What's new

Looking to upgrade my brush

Actually, if you are in the US, which I think you said you were, the VAT tax on the Shavemac website will be deducted if you place an order. There still is the shipping though...
Thank you for your reply.

There sooooo many options and I feel everyone has made my mind turn one way or another at this point HAHAHA!

I think for sure I’m leaning towards a Duke 3 best badger or a Shavemac 2 band. The large reason I probably wouldn’t go with the Shavemac for now is price. The Duke 3 seems to fit my price range a bit better and with Black Friday around the corner I could have even more savings, maybe.

I know Shavemac has a 20% discount right now on their brushes but that still doesn’t lower the cost significantly, especially when taxes are added in, but so many people have raved about Shavemac 2 bands it almost makes me want to just say “forget it” and spend the load of cash on a Shavemac 😬😆

Actually, if you are in the US, which I think you said you were, the VAT tax on the Shavemac website will be deducted if you place an order. There still is the shipping though...
More compelling arguments towards the Shavemac 😆

So many good options so far. Tough to decide. 😬

I know Shavemac has a 20% discount right now on their brushes but that still doesn’t lower the cost significantly, especially when taxes are added in, but so many people have raved about Shavemac 2 bands it almost makes me want to just say “forget it” and spend the load of cash on a Shavemac 😬😆
In 10 years, you will have forgotten the cost, but you will still be enjoying the Shavemac 2 band.

Honestly, from experience, if you aren't sure what you like, run on sentence, just get a Simpsons Best. I know I already said it above, but it bears repeating.

1. Everybody wants a Simpsons, wether they admit it or not. Getting one on sale eliminates the anxiety of not knowing wether you will get a good one. Seventy bucks or less and you have something to start with, if it doesn't suit you it's easy to sell.

2. Shavemac is great, I have no regrets buying mine. It is easily my best brush. It wouldn't be if I hadn't know almost exactly what configuration I want. Sure you can pick a color. But, you have to guess about the most important part, the knot dimensions.

I agree with Rudy that Shavemac is without doubt the best bang for your buck, I love the 2 band Silvertip , there are other brushes that I also like but you are going to pay more. You can not going to go wrong with a Rudy Vey with a Shavemac knot.

Honestly, from experience, if you aren't sure what you like, run on sentence, just get a Simpsons Best. I know I already said it above, but it bears repeating.

1. Everybody wants a Simpsons, wether they admit it or not. Getting one on sale eliminates the anxiety of not knowing wether you will get a good one. Seventy bucks or less and you have something to start with, if it doesn't suit you it's easy to sell.

2. Shavemac is great, I have no regrets buying mine. It is easily my best brush. It wouldn't be if I hadn't know almost exactly what configuration I want. Sure you can pick a color. But, you have to guess about the most important part, the knot dimensions.
Oh man, more back and forth. 😂

If you are going to spend what a Simpson Manchurian or 2 band Silvertip costs then I would suggest getting a Morris & Forndran from BradSears it costs less than the Simpson’s and the knot is custom made by Lee Sabini to fit your handle.

Hey all,

I’ve been wet shaving for probably about 7/8 years now.

My first, and only, brush is an Edwin Jagger Best badger. It’s been a great brush all these years, but I’m wanting to upgrade to a silvertip brush and I’m just lost and a bit confused. Who makes good brushes, what are the top makers, etc.

So I’m turning to the wealth of knowledge from all you gents that have far more expertise in the matter to steer me in a great direction.

I don’t want to say, price is no object, but I would like to hear options and travel down the rabbit hole a bit.

Added a picture of my current brush. I bought it for about $50’ish back when I started.

Thank you everyone!
In sticking with the badger brush..... West Coast shaving has a really nice silver tip badger with a honeycomb handle, it is their own brand. Right now because of Thanksgiving it is 30% off. I have this brush and it is so soft and amazing. And the price is definitely right but the 30% discount is probably even in the $40 range. Less than you paid for this badger. Give it a look online see what you think. I have gotten really good service from them. If there's a problem they fix it within 1 hour, the replacement is on the way! Best regards and enjoy this wonderful hobby we share. Ron Eastman Lynn Massachusetts USA

I go along with the majority of recommendations, Shavemac. I got one about 2 months ago and love it. I a had the Germania" shown in the gallery with my name imprinted on the side. I too had been using my old 3 band silvertip for most shaves and that had a 24mm knot. The Shavemac has a 26mm knot in 22 band. This brush is much stiffer and in some respects reminds one of the Simpson synthetic. His prices are right but you will probably wait a month to get the brush. I am considering ordering a second one in a 3 band like the Colonia cc1. They are very nice to work with!

In sticking with the badger brush..... West Coast shaving has a really nice silver tip badger with a honeycomb handle, it is their own brand. Right now because of Thanksgiving it is 30% off. I have this brush and it is so soft and amazing. And the price is definitely right but the 30% discount is probably even in the $40 range. Less than you paid for this badger. Give it a look online see what you think. I have gotten really good service from them. If there's a problem they fix it within 1 hour, the replacement is on the way! Best regards and enjoy this wonderful hobby we share. Ron Eastman Lynn Massachusetts USA
I primarily purchase from West Coast Shave. I have never had a bad experience with them. Unfortunately I don’t live in California anymore so my orders aren’t as quick as they use to be 😆

I ordered a brush already, I just haven’t said anything yet because I’ve been waiting for it in the mail. I was going to post it as soon as it comes in. Hopefully tomorrow 🤞🏼

It’s a secret for more, as far as which brush I bought ☺️

Just circling back to give everyone an update.

First off I want to thank everyone that stopped by to provide me their recommendations and patients, as I am sure this question comes up a lot.

Well the brush I ended up going with *drum roll please*

@Rudy Vey 2 band silver tip.

Customer service top notch. It was funny actually. When I messaged him about making a brush he replied almost as if he was waiting for me 🤣. Very quick responses from Rudy, very fast turn around time. Highly recommend.

I haven’t used the brush yet, I’ve just done some dry circles on my face just to have a feel.

This brush has a fantastic weight to it. Definitely heavier than my original brush. The back bone seems stronger too, which I’m looking forward to.

Anyway, I’m loving this brush and absolutely looking forward to my next shave.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• C0B8DA6A-46CB-4BA9-8CB0-585668AA8EE2.jpeg
    C0B8DA6A-46CB-4BA9-8CB0-585668AA8EE2.jpeg
    894 KB · Views: 15
  • 4EAA60A0-1D92-4D02-84CF-1486C7FF43BE.jpeg
    4EAA60A0-1D92-4D02-84CF-1486C7FF43BE.jpeg
    768.7 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom