What's new

Looking to update some technology.

I'm looking at a laptop Mac air 13 inch and all the bells and whistles or a IPad mini..I'm was looking to taking pics and working on them with the lap top.If I go back to school, I'm going need a laptop / iPad for that..I already have over $100 in misc from Apple..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have an iPad (and an iMac) which I really love, but if you are going to be doing any moderate to difficult manipulation of photos, I think a laptop will serve you better. Plus, the video card in the laptop is going to be better than the iPad.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
+1 on the iMac. It will work better for school research papers than an iPad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I know they make a case for the iPad that has a built in Bluetooth keyboard, but I agree- an MacBook or iMac is going to be much better for writing papers on. Tablets, whether iPad or Surface, are great for general email/internet surfing in the living room while the wife is watching TV, but will fall short (IMO) for real school work.

I purchased my wife a bluetooth keyboard for her tablet. It sits in a corner, unused for months.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have my laptop for work which was a Black Friday special with an i5 processor for $349. I had an IT guy at work slap a solid state drive in it and it's beyond fast now. As I write this I'm using my iPad which I use for EVERYTHING!

Agree with the previous posters, both are good, however if you are looking to do some more serious manipulation of images I would reccomend the laptop. Even simple things like taking a screenshot on the macbook is so much simpler and easier to do and then edit. However If you are looking to travel around a lot then the mobility that comes with the ipad is quite useful.

I just got the Macbook Air 13, 8GB memory, 256GB SSD, and I love it! Really seems to be the middle of the line up for 13" Macbooks right now.

It is reported that Apple is considering stopping updates for iPad Minis and will phase the production of them out. They've found that people would rather have a giant phone instead of a Mini, and a larger tablet when a tablet is required.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you've spent 100 bones on Apple music you should really consider the monthly subscription plan. It's I think $10 per month and gives you access to all Apple Music. I've been a subscriber since day one and I just download any songs or albums I want willy-nilly.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you've spent 100 bones on Apple music you should really consider the monthly subscription plan. It's I think $10 per month and gives you access to all Apple Music. I've been a subscriber since day one and I just download any songs or albums I want willy-nilly.
Wow- I didn't know about that. Thank you oh (for a short time yet) Bearded One.

An iPad will do 90% of the "work" a laptop can, and 100% of the "goofing off on the internet" type stuff. It'll be easier to pack, lighter, and probably have a longer lasting battery. You'll need to figure out exactly what your use cases will be, even audio/video editing can be done on an iPad if you're patient and willing to put up with some extra steps.

For school you'll need to know if there are any specific programs or apps you'll be required to use, and if there are iOs equivalents available.

FYI, the iPad line is being worked on now, I'd wait till the fall if you possibly can as there will be newer updated models (and discount pricing on older ones!) The Macbook line is a trashfire now, most models haven't been updated in 2-3 year and the new ones just released are either underpowered to an embarrassing degree or so overpriced it's ridiculous.

Honestly, I'd look at a Chromebook. Plenty of great models in every price range, excellent hardward available, the platform is being updated every 6 week.... at 1/4 or less the bloated Apple pricing....

Can't ever go wrong with a late model MacBook Pro Retina 13" - pre USB-C, with as much memory and SSD storage as you can afford.

Top Bottom