What's new

Looking to upgrade from my Edwin Jagger DE 89

I have sensitive skin. I can do 3 passes every single day and it is fine, I get some small irritation on my neck, but nothing major. I do seem to struggle with getting all the neck stubble though.

I use Gilette Silver Blues currently and I am finishing up a sample pack.

Not sure what kind of razor I should get-- a mild razor or a aggressive one?

As mentioned above the Rockwell 6S/6C would be an excellent choice, super smooth with the possibility of exploring different levels from extra mild to mid aggressive
Rockwell 6S

Everyone seems to recommend this one. Is it really worth paying 100 bucks for that? Does it provide a clean shave for sensitive skin? Is it lightweight or heavy? And I can clean shave with it every single day?

Everyone seems to recommend this one.
Another recommendation from me.
Is it really worth paying 100 bucks for that?
IMO, yes.
Does it provide a clean shave for sensitive skin?
It can with the right base-plate, blade and proper technique.
Is it lightweight or heavy?
It weighs 118 grams.
And I can clean shave with it every single day?
I don't see why not.
So they're the same? Just the weight difference? I might go for the Rockwell 6C if that's the difference.
The 6S is an all stainless-steel razor. The 6C is chrome-plated Zamak.

What are you looking to actually gain from this upgrade?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Jagger - yes it's Zamac so it might not survive beyond a decade or two of regular use, but beyond that it's just a well designed razor that just works.

If you want a lifetime razor you don't want potmetal (so if you like the idea of the Rockwell's, you want the Stainless 6S).

If you want a "challenge" of taming a beast, you can do that fairly cheaply with better materials than Zamac (brass) by buying a Fatip open comb. (These are actually pretty smooth once you crack it, but compared to the Jagger you'd notice a bit more blade)

If you want something vintage and interesting, there's plenty of good value Gillette's out there even now (I'd focus on New types and Techs, but that's just me).

If you really want one razor that can do it all then the adjustable route makes sense - either multiple plates like the Rockwell or a TTO adjustable.

If you're fairly new to this, it's probably not the best plan to invest heavily in something that may or may not be "the one" just yet... A variety of relatively cheaper and/or vintage razors can give a better idea of what you like (and bear in mind this changes over time too!!)

Last edited:
Everyone seems to recommend this one. Is it really worth paying 100 bucks for that? Does it provide a clean shave for sensitive skin? Is it lightweight or heavy? And I can clean shave with it every single day?
It's a very nice razor obviously as with all razors people's milage vary meaning technique, skin type enz, you can get the 6C for about $60 same razor but different material and chrome plated

So they're the same? Just the weight difference? I might go for the Rockwell 6C if that's the difference.
The 6S is Stainless & should last a lot longer. Shave wise they're the same. Although some people claim the Chrome is smoother than the stainless. If you can spare the money buy the 6S. If not buy the 6C. But having said that the EJ 89 is fine razor. Your technique/prep could be the issue. Not the razor.

If you want to keep it in the EJ line, I can suggest the 3one6 all stainless razor. This sucker shaves super close and comfortable. It will be more efficient than your current razor, while remaining comfortable. The Muhle Rocca is similar in performance as well.

I always recommend the Henson razor for all who will listen. It is a fantastic razor, both in Al and Ti.

Tons of great razors out there. It really depends on what you're after in an upgrade....material upgrade?...more efficient shave?....more comfortable shave?....lifetime razor?....etc.

Budget will also play a role in what folks will suggest.

Another vote for the Rockwell 6C/6S. I'd spring for the 6S if it's not too much of a financial burden, but either one is a lot of bang for the buck.

Get an adjustable like the Merkur Progress or the Parker Variant. If you want a slightly more aggressive budget three piece closed comb? Get the Maggards V3A on one of their stainless steel handles for around $20 USD.

Screenshot_20210526-144559.png

You could also throw in a Fatip Grande with the nickel finish for $23 and why not get a soap of your choice to qualify for the free shipping.

The EJ was my first DE razor and I used it pretty exclusively for a few years, until the zamak dissolved itself. I can't say I miss it, it's just too mild. But a great first razor!

Then I got a Merkur Progress, which I used pretty exclusively for a few years. Great razor!

Also got a Fatip open comb, which is fantastic and a great bargain. It has always gotten occasional use and definitely helped me dial in my technique.

Then I got a Fatip slant open comb. I fully expect to use it pretty exclusively for the next few years. It's been a miracle for me and I highly recommend trying one! It's simply fantastic- gentle, smooth, effecient. It's as close to a straight razor shave that I've ever gotten with a DE.

I have a few other razors but none of them inspires me except my Gillette Knack. It's a fantastic shaver! Cheap and mostly ignored. But for me it shaves better than any other Gillette I've used.

I've also got a Gillette Slim Adjustable that I don't have much respect for and a Tech that's just ok.

At the end of the day all you can really do is try a few that grab you and sell the ones that don't. Experimentation is the name of the game!
That goes for blades and soaps, etc too.

Enjoy!

M

Member 113878

Also got a Fatip open comb, which is fantastic and a great bargain. It has always gotten occasional use and definitely helped me dial in my technique.

Then I got a Fatip slant open comb. I fully expect to use it pretty exclusively for the next few years. It's been a miracle for me and I highly recommend trying one! It's simply fantastic- gentle, smooth, effecient. It's as close to a straight razor shave that I've ever gotten with a DE.
Did you find the slant OC smoother than the normal OC?
I have the regular and find it somewhat rough, too much blade feel.
Thanks!

Top Bottom