What's new

Looking to get back into shaving

Hi, so after a great many years away I am looking to use a straight blade again. Are shavette razors worth considering?

Welcome back!

There is only one person who can really answer your question! (My answer, “Sure!”) :clap: :clap:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I would check in with the guys in the Straight Razor Forum. They would love to hear from you and offer some advice.

In my experience, a shavette is a great razor for getting a close, comfortable shave. But they lack the personality of a traditional straight. They are easier to maintain, but less fun to use and own.

I have and use both. But I use my traditional straights far more frequently.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Zzrpilot, yes, shavettes are worth considering, however they can require a bit more concentration that a traditional straight razor.

If you decide on a shavette, there is a good chance that you will later include a traditional straight razor in your shaving. If you are a true gentleman of (at least) modest means, you should then try a matching seven-day set of SR's.

In my experience, a shavette is a great razor for getting a close, comfortable shave. But they lack the personality of a traditional straight. They are easier to maintain, but less fun to use and own.

I have and use both. But I use my traditional straights far more frequently.

^this.

For me, the shavette was a great tool for teaching me the technique of shaving with a straight, without having to worry about the quality of my stropping and honing. I still use my shavette when traveling.

The Feather Artist Club razors are wonderfully efficient shaving tools. But the straight razor experience, in the long term, is more interesting for me. You can, and should, customize your edges for your face and whiskers.

Probably should, feather is a great shavette option as are the cheaper versions, if available.

If you havent seen a razorine, zazor? Then you might check out those shavette style DEs. You might like that!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.
A shavettte is a good introduction to using straight razors without getting into honeing and stropping.

So I did not go that route but got a Dovo 5/8 Prima silver steel razor instead..

2 shaves in with no cuts or nicks .. so far so good, and the extra wide paddle strop I got is a pleasure to use as well

Top Bottom