What's new

Looking to try an Open Comb

I've got three shaves in a row with it now. It's even smoother now that I'm getting the angle down.
It's a candidate for daily driver status.

I do wish they'd do a stainless version with the same performance.

For a bit of a nancy boy like myself, the open combs are an experience but I earlier used the Old Type I referred to up thread. Using a Voskhod on what would be its 3rd shave, I was quite an experience (in a good way). I just have to pay attention and keep in the game. Got a wonderful shave with it. Cool shaving with a razor that's 100 years +/- old. Tomorrow, I'll use freshly restored and replated 'The New' Gillette LC and see how they compare.

I'll add another comment in praise of the SLOC. It's a great razor - mild, relatively efficient, exceedingly smooth... And the openest of open combs.
That and my Mission are my best two razors, currently, though I can't recommend the Mission, because it is one of the least open of open combs, having a solid bar...

And wanting some advice on which one is good for a newbie, I have used regular closed comb razor for a long while and thought to venture into these.
If it's just to try one out, I'd go cheap but with some quality:
Fatip classic open comb!
Made of brass in Italy and one of the best OC razors in my opinion (and many others agree too).
It's the only Open comb I own (or have owned) that I like. And it's a fantastic shaving razor!
Here:
Small handle:
Medium handle:

I also agree with the suggestions of a RR Old Type (or Merkur 15C/25C) or SLOC ---- in order of "mild" to "mild-medium"...

Of my Gillette open combs:

The Single Ring is pretty good.
I like to shave with my Old Type better than with my Single Ring.
I like my New Long Comb better than that.
I like my Goodwill even better.

I don't like to shave with my Sheraton at all.

I'd like to try a shave with their earliest models - the old style double and single rings. I've got a very nice SC Old Type and two NEW LCs. These three shave well for me with the NEWs being a bit better. Terrified of them for years, I now love them. 😍

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I wouldn’t get too excited. There is no difference
This^^^ I have SB razors that are easily twice as efficient as some of my OC razors. It all depends on which OC razor you choose. My Yaqi Mellon Head is no where near as efficient as my Weishi TTO SB razor.

Good luck on your quest 👍.

I've been looking at the Muhle R41 but would like to see what others thought

I had been shaving with the R89 type heads. I wouldn't have purchased a R41, based on its reputation. Why have a $45 razor that I might not like.

But, as another member just mentioned, you can buy the R41 head only. It is available on Amazon for $25. When I discovered that option, I decided to give it a go. If you have a 3-piece razor at present, this would be completely workable for you.

The biggest problem you will have is to get all the psychological conditioning that you have been subjected to, out of your head!

While I would not recommend the R41 to someone who is just starting out with DE shaving, for someone like yourself that has the basics down, it would not be a problem.

There is really so special learning curve or technique. Just shave with it as you do with your present razor. The only main difference is that you will have much more blade feel.

That is a good thing, because you are always aware of where your blade is and how it is resting against your face. Because you directly feel the blade, you instinctively realize that additional pressure is not necessary on your part. Just shave normally and allow the razor to glide across your face and you will end up with a terrific close shave. You don't have to try to get a BBS shave with this razor, it will do it by itself.

I use all my normal blades in my R41 head, they all shave perfectly fine. My favorites include, but are not limited to, the GSB, Lab Blues, 7 O'Clock Black's and Gillette Rubie.

Top Bottom