long term basis, I am not opposed as a short term basis. Two of my kids are already looking at job losses, one has been temporarily laid off and expects to be rehired by April, so things could be worse for him, and the other will likely be permanently out of her job, though she is close to completing her undergraduate degree in criminal justice so that will help her chances of finding a new position. This will be especially helpful to those in the restaurant business as they are loosing substantial income in an industry that already doesn't pay well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Within 24 hours a judge struck down changes to the (SNAP) food stamp program that would make it necessary for recipients to work at least 20hours a week to receive assistance and today the government announced that it will pay people who are not able to work through a stimulus package.
This is what happens when I consume the news.

It, universal basic income, was just a matter of time, CV19 only sped it up IMO. Question is, will it be permanent or temporary?
Sending out a one time check to people to keep the toilet paper rebellion at bay is hardly universal basic income.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Sending out a one time check to people to keep the toilet paper rebellion at bay is hardly universal basic income.

Very true. The question is will it become the norm? Time, of course, will tell...

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I didn’t understand it, and I need not worry.

I touched #1 above and got bounced . Too hard to explain.

From what I read, if you make more more than $75k a year, you won't be getting much. So I'm out.
I make more than $75k a year and agree that I should be out. I don't want to rely on the government if I can provide for myself.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I make more than $75k a year and agree that I should be out. I don't want to rely on the government if I can provide for myself.

Right. Well UBI is meant for the permanently unemployed, not for those making a good living. UBI has been discussed here in the past but mainly as it relates to automation and the resulting loss (maybe) of workers. I feel we are in uncharted water here economically, and no one can tell how this outbreak will ultimately affect the economy. I hope these measures are temporary.

Top Bottom