What's new

Looking to try an Open Comb

And wanting some advice on which one is good for a newbie, I have used regular closed comb razor for a long while and thought to venture into these.

What is your favorite closed comb razor? That might help narrow down the suggestions for an open comb razor for you. Also, what is your price range?

Knowing none of those things, I would suggest any of these: RazoRock GameChanger .68 or .84, RazoRock Lupo .95 and Fatip Grande, Piccolo or Il Grosso (all the same head with different handles). Those are the ones that I have used and liked, but there are many, many more to choose from.

What is your favorite closed comb razor? That might help narrow down the suggestions for an open comb razor for you. Also, what is your price range?

Knowing none of those things, I would suggest any of these: RazoRock GameChanger .68 or .84, RazoRock Lupo .95 and Fatip Grande, Piccolo or Il Grosso (all the same head with different handles). Those are the ones that I have used and liked, but there are many, many more to choose from.
I really enjoy my Merkur 34C, i guess the vintage Gillettes wouldn't really be considered closed combs but those are all i've used.
As for price range i would like to stay under say $100

I recently got a very old Gillette Old Type (1920's) in a pocket edition kit. Never, ever shaved with an open comb in all the decades I've been wet shaving. Let's just say in was an interesting experience and much different with shaving with a closed comb or safety bar razor. I sent if off to get serviced and replated as the top cap threads were shot (coned) so it couldn't be used with its original handle without a toothpick stuck in the handle and the whole razor was down to brass. In any event, I'll get it back within the next couple weeks and plan to shave with it more often to understand how to use it correctly. They always scared me, still do. But, IMO, it makes sense for dedicated DE shavers to try one, vintage (my preference) or new.

I recently got a very old Gillette Old Type (1920's) in a pocket edition kit. Never, ever shaved with an open comb in all the decades I've been wet shaving. Let's just say in was an interesting experience and much different with shaving with a closed comb or safety bar razor. I sent if off to get serviced and replated as the top cap threads were shot (coned) so it couldn't be used with its original handle without a toothpick stuck in the handle and the whole razor was down to brass. In any event, I'll get it back within the next couple weeks and plan to shave with it more often to understand how to use it correctly. They always scared me, still do. But, IMO, it makes sense for dedicated DE shavers to try one, vintage (my preference) or new.
I've been looking at the Muhle R41 but would like to see what others thought

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've been looking at the Muhle R41 but would like to see what others thought

Excellent open comb razor. However, it's kinda in a world of its own. On the aggressiveness scale, it ranks fairly high. DSCosmetic makes a stainless steel Muhle R41 clone called the Z0. If you just purchase the head, it's reasonably priced. Still well under $100 if you buy the head with a handle.

Excellent open comb razor. However, it's kinda in a world of its own. On the aggressiveness scale, it ranks fairly high. DSCosmetic makes a stainless steel Muhle R41 clone called the Z0. If you just purchase the head, it's reasonably priced. Still well under $100 if you buy the head with a handle.
What would be a good open comb that's not super aggressive?

If you want an inexpensive open comb razor, get the Razorock Old Type. It is modeled after the vintage Gillette and it is only $20. If you don't like it, you still have a nice solid stainless Razorock handle! :)

Karve Christopher Bradley B OC plate for a bit of a step up from 34c. More of a step up try C OC. Razo rock gamechanger OC either one. I would Stay away from Jaws models. Vintage - Gillette NEW OC - long comb or short comb.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The venerable vintage Gillette long comb New is a classic. Lots of threads on these well-loved razors here at B&B, try doing a quick search.

If you're interested to try one I'd be happy to loan a head to you (assuming Kentucky) that you can put on a handle of your own for a week or two as a test drive. PM if interested @KyLegend45

Pick it up. Insert a blade. Then Go shave. Open combs have rapidly overtaken my razor rotation. Whether Ball End Old Type, 160 0r 175 Special Goodwill, New LC & SC, they're all smooth and easy to use.
My favorite is the #175 Special Goodwill, followed by an Old Type. They're all smooth and irritation free.
20220828_180149.jpg

Nickel Old Type.jpg

+

Not sure if it'd be considered newbie friendly or not, but if you have the funds I'd go for a Blackland Blackbird with their open comb plate. I used mine for the first time yesterday and forgot how amazing it performs.

Top Bottom