What's new

Looking to purchase first higher end razor help.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You go with a Karve Overlander. I have one in brass and it's an amazing razor. Much better than the CB, IMHO.
The Overlander has been recommended to me many times.... by the same people who think I'll like the Blutt.... they have both in some cases and love them both... but still suggested I get the Overlander. So what did I do? buy the Blutt, of course. <eg>

Edit: I know it's probably silly but the looks of the Overlander doesn't appeal to me. And the #10-32 thread. If I did get one, I'd have it plated... so add another $70 or $80 to the final cost.

Maybe the SS model will be released soon and I won't be able to help myself. <eg>

I would get the Masamune or the Muramasa.
My Karve razors are gathering dust. Getting new base plates can get expensive. Karve G plate was not a good purchase for me:)
I like adjustable razors, and yes I use more then one setting during each shave.

With the purchase of a Tatara Masamune and a Nodachi head, you get an adjustable razor with 4 different settings but no moving parts or springs. The razor is very comfortable and light and you will definitely find your clearance. But for some reason I think that it will be a Masamune with a Nodachi roof. This works with any blade.

Reactions: JPO
It is a risk, however. I hope I like it, but you can never really know until you try it for yourself.
And I'll throw something else into that statement. The good news is that whatever we try and don't like can be sold here on the BST thread without a massive loss. So it ends up not being a huge risk.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
And I'll throw something else into that statement. The good news is that whatever we try and don't like can be sold here on the BST thread without a massive loss. So it ends up not being a huge risk.
Yeah, I agree completely. It's like an insurance policy. I'd lose a few dollars if this Blutt thing doesn't work out but not much. Without that fallback, I doubt I'd spend money like this on a gamble of sorts. I did reduce the odds, like you did, when you started that thread a few months ago about your modern high end razor quest but I won't know until I shave with it in a few weeks.

Abit more info, i really like the look of the karves and tatara. From everyone recommendations sounds like my best options are the Overlander (wich would definitely wait till ss out) or the Masamune. I really want a nice mild shaver to use every other day thats comparable to merkur but alittle nicer. Wouldnt mind smoother and more efficient if can get that from one mentioned here. Sure there is someone that has used both and i think down the road i will probably but and enjoy more razors. Appretiate all the input so far.

Don’t do it!

You’ve been shaving for only a few months. It’s way too soon for you to spend a lot of money on a razor until you have perfected your technique (and in my view, never).

I’ve been wet shaving for almost 50 years. I can shave well with any razor and I’ll bet you can to, once you get the technique down.

I’ve never spent more than $17 on a razor. I received a Fatip Piccolo OC as a gift. I have razors that cost me $0 (Tech), 3 Lords that each cost less than $8, and vintage Gillettes and Schicks, none of which cost more than $17. I get BBS shaves from all of them.

My point is that 1) these inexpensive razors are GREAT razors. You don’t need to spend a lot of money. And secondly, that with good technique you can shave well with any razor.

Don’t be sucked into spending alot of money on a razor.

Yes, what Quaznoid said is also true and you don't really need an expensive razor or even a second razor if you really don't want to. My issue is that I like collecting specific vintage DE razors even if some are not that great shavers and I'm also interested into modern razors, but if they don't perform well, they go away, since I don't collect modern razors.

Everyone is different and there are no wrong answers, just different opinions and styles.

Of course, an old timer, such as myself, would tell the OP to consider getting a Super Speed flare tip or a Ball End Tech or a 195 or a Slim or almost any vintage Gillette. Gillette solved shaving by the end of the 60's.
I'm no old timer, and I couldn't agree more with you.
OP, if you want to blow money on a new expensive razor and play that game go with a Feather ASD2, aka the $300 Gillette Tech.
MIM manufacturing process technology is da bomb.
New razors have better tolerances...hook, line, sinker lol.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There's lots of options - since you are just starting out, the razors that have multiple plates like the Karve are a good choice. I've not been impressed with Razorock, sorry ..

but as suggested a nice old Gillette or even a GEM (blade system difference) or a Schick might be in order, I like my Tatara (sold the Masume) but you need to try some different razors & figure out whether each one floats your boat .. it is a fun trip, & good luck!

I have both the Karve Overlander and the Tatara Masamune. They’re fantastic razors and highly regarded by B&B’ers. You can’t go wrong with either option.

If I were you, I’d start with the Masamune; it gives you the option to mix and match top caps and plates to suit your needs.

Alternatively, if you want to buy ONE razor that does everything consistently well, go for the Overlander in brass. It does tarnish, but that’s part of its charm and can be easily buffed back to new with simple toothpaste and elbow grease.

Don’t do it!

You’ve been shaving for only a few months. It’s way too soon for you to spend a lot of money on a razor until you have perfected your technique (and in my view, never).

I’ve been wet shaving for almost 50 years. I can shave well with any razor and I’ll bet you can to, once you get the technique down.

I’ve never spent more than $17 on a razor. I received a Fatip Piccolo OC as a gift. I have razors that cost me $0 (Tech), 3 Lords that each cost less than $8, and vintage Gillettes and Schicks, none of which cost more than $17. I get BBS shaves from all of them.

My point is that 1) these inexpensive razors are GREAT razors. You don’t need to spend a lot of money. And secondly, that with good technique you can shave well with any razor.

Don’t be sucked into spending alot of money on a razor.
Right on! (we old timers used to say, "Right on!" a lot in the 60's). ;)

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm honestly not being snarky (which may surprise long-time members) but my own experience is that if I'm feeling like asking, "I want an expensive razor; somebody give me some advice" that's a big flashing sign that really says, "Old Hippie, you don't have this figured out yet."

What I mean is that for each one of us that perfect razor is going to be different (and may ultimately be simply a fantasy). Some really like Gem format. I like it but it has some limitations for me. (Slightly more expensive blades, and get fewer shaves. But that's just me.) I'm pretty well-known for being a slant razor fan. I am, but slants aren't for everyone even though there is a lot of diversity in the slant market. I can do plain DE razors but frankly I don't get too invested in them, so I have one and it's pretty good but I don't need another one (I have the RazoRock BBS-OC; lovely razor). I have one Artist Club safety razor (RazoRock Hawk V3SB) and for me that's enough. I have several AC shavettes. I have a few slants.

Where I am in my shaving evolution at the moment is that I'm really, really enjoying the Rex Konsul adjustable slant. I have to be honest that a few years ago I wouldn't have had the foundation in technique to appreciate it. It's not the be-all-and-end-all of slants, but it's a very nice razor. It's also my most expensive razor. Some of my least expensive also give me lovely shaves. This is a hobby for me, so I can dive into whatever part of the experience makes me most excited. For me that's razors. For others; blades, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, preshaves, mirrors, dens, frankenrazors blah, blah, blah.

I don't think there is a substitute for thinking about the kind of shaving you like, reading widely here to see what others say about what they use, and trying a few. There are very few general truths in shaving; too many variables for each of us and they continue to vary as we age and acquire more experience. As you try various razors, remember that price is not the determining factor. I have a razor I bought for $2.50 that is one of my top shavers. I unloaded a razor that cost me $275 because it just didn't make me happy. But if I hadn't tried each of them and talked myself out of them instead, I wouldn't know that.

O.H.

I'm no old timer, and I couldn't agree more with you.
OP, if you want to blow money on a new expensive razor and play that game go with a Feather ASD2, aka the $300 Gillette Tech.
MIM manufacturing process technology is da bomb.
New razors have better tolerances...hook, line, sinker lol.
AS-D2s are a little over half that price new and considerably less used. But I'm curious, how do you know their made with MIM? Having three Techs and an AS-D2, I think the AS-D2 is a made better razor all around but I'm not sure it shaves any better than a Tech.

Top Bottom