What's new

Looking to start with a Coffee Grinder

I know, silly to have two grinders.
Not at all. I only have one grinder but I'm only making espresso these days. Back when I still had my Technivorm I had a separate grinder for it. Having one grinder to serve both duties can be quite a compromise and hassle.

I have looked at the Baratza Vario and I also like that a lot. One reason I was looking at the Eureka though was that it was stepless, unlike the Vario. I believe the Macap M4 is also stepless.
There are theoretical and practical benefits to stepless but many espresso enthusiasts get great results with stepped grinders such as the Vario. I don't have any direct experience with the Vario or the Mignon. I went from a Rocky, which I would not recommend for espresso) to a Super Jolly and I'm looking to replace the Super Jolly.

Last edited:
Orphan espresso lido hand grinder is another nice option to compliment dedicated electric grinders for the one off time or like me I use them for my pour over or aeropress grinds, I have both the Lido 2 and Lido 3, great hand grinders

I have, yet again, learned that trying to save money may be a costly long term strategy. After ready countless reviews, I bought Baratza Sette 270. Cheapest "prosumer' grinder. Unpacked, assemnled, set to 5E (recommend strating grind for Expresso). Too course. Dial down, and down, and down. Even at the finest setting, double shot (2 oz) pulled in 6-8 seconds. Contacted Baratza. They told me .... to shim the burr assembly. Shim on a brand new machine? Yes, they said. And they did not honor the warranty when I asked to fix it or replace the burr. Thankfully, I bought the grinder on Amazon. Back it went with a free return shipping.
Now I waiting for a bit pricier but hopefully better quality grinder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom