What's new

Looking to upgrade my brush

Hey all,

I’ve been wet shaving for probably about 7/8 years now.

My first, and only, brush is an Edwin Jagger Best badger. It’s been a great brush all these years, but I’m wanting to upgrade to a silvertip brush and I’m just lost and a bit confused. Who makes good brushes, what are the top makers, etc.

So I’m turning to the wealth of knowledge from all you gents that have far more expertise in the matter to steer me in a great direction.

I don’t want to say, price is no object, but I would like to hear options and travel down the rabbit hole a bit.

Added a picture of my current brush. I bought it for about $50’ish back when I started.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• D3EDB1F0-7DDA-48E9-B957-128766D86E5F.jpeg
    D3EDB1F0-7DDA-48E9-B957-128766D86E5F.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 21
I know people are going to recommend some expensive best badger brush and I am sure you will love them, but I wouldn't be afraid to dip your toes in the synthetic brush world. They are very good especially for the price. I have tried some from Phoenix shaving and like them. Enjoy the search!!

I know people are going to recommend some expensive best badger brush and I am sure you will love them, but I wouldn't be afraid to dip your toes in the synthetic brush world. They are very good especially for the price. I have tried some from Phoenix shaving and like them. Enjoy the search!!
Thank you. I appreciate your recommendation, but I do want to stay with badger hair ☺️

Maybe one day I’ll try synthetic.

Check out the brushes by the SV soap company. Superb in every way and not a hair lost in the 2 years ive had it, beautiful brushes.

Do yourself a favor and check out Whipped Dog. Larry will set you up with a great brush and it won't cost you an arm and a leg!!

Do yourself a favor and check out Whipped Dog. Larry will set you up with a great brush and it won't cost you an arm and a leg!!
Huh, wow. For those prices I don’t think I could go wrong. I love his handles too. Thanks! Definitely an option for me. I appreciate it! 👍🏼

Simpson, Rooney, M&F... so many to choose.
If you're open to a pre-loved brush check out the bst threads. Some amazing bargains there time to time.
Yeah I was looking at the BST group, I don’t mind a used brush, but for some reason I cannot message on any of the posts there and I cannot send private messages, so I cannot even get in contact with a moderator to help solve my issue. 😕

Any advice for that by chance?

Yeah I was looking at the BST group, I don’t mind a used brush, but for some reason I cannot message on any of the posts there and I cannot send private messages, so I cannot even get in contact with a moderator to help solve my issue. 😕

Any advice for that by chance?
There may be a minimum post requirement to send PMs as an anti-spam mechanic? Otherwise you'd be able to simply click on their name then click "start conversation"

Synthetics make perfect single brush options, but If it really has to be badger then...

<$50 - Whipped dog is a good inexpensive choice. So are the Yaqi Badgers. Yaqi has a 24mm 2-band going for $19usd delivered on AliExpress right now, but you'll be waiting a month or two for the brush to arrive.

$50-70 My favorite badgers in this price range are easily my WCS torch handle Silvertip and my ShaveForge 2-band. Both are completely without skritch.

$70-100 Simpson best grade - I'm personally pretty disenchantment by Simpson's best grade as mine are both really skritchy, but a lot of people love them. Ymmv, etc.

$100-200 Simpson Super, Shavemac

$300+ Wolf Whiskers or Paladin

Top Bottom