What's new

Looking to get int o Straight shaving.

Others have given you plenty of good advice, what hasn't been mentioned so far is the fact that using a cut-throat razor takes time and effort to master. Many an eager novice has gone out and bought themselves a fancy razor and gear to go with it, only to fall way short of the mark of mastering the art. You can find a few of those razors on ebay, but I wouldn't recommend those to a novice, unless they were willing to pay a little more to send it off to get a fresh honed edge put on it before trying it out. Patience will get you there, well that and a properly honed razor and good technique in stropping and shaving. But you have to learn the stropping and shaving bits by doing them. When you get the gear you need, I recommend you go for it full time, shaving every day one full pass with the cut-throat all the while keeping your DE ready to go for a second pass cleanup. Never force the cut-throat. Light pressure and a firm but light grip on the razor. Enough to ensure you won't drop it, but relaxed enough that if it catches, it will stop on the spot and not be forced through. That leads to cuts. Plenty to learn about cut-throat shaves, but persistance and patience will get you to master the finest art of shaving there is. I love my cut-throats. Just remember you can get a bad shave using any shaving tool on the market, and you can get a great shve using many shaving tools on the market, providing you have good technique.

Mick

Top Bottom