What's new

Looking to find a brush on amazon

Good idea to try different brushes. For low cost and a good brush you could try a Boar Omega 10066. It starts out stiff but after several uses softens up nicely. Another way to go, is with synthetics, Razorock has many nice ones. Large knots like "Big Bruce" and smaller ones depending on your preferences.

I am very interested in the second. I think you are right. May as well try. Interested in what your thought are on the Semogue 1305 Superior Boar Bristle versus the omega 49? Already ordered the semogue but probably not too late to switch
I like Omega and Semogue boars and have both (also a Zenith). You cannot really go wrong, though they do have a different feel. The Semogues will get quite soft and splay out over time, the Omegas tend to keep their shape more, retain more backbone, and stay a bit more scrubby. For the Semogue, I like the 830 or the 1250 more than the 1310 because the 1310 has a painted handle that can chip or scratch.

Semogue 1305 with Omega 20102 (also a good brush, BTW):

sem-omega.jpg

I like Omega and Semogue boars and have both (also a Zenith). You cannot really go wrong, though they do have a different feel. The Semogues will get quite soft and splay out over time, the Omegas tend to keep their shape more, retain more backbone, and stay a bit more scrubby. For the Semogue, I like the 830 or the 1250 more than the 1310 because the 1310 has a painted handle that can chip or scratch.

View attachment 1074095
I am interested to feel the scrubby feel so may pivot to the omega. Plus $8.99.... what a deal it seems.

how do you feel about razo rock synthetics I don’t love that the prior mentioned synthetic is from China. Not an absolute deal breaker though.

Just a quick note. Both the Semogue (which I own) the Omega (which I bought for my cousin as a gift) need to be broken in. The Semogue will break in with about a half dozen shaves, the Omega quite a few more. So trying to compare them simultaneously while neither is full broken in will give you inaccurate results. If you are going to get both, do so in series and don't get the second one until the first one is fully broken in. The two are very different brushes. The Omega is much larger- works great for someone who doesn't have a mustache or gote-great for face latherers too. The Semogue is a better "all around" brush because it is smaller and a little less stiff. It is also softer at the tips.

Given your budget, I would consider one of Simpsons badgers (best or super grade) PLUS an appealing boar (Semogue or Zenith)! You can GET BOTH!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

View attachment 1074095

Good points. FWIW, I did not mention the 20102 because I thought the OP wanted to buy from Amazon, and I could not find the 20102 on Amazon. However, they are available here at Maggard (where I got mine). Nice brush.

given price points any greatest difference from my mid tier parker silver tip. opted to go for the the omega 49 pro ... the price is now changed, but i snagged one in white for 7.99 on amazon. needles to say i am not worried about a few cosmetic issues that may occur due to paint. ( at a $8.30 brush delivered) I will report back with how the break in goes and how the comparison with parker is. I appreciate all the help. The semogue was very intriguing, but to get such a commended brush for 8.30 i figured start there. If i hate it next move badger chubby super 2. if i like it.. we will see

Right now, I use a parker badger silvertip. I am interested in trying something different and have amazon gift card to use for it. (up to 200usd is budget - would prefer not to be wasteful though)

seems like a decent Omega selection, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=omega+brush&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

wondering if any options there would fit the bill? open to other brands too. Also, open to all types, just want to try a different experience then the badger silvertip. Nothing wrong with it, but how can i know what is best for me without trying others 8)

a little curious thoughts on.... is the parker silvertip an okay representation of a silvertip badger?

Im not experienced enough to get into back bone, bands, or other intricate details on my preferences yet.

- a developing noob

I have two Parker shave brushes (below). On the left, a silvertip badger. On the right, a black badger.

17D3A6F5-4951-4D98-9EE7-7719AE37285D.jpeg

The silvertip has soft tips, but has virtually no backbone. I don’t find it to be a good representation of other silvertips.
The black badger is a shedder and is scritchy, but has good backbone and performs really well. It was my daily driver for years.
Within Parker, the black badger is a very different experience from the silvertip. I think you’re doing right by trying out a boar brush, but don’t hesitate to try a higher quality badger brush.

I have two Parker shave brushes (below). On the left, a silvertip badger. On the right, a black badger.

View attachment 1074445

The silvertip has soft tips, but has virtually no backbone. I don’t find it to be a good representation of other silvertips.
The black badger is a shedder and is scritchy, but has good backbone and performs really well. It was my daily driver for years.
Within Parker, the black badger is a very different experience from the silvertip. I think you’re doing right by trying out a boar brush, but don’t hesitate to try a higher quality badger brush.
This is very helpful! Thank you. (The left one is what I am using currently)

I picked up a Semogue 830 a few months ago and can whole heartedly recommend it. I don't have much experience with the top tier badger brushes but once broken in I can vouch for the 830s mix of softness and decent backbone.
This is what I find unique about the Semogue boar brushes and the knot in that particular brush (same knot as the 1305 I believe, just different handle). Once broken in, the tips are as soft as a synthetic, but the base is stiffer than a badger for when you want to collapse the brush and give your face a really good scrubbing. That has not been my experience with other boars like the Omega 49; the tips get softer but not as soft as the Semogue. Also, the break in period on the Semogue is much faster.

However, if I was exclusively a face latherer, I would probably get the Omega. It is a much larger brush and holds more lather. I can see why barbers would prefer them.

given price points any greatest difference from my mid tier parker silver tip. opted to go for the the omega 49 pro ... the price is now changed, but i snagged one in white for 7.99 on amazon. needles to say i am not worried about a few cosmetic issues that may occur due to paint. ( at a $8.30 brush delivered) I will report back with how the break in goes and how the comparison with parker is. I appreciate all the help. The semogue was very intriguing, but to get such a commended brush for 8.30 i figured start there. If i hate it next move badger chubby super 2. if i like it.. we will see
I think you made the best choice. I also saw that Omega 49 and was tempted to get it even though I already have one, haha. Boars can be a bit tricky but can be tamed by adjusting your practices. Have fun!

I think you made the best choice. I also saw that Omega 49 and was tempted to get it even though I already have one, haha. Boars can be a bit tricky but can be tamed by adjusting your practices. Have fun!
Thank you! Still waiting for her to come in; argh covid-19. Must say though in these days of self quarantine, I cherish my shaving ritual even more!

If I get the tri color I will PIF the Pro49. I will no longer need it since both brushes are very similar apart from the handle. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger since the pro 49 works good for me.
Be advised, it is the same plastic handle just painted with the tri-colore. But, it does look cool!

Be advised, it is the same plastic handle just painted with the tri-colore. But, it does look cool!
There is a solid Resin tri-colored Omega brush. It's the R&B LE Omega brush. One thing to note, the knot is not like the usual Omega and is very floppy and soft. Picture shown below.

SOTD 06182019.jpg

Top Bottom