What's new

Looking to branch out from Simpson's.suggestions?

So, I've had SBAD for most of my wetshaving career, and for most of that I've been primarily a Simpson's man. Unfortunately, I've lately been through a bit of a rough patch where I totally lost interest in shaving (and everything else) for quite a while. Now that I'm getting better, I want to treat myself to a nice brush, but I don't really want it to be just another Simpson's. I was wondering if any of you gentlemen might have some suggestions.

I almost exclusively face-lather, primarily croaps and hard soaps, but sometimes creams. I generally prefer knots 22mm or smaller. While I love small artisans as much as the next guy, this's retail therapy, so right now I'm looking for something that doesn't have lead times or wait lists. :lol:

What I've been considering:

* Plisson (I'd always thought of them as overpriced and nothing special, but now I'm kind of curious.)

* Shavemac

* Whatever you guys suggest! :w00t:

My current stable (for reference):
Simpsons: Chubby 2 2-band, Chubby 2 Best, Colonel X2L, Duke 2 Best, Harvard H4, Jubilee, Major, Wee Scot

Other Badger: Da Vinvi 293, Kent B&B LE2008, M&F Blonde Badger 21mm, SOC Badger, TGN 2-band reknot 22mm, Vie-Long 2-band, WSP Monarch HM

Other: B&B Essential, Omega "Mighty Midget" Boar/badger mix, Proraso-branded Omega 49, Semogue Italian Barber LE, SOC Boar, Zenith 26mm aluminum handled

First, glad things are looking up for you!

Secondly, you have a very nice stable of brushes. I think a Shavemac would suit you well. You can either order directly from the Shavemac website, or, contact Rudy Vey and get a Shavemac knot in a custom handle of your choice.

I have had 8 Shavemacs and still have 4 (just was thinning the heard a bit). I did not really care for the DO1 grade, but do really like the regular 3-band silvertip, the new regular 2-band silvertip, and the Finest grade. For the 3-band silvertip, I think it is best in a bulb; the new regular 2-band silvertip is best in a fan; and the Finest is equally as good in fan or bulb (IMHO).

Good luck!

Last edited:
I did not really care for the DO1 grade, but do really like the regular 3-band silvertip, the new regular 2-band silvertip, and the Finest grade. For the 3-band silvertip, I think it is best in a bulb; the new regular 2-band silvertip is best in a fan; and the Finest is equally as good in fan or bulb (IMHO).

Good luck!

Sorry to jump in, but why do you not prefer the D01 knot? I too have been eying a Shavemac and thought that the D01 was supposed to be pretty good.

Sorry to jump in, but why do you not prefer the D01 knot? I too have been eying a Shavemac and thought that the D01 was supposed to be pretty good.

Excellent question - I should have stated it. I found the DO1 to be scritchy, and thus did not like it. I'm guessing that there may have been some variance in the DO1's because some people found no scritch, and others, like me, found it. Now the regular silvertips (3 and new 2-band) are very, very soft tipped.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do like a Shavemac, and I don't mind that little bit of scritch it has (at the moment--it's fading). That's not a bad choice at all for your stable.

Have you looked at Vie-Long horse hair brushes?

I've been hearing good things about Shavemac 2-band silvertip these days. Haven't given it a whirl.

You could also look into a Thäter silvertip or 2-band, probably in a "0" or "1" size (e.g. 4125/0, 4125/1) given that you like smaller knots. Pillowy soft, good flowthrough, moderate backbone. It should be a nice counterpoint to the other brushes you have in your den, especially the Simpsons.

Whatever you end up choosing, I hope you enjoy it.

I do like a Shavemac, and I don't mind that little bit of scritch it has (at the moment--it's fading). That's not a bad choice at all for your stable.

Have you looked at Vie-Long horse hair brushes?
I purchased a Vie-Long 12750 back in November and can't say it's been great for me. Nice size brush, attractive handle/hair contrast (orange/brown), reasonably soft but with enough backbone to lather soaps, but it just doesn't hold the lather the way badger does. I've got a SOC pure bristle on the way and am hoping that this will work out better. My advice would be to stick with badger or perhaps try a good boar or synthetic before being tempted by horse.

Sounds like a Shavemac is the consensus! Thanks, guys!

And thank y'all for being such an awesome community, BTW. Hanging out here always cheers me up. :thumbup:

WHOA!!!! there, no one here mentioned a Kent brush. As a face lather man myself I've ye to have a Kent that isn't good for face lathering. If your after smaller knots how about the BK4 size. An excellent brush and readily available.

The Shavemac 2 band is an excellent suggestion, in a configuration of your choice if you want something a bit sooner. You mentioned that you don't want to deal with a wait time, which is why I won't recommend a Wiborg White Badger...otherwise, I would! :thumbup1:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
what are the dimensions of your d01?

24 x 49

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437706105.285325.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Shavemac and think their 2-band silvertip hair is fantastic, so that would be my recommendation BUT you don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for production and shipping.

I would say the Thater 4125/0 2-band fan from Straight Razor Designs, which appears to be in stock. It says the size is 22mm with a 50mm loft, but I would guess the actual loft is lower. You could e-mail them to find out.

Otherwise, what about the Shavemac Finest 21mm from WCS?

Top Bottom