What's new

Looking to move on from AoS Pure Bagder - Stuck.

Hello all. To preface, I have an AoS Pure Badger (~$50) that I've been using for a few weeks. First with Proraso, but more recently with the AoS Lavender soap. Once I tried face lathering with the soap, the experience became rather unpleasant. "Scritchy" seems to be the term.

I've done a good bit of searching around to try and find out how this brush stacks up to all the other brands, but you can't actually search for "art of shaving" or "AoS" because the key terms, Art or AoS, are too short to search for. As a result, I try and pick at individual threads and reviews, which is dizzying. I just can't seem to see where my brush stands (i.e. 5/10 on softness, 6/10 density, etc.) In the one review for an AoS brush, it's hard to tell whether it's for my brush, or the $40 starter kit's brush.

So, if any of the pros here can offer an opinion on the brush, please do so.

Also, help me with one question: If I wanted to buy a competent, non-scritchy face lathering brush for up to $75, where should I look? I have crazy sensitive skin; on my third practice face lather with the AoS brush (all three within 15 min or so) I left with my skin feeling irritated.

I know that loft and density are important in what I'm looking for, so is this the sort of thing I should look at: http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=470&cat=153&page=1

Any advice is appreciated.

Also, help me with one question: If I wanted to buy a competent, non-scritchy face lathering brush for up to $75, where should I look? I have crazy sensitive skin; on my third practice face lather with the AoS brush (all three within 15 min or so) I left with my skin feeling irritated.
I highly recommend the Shavemacs Jim at VB has on sale. They are great brushes.

agreed. can't go wrong with a shavemac. i love my 25mm silvertip. but if you're face lathering you might wanna go with the 23mm.

i face lathered with mine today and it wasn't bad if i held the base of the knot but otherwise it was too soft. worked great!

I got the AOS $50 brush FYI it will soften up very nicely but mine is almost 3 years old now so it took a while, The Rooney 1/1 you linked to is a excellent face lathering brush and is silvertip it should be plenty soft. I have the Rooney 1/1 heritage and it is a great brush.

I would get a Shavemac 177 in 23mm or 25mm at vintage blades also. They are on sale and are a great deal. If they were not on sale I would suggest the Rooney 1/1 or 3/1 for about $75 for the silvertip.

Top Bottom