What's new

Looking to Replace Two Razors

Right now, I almost always use two razors per shave. A EJ DE89 under my nose, around my lips, and down under my chin about 3/4 of an inch. I do that because my other razor, a QShave adjustable, head is too thick to really get under my nose and is a bit aggressive for that part of my face.

I've finally got the QShave dialed in to give a really good, close, bloodless shave at setting #3.5.

I guess what I'm looking for is something with a head with a similar profile to the DE89 but more aggressive. It doesn't have to be quite as aggressive as the QShave at 3.5, but a step or two up from the DE89. I'm considering Maggard's V3A, the RR equivalent, and the Fendrihan Ambassador/Adventurer/Scientist MkII SS razors, but any other suggestions would be great.

Muhle R41. Great Razor
proxy.php

Head from Connaught shaving. Handle from RazoRock Barber Pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um, he said Bloodless....I don't know if an R41 fits that criteria. :117:

Oddly, I don't have a size issue with the QShave, but I'm a big guy, large hands, and don't seem to have an issue around the mouth with it. (I do dial it down for ATG above the upper lip, that's my most problem area during a shave).

The Schone is smoother than most open combs, and very efficient. - A bit picky on what blade fits without having to play with it, although the Gillettes seem to fit well and sit strait 9 out of 10 insertions. (The Nacet & GSB are VERY smooth in it, I can vouch for them). A step or two down from a Muhle R41, but much easier to tame or use.

Vintage wise, the New SC is fairly easy to master, not quite as smooth as the Schone, but close. - The Schone is deceptively smooth/comfortable, so you need to refrain from applying pressure, whereas the New SC give more blade feel and you know not to press.

Last edited:
I'll second the recommendation for the Schone OC and the Gillette SC New. I would also recommend the type E Schick injector.

If you want just a step or two up fr 89, get a feather. If you use a gsb blade itis like one or two steps more aggressive than 89. If use feather blade like 3or4 steps up. Have a couple of these available, one new unused other tested by dfoulk couple of shaves. Found prefer more aggressive razors so keeping only one feather.

I think the Short Comb and E Type Injector are both great choices. A couple more to consider would be a Tech or an OLD Type.

I own both a Ming Shi 2000 (Futur clone, your Qshave) and a Maggard v3A, this one being the razor I always get back to - even though quality wise it leaves something to be desired
If you're used to the Qshave on 3.5/5 (!), the Maggard v3A is the natural choice IMO.

If you're used to the Qshave on 3.5/5 (!), the Maggard v3A is the natural choice IMO.

Thanks for the info, my understanding the RazoRock Mentor is the same or very similar to the V3A and is probably the way I'll go, unless I get some positive info about the Fendrihan MkIIs or some really intriguing suggestions for something else. I know a lot of people on here love vintage razors, but for some reason I'm not really taken by vintage. I may do some research on the Schone OC and Muhle R41 before I make a decision.

If you want just a step or two up fr 89, get a feather. If you use a gsb blade itis like one or two steps more aggressive than 89. If use feather blade like 3or4 steps up. Have a couple of these available, one new unused other tested by dfoulk couple of shaves. Found prefer more aggressive razors so keeping only one feather.

A Feather AS-D2? A bit more than I'm wanting to spend.

Why not a restored Gillette Slim, and change settings on the fly as you shave? The Rex Ambassador from Razor Emporium looks nice but too expensive.

I'm really not looking for a second adjustable. The Variant looks like it has the same problem as the QShave, too much space between the top of the head and the blade. I think I really want a non-adjustable that's more aggressive than the DE89. Maybe a Rockwell 6c since its adjustment mechanism is different than most. And I want to keep the cost below $60.

And vintage doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm really not looking for a second adjustable. The Variant looks like it has the same problem as the QShave, too much space between the top of the head and the blade. I think I really want a non-adjustable that's more aggressive than the DE89. Maybe a Rockwell 6c since its adjustment mechanism is different than most. And I want to keep the cost below $60.

And vintage doesn't appeal to me at all.
I'm a DE89 shaver, that just like you wanted a bit more aggression.

My research led me to the Rockwell 6C. It would seem to give you quite a bit of latitude in terms of aggression, and is exactly in your price range ($50 + Shipping at a vendor, or $45 with free shipping at the website using "PAINFREE" discount code).

I just got one, but unfortunately I haven't tried it yet.

However, you may be interested in my recent thread inquiring as to what plate would be equivalent to a DE89. The general consensus was 3-4 of 6. So that would seem some room to grow.

Rockwell 6 Base Equivalent to EJ DE89?

I also ordered two Fatips, for 52 bucks total:

- A Testina Gentile (safety bar)
- A Piccollo (OC)

I'm expecting the Gentile to be a nice transitional step up from the DE89 while staying a safety bar razor, and am expecting the Piccolo to be a substantial jump in aggressiveness in open comb.

Unfortunately I won't be trying these razors for several days, due to me finishing up some blade trials in my DE89. So I can't give you a behind-the-wheel test drive experience! But I thought I'd share the results of my recent research and purchase decision process.

(BTW, the Piccolo is really a nice little piece when seen in hand. Worth the 20 bucks just to look at it!)

Let me know when you do get a few shaves in. It's going to be a little bit before I make a purchase.

I do use a Fatip gentile as well, its efficiency for me is well above the DE89 but less than the v3A
In my personal scale the Fatip gentile scores high, it's a great razor, still I somehow appreciate the v3A more. You get more feedback while shaving, there's more blade chatter for one thing (possibly the blade is less stabilized due to the head design). The Fatip is quieter, with a sharp blade you almost don't notice it's mowing down the beard..

Last edited:
+1. They were a best seller for a reason. :001_smile

-1 Sorry isn't going to happen. Using someone else's razor just creeps me out. Maybe not rational, but as long as I can get a new razor, I'm not going to use what is probably now some dead guy's razor. And that's not going to change.

Top Bottom