What's new

Looking to upgrade my brush

There may be a minimum post requirement to send PMs as an anti-spam mechanic? Otherwise you'd be able to simply click on their name then click "start conversation"

Synthetics make perfect single brush options, but If it really has to be badger then...

<$50 - Whipped dog is a good inexpensive choice. So are the Yaqi Badgers. Yaqi has a 24mm 2-band going for $19usd delivered on AliExpress right now, but you'll be waiting a month or two for the brush to arrive.

$50-70 My favorite badgers in this price range are easily my WCS torch handle Silvertip and my ShaveForge 2-band. Both are completely without skritch.

$70-100 Simpson best grade - I'm personally pretty disenchantment by Simpson's best grade as mine are both really skritchy, but a lot of people love them. Ymmv, etc.

$100-200 Simpson Super, Shavemac

$300+ Wolf Whiskers or Paladin
Yeah I was thinking that it might be a posting limit or commenting limit to show activity for PMs. I posted in the new shaver check in and a moderator welcomed me. I was able to reply to them there about my issue. Hopefully he/she gets back to me about it so at least I have some sort of understanding of what’s going on.

Yeah I’m wanting to be in the $100 range. Like $150 max.

Lot of good reviews on the Chubby 2 Best Badger, but that’s really pushing the price range there. I think at this time I’m leaning more towards a Simpson, I just have to find one that is pleasing to the eye and price range.

The suggestion about Shavemac with an upcoming 20% discount is a good one. Shavemac makes great brushes.

You've also mentioned that a Simpson interests you. Simpson has had a black Friday sale the last couple of years, so if you are not in a hurry, you might wait until then.

Shavemac or Simpson; you can't go wrong either way as far as I am concerned. My 2 favorite brush companies.

The suggestion about Shavemac with an upcoming 20% discount is a good one. Shavemac makes great brushes.

You've also mentioned that a Simpson interests you. Simpson has had a black Friday sale the last couple of years, so if you are not in a hurry, you might wait until then.

Shavemac or Simpson; you can't go wrong either way as far as I am concerned. My 2 favorite brush companies.
Yeah I was just looking through Simpsons website a moment ago, I didn’t see any lack Friday specials. Do they do them closer to Black Friday? Lots of companies offer Black Friday specials early.

Yeah I was thinking that it might be a posting limit or commenting limit to show activity for PMs. I posted in the new shaver check in and a moderator welcomed me. I was able to reply to them there about my issue. Hopefully he/she gets back to me about it so at least I have some sort of understanding of what’s going on.

Yeah I’m wanting to be in the $100 range. Like $150 max.

Lot of good reviews on the Chubby 2 Best Badger, but that’s really pushing the price range there. I think at this time I’m leaning more towards a Simpson, I just have to find one that is pleasing to the eye and price range.
Personally I wouldn't go with Simpson unless you can afford Super as best grade is too much of a gamble, but they are certainly well made brushes.

I agree with the above post... Might be worth it to wait another week for black Friday deals.

Personally I wouldn't go with Simpson unless you can afford Super as best grade is too much of a gamble, but they are certainly well made brushes.

I agree with the above post... Might be worth it to wait another week for black Friday deals.
So what you’re saying is, if I go with Simpson, go with their Super Badger only?

So what you’re saying is, if I go with Simpson, go with their Super Badger only?
I'm recommending Super, if you can afford it, because Simpson Super is always soft and you'll know exactly what you're getting. Best isn't a bad grade, it's just a gamble with wide variation Best grade might be quite soft or it might not. Both of the best grade Simpsons I've purchased this autumn were skritchy/scratchy. Some people like scratch... I don't, and I think $100+ dollars is a lot of money to only maybe get a comfortable brush and for that reason I don't recommend Simpson's non-super grades to anybody looking to purchase a single brush.

i recently upgraded to my 4th brush and the semogue owners club 2 band finest badger is a very good brush. It's in a rotation with a cheap synth from Yaqi and an Omega 636 silvertip... not surprisingly they all have their advantages but all around the SOC wins hands down.

I'm recommending Super, if you can afford it, because Simpson Super is always soft and you'll know exactly what you're getting. Best isn't a bad grade, it's just a gamble with wide variation Best grade might be quite soft or it might not. Both of the best grade Simpsons I've purchased this autumn were skritchy/scratchy. Some people like scratch... I don't, and I think $100+ dollars is a lot of money to only maybe get a comfortable brush and for that reason I don't recommend Simpson's non-super grades to anybody looking to purchase a single brush.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Gotcha. That makes sense.
We haven’t talked about what you liked about your old brush and what the new brush should be like. Do you want the same feel/performance, more/less backbone, scrub is ok or should it be super soft? Do you bowl or face lather? What knot/handle size?

Reactions: GNR
We haven’t talked about what you liked about your old brush and what the new brush should be like. Do you want the same feel/performance, more/less backbone, scrub is ok or should it be super soft? Do you bowl or face lather? What knot/handle size?
I bowl lather.

I do want a different feel/performance out of the new brush. I’ve only owned one brush, so it’s really hard to compare what I want out of my new brush.

But in looking around and researching a bit, I feel like I’m wanting a brush with a good amount of backbone but still remain soft. I wouldn’t mind a bit of skritch.

As far as loft and handle size, that’s where I get a bit lost. What would be considered a “standard” loft size and handle size?

I bowl lather.

I do want a different feel/performance out of the new brush. I’ve only owned one brush, so it’s really hard to compare what I want out of my new brush.

But in looking around and researching a bit, I feel like I’m wanting a brush with a good amount of backbone but still remain soft. I wouldn’t mind a bit of skritch.

As far as loft and handle size, that’s where I get a bit lost. What would be considered a “standard” loft size and handle size?
Simpsons Super will be soft and unless super dense = expensive with not as much backbone as the 2 Band Silvertip or Best. For bowl lathering most people use a medium to longer handle. So with a budget of 100.00 Best is still your best choice for a longer handled brush with a nice knot.

Have a look at the Captain 2 or Commodore X3 for a longer handled brush or the Duke 3 for a universal size.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Shavemac, Rudy Vey or one of Simpsons options would be my choice!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

You can get a really fine synthetic or boar for very little money. Some will disagree, but for a really fine silvertip badger you're not going to get away cheap, and you really don't want to. Of course it will last a great many years, so cheap in the long run.

Personally i would recommend a shavemac custom or a Simpson. Either one you should have no trouble scoring at a 20% or more discount in the next couple days. I would probably lean towards the Simpson for the purpose of domestic black Friday discounting just because it is the more over-priced product. You would likely be very happy with something like a CH2 in super grade hair.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'd suggest you check out Rudy Vey or Paladin Shaving for a brush built to your own specifications for a reasonable price. Both are artisans without compare.
Several other vendors here sell name brand brushes if you wish to go that route.

You can get a really fine synthetic or boar for very little money. Some will disagree, but for a really fine silvertip badger you're not going to get away cheap, and you really don't want to. Of course it will last a great many years, so cheap in the long run.

Yes indeed! The price point is definitely higher for a fine badger than for an excellent boar or synthetic. I prefer badgers but YMMV is the rule!

Top Bottom