What's new

Looking to get a new brush

Hello all!
Now that I am back to shaving, albeit differently, I feel like adding a new brush to the den. Probably some new soaps as well, but I suppose I should leave that for a different forum. I have four currently:

- Semogue 1250
- A 1980s NOS Century Badger
- The Rudy Vey 2020 Blue handle with DO1 (Badger, I think???)
- A old Art of Shaving rando that I was gifted when I started. I believe it is badger.

What would you recommend as something nice but different?
Coarse and thick hair, sensitive skin, only shave cheeks and neck (maintain a beard).

I have thought of going Paladin as one of the seemingly "high-end" names, but open to thoughts.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would consider a small Simpson in Best, maybe a Classic 1, Chubby 1, Duke 1, 2, or 3, or a Wee Scot. If your skin is very sensitive then perhaps consider 3 band Super grade Simpson brushes. Paladin make a nice brush but like most makers these days they are on the large side, too large for me, and perhaps too large for your needs.

I would consider a small Simpson in Best, maybe a Classic 1, Chubby 1, Duke 1, 2, or 3, or a Wee Scot. If your skin is very sensitive then perhaps consider 3 band Super grade Simpson brushes. Paladin make a nice brush but like most makers these days they are on the large side, too large for me, and perhaps too large for your needs.

Simpson is definitely a name I have seen a lot. Any reason you'd think Best vs. Silvertip or something else? Curious. He has some gorgeous special edition ones. DROOL.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Simpson is definitely a name I have seen a lot. Any reason you'd think Best vs. Silvertip or something else? Curious. He has some gorgeous special edition ones. DROOL.
Best simply offer the best value for money in my opinion but it can be variable. Some Best knots are closer to Pure in feel, which I prefer, with some scratch and face feel. Some are closer to Super grade, which many like but I do not, and are very soft at the tips. If you like backbone with soft tips, and the budget will allow, then the Duke 3 Manchurian, shown on the left below, is superb - my number 1 brush.

20230204_145214~2.jpg

Good suggestions! I would pick a Simpsons with an appealing handle and configuration, so many options!!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have quite a few brushes I enjoy. The very top of my small brush collection is always my SV 2.0 Manchurians. I have 3 of them. I had 4 but passed one on via BST to help fund my Wolfman that is coming up in a month or so. Close behind is my Zenith Manchurian with the 506 solid copper handle.

I like a bit of scrub with my brushes.. not that pokey feeling... but a gentle scrub.

If you like that and want to experiment, I'd also recommend the SOC (Semogue Owner's Club) mixed knot.. badger and boar: the SOC Mistura. I had two of them.. wonderful brushes. I might regret selling them. They were excellent for me.... but I had to offload some stuff to pay for my second Athena and the aforementioned Wolfman.

I have quite a few brushes I enjoy. The very top of my small brush collection is always my SV 2.0 Manchurians. I have 3 of them. I had 4 but passed one on via BST to help fund my Wolfman that is coming up in a month or so. Close behind is my Zenith Manchurian with the 506 solid copper handle.

I like a bit of scrub with my brushes.. not that pokey feeling... but a gentle scrub.

If you like that and want to experiment, I'd also recommend the SOC (Semogue Owner's Club) mixed knot.. badger and boar: the SOC Mistura. I had two of them.. wonderful brushes. I might regret selling them. They were excellent for me.... but I had to offload some stuff to pay for my second Athena and the aforementioned Wolfman.
Adds a wrinkle!
I was at Paladin v. Simpson Manchurian as next. Likely the Simpson because my Rudy is maybe more similar to the Paladin, so would be at least slightly different.

Lord knows I’ll end up with both at some point 🤣

I agree with EclipseRedRing on the smaller Simpson Classic, Duke and Chubby do to your beard. I have a Classic 2 and Duke 2&3 which are some of my favorite brushes. I recently bought a Simpson Colonel with Manchurian hair directly from Simpson that I really like a lot. It’s small but works wonderfully with a price that I didn’t find to be outrageous.

I’ve sent an email to the folks at Simpson. Not sure if they ever do requests, so figured I’d shoot my shot.

Planning to get a Manchurian and there are two chubby’s on the site at the moment.

The next question is: How did you choose your Paladin for those that have one? Just look off the handle? Almost too many options.

As an update for those that have any interest, and because it's fun to share, I have gone over the deep end (as usual) and should have some lovely brushes in hand in the coming months. I have ordered:

1. SV 2.0 Makassar Ebony (in stock)
2. Paladin Ebonite Pirate 26 mm Cumberland Honey (in stock)
3. Semogue Owner's Club Mistura Cherry Wood (in stock)

4. M&F Heritage II TH Shaving Brush Antique Ivory w/ Tortoise Shell ring (Likely 2-3 month wait)
5. Simpsons Manchurian Chubby 1 in Butterscotch (I was quoted 3-4 week turnaround)
***SPECIAL shoutout to Anna at Simpsons for accommodating a request for this one, as it's not on the site.

I am also talking to Mr. Vey about 1-2 brushes.

This is sorta my M.O. but I think we can consider this box checked for now.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

The Muhle Silver Tip Fibre was a great surprise (in a positive way) to me. Very gentle on the skin, with enough backbone to load a hard soap. I use size M for face lathering, very nice!

Interesting. I’m discussing a boar with Rudy, who uses the Omega knot, but as I’ve never tried a synthetic, the one you mention seems highly regarded.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The SV 2.0 brushes remain my favorites by a very large margin. But it really depends on what kind of face feel someone likes.

Edit: And it only takes about 12 shaves for them to break in... All three of mine are equal. I can't feel any difference.. just the handles.. the knots are all the same.

The SV 2.0 brushes remain my favorites by a very large margin. But it really depends on what kind of face feel someone likes.

Edit: And it only takes about 12 shaves for them to break in... All three of mine are equal. I can't feel any difference.. just the handles.. the knots are all the same.
Your recommendation definitely kicked off the reading there. Don't even get me started on how much I spent on their soap and aftershaves.

Interesting. I’m discussing a boar with Rudy, who uses the Omega knot, but as I’ve never tried a synthetic, the one you mention seems highly regarded.
You might want to check Simpson’s T3 then too or Omega Roma. Great brushes with good back bone (given the beard type you mentioned in the OP).

Cheers,

Guido

As an update for those that have any interest, and because it's fun to share, I have gone over the deep end (as usual) and should have some lovely brushes in hand in the coming months. I have ordered:

1. SV 2.0 Makassar Ebony (in stock)
2. Paladin Ebonite Pirate 26 mm Cumberland Honey (in stock)
3. Semogue Owner's Club Mistura Cherry Wood (in stock)

4. M&F Heritage II TH Shaving Brush Antique Ivory w/ Tortoise Shell ring (Likely 2-3 month wait)
5. Simpsons Manchurian Chubby 1 in Butterscotch (I was quoted 3-4 week turnaround)
***SPECIAL shoutout to Anna at Simpsons for accommodating a request for this one, as it's not on the site.

I am also talking to Mr. Vey about 1-2 brushes.

This is sorta my M.O. but I think we can consider this box checked for now.

Go Crazy *** GIF
This brush only antique white

D53D9829-5F6B-4569-A73D-FF074ED6EA6F.jpeg

On 01 Jan 2023, I began using Noble Otters' synthetic brush. It lathers up nicely and is very easy to grip. For under $20 (USD) it is a fantastic item.

Top Bottom