What's new

Looking to start with a Coffee Grinder

I am spinning. So many grinders to pick from. I am leaning towards a Eureka Mignon burr grinder. Does anyone have any experience with this grinder? I do Aeropress coffee and also want to be able to do espresso's although I do not have an espresso machine yet. In my research, I know that the grinder is one of the most important items to get. I live in a condo so space may be an issue. So, anybody have any experience with the Eureka Mignon?

I have no experience with the Eureka. I like the Baratza Vario. It comes highly recommended and is in the same budget range as the Eureka. I am loving mine, its a 1st class grinder. JMHO

I have no experience with the Eureka. I like the Baratza Vario. It comes highly recommended and is in the same budget range as the Eureka. I am loving mine, its a 1st class grinder. JMHO

I have looked at the Baratza Vario and I also like that a lot. One reason I was looking at the Eureka though was that it was stepless, unlike the Vario. I believe the Macap M4 is also stepless.

Just bought a vario w 986 from baratza, refurb. W warranty,, $429 or so.. cant go wrong, google their refurb s, even if none are shown call and ask , i did.
For aero press you may be able to go with a virtuoso.
I love my vario w, Dial in the weight for drip. Grind and brew. Support is the best.

And if you want to invest for espresso later then a vario model should work out for you.
Used on ebay with no warranty were more than a refurb from baratza.

Last edited:
Just bought a vario w 986 from baratza, refurb. W warranty,, $429 or so.. cant go wrong, google their refurb s, even if none are shown call and ask , i did.
For aero press you may be able to go with a virtuoso.
I love my vario w, Dial in the weight for drip. Grind and brew. Support is the best.

And if you want to invest for espresso later then a vario model should work out for you.
Used on ebay with no warranty were more than a refurb from baratza.

Sounds like a great idea. I will probably go that route. Thanks again!

Sounds like a great idea. I will probably go that route. Thanks again!

Good decision $bth_bf-coffee-smiley-1.gif

I am spinning. So many grinders to pick from. I am leaning towards a Eureka Mignon burr grinder. Does anyone have any experience with this grinder? I do Aeropress coffee and also want to be able to do espresso's although I do not have an espresso machine yet. In my research, I know that the grinder is one of the most important items to get. I live in a condo so space may be an issue. So, anybody have any experience with the Eureka Mignon?

I have a Baratza Encore which is much less espensive and does a fantastic job for the Aeropress, French press, Moki pot and pour overs. Basically everything except espresso.

I have a Baratza Virtuoso which I use for french press. I was thinking of getting the Vario for espresso but then decided I did not want to spend the big bucks for a complete espresso setup. I'll use the Virtuoso for french press and when I am ready to go full on for espresso then I'll get the Vario. I know, silly to have two grinders. I don't think so. The Vario is better at espresso than the Virtuoso and I have read that the Virtuoso is better at making the courser grind for french press than the Vario. Since the grind is critical, I don't think I am being silly. I'm really digging my french press coffee right now and my Caffe au Laits are coming out amazing. I would not recommend buying a grinder for something you may never pursue. If you do end up with a nice espresso machine, then buy a grinder that excels at espresso at that time. Who knows. Better grinders could come out between now and then.

Avoid the OXO Barista, been through 3 in less than a year, each replacement has been a total hassle. First failure was internal and the burr wouldn't spin even though the motor was going, second fail was the scale went wonky. Call them up and they claimed it was because I didn't know how to use it. Told them it would 'calibrate', but then I could push down hard with my hand and it still read -0-, they claimed the beans were jammed. Huh?

When it works, it is great. Nice to have the grinder do the weighing, and it does a decent grind, but won't get down to an espresso.

The customized super jolly is for espresso.

Here's a thread from a several years ago where I did the mods.

Mazzer Super Jolly Doserless Conversion

The two Forte BG are for everything else (steel burr brew grinders). I have an OE modified Kyocera CM-50 hand grinder for those times when all of the electrics have beans in them and I want to try something else

I have multiple grinders because I roast my own beans and may have several origins so need at least 2 electrics for pour over (press, moka, etc).

proxy.php

The customized super jolly is for espresso.

Here's a thread from a several years ago where I did the mods.

Mazzer Super Jolly Doserless Conversion

The two Forte BG are for everything else (steel burr brew grinders). I have an OE modified Kyocera CM-50 hand grinder for those times when all of the electrics have beans in them and I want to try something else

I have multiple grinders because I roast my own beans and may have several origins so need at least 2 electrics for pour over (press, moka, etc).

proxy.php

That pic looks like something out of Dr. Frankoffeestein's laboratory. :001_tt2:

I agree with the previous responses, Eureka and Vario models considered as good ones, I saw many postive reviws about them :001_smile Besides one of my friends uses Eureka grinder and she says that it's a fine one :001_smile
However if you don't have an espresso machine too, why not to buy a coffee maker with grinder? :rolleyes: It's a very cool and convinient combination, in this case you won't need to prepare beans firstly which personally I find rather annoying sometimes :D For example, I use this Haier Brew machine, really a nice stuff, besides it cost me only 70$ :D

proxy.php

There are a lot of such machines, try to look through these models on cozzy.org, maybe you'll find smth good for you ;)

One reason I was looking at the Eureka though was that it was stepless, unlike the Vario. I believe the Macap M4 is also stepless.
I realize serious coffee geeks insist on stepless because of infinite adjustments. However, when I want to grind for French press, then espresso, then pour-over, I love that I can very quickly dial my preferred grind setting for that brew without having to tweak and search for that 'Goldilocks' setting every other day.

I realize serious coffee geeks insist on stepless because of infinite adjustments. However, when I want to grind for French press, then espresso, then pour-over, I love that I can very quickly dial my preferred grind setting for that brew without having to tweak and search for that 'Goldilocks' setting every other day.

Stepless is only useful in espresso where a tweak either way will make a BIG difference

Top Bottom