What's new

Looking to add new Boar brush to the stable

Good evening gentlemen,

As the title alluded to, I'm looking to add a new boar brush to my (rather small) stable of brushes. First, a few facts about me:

- I exclusively use soaps
- I exclusively face lather
- I prefer brushes w/ a knot <24mm

So far the brushes that have survived the gauntlet and earned a spot in my rotation (in chronological order... if that matters :lol:) are:

- Thater 4125/1 2-band bulb
- Semogue 620
- Simpson's Berkeley
- B&B Essential
- Slate Shaving Silvertip

So far, I'm happy with all of them. Honestly, and rather ironically, the order of preference is pretty much as listed chronologically with the Thater and 620 being the real gems. Though I face lather, I do not like a floppy brush by any means. I do like a little scritch (620 is just about perfect) and acquired, and retired, a Rooney 3/1 because it was just too floppy to use--I like my backbone.

I wanted to know your guys opinions on what would be a good fit. I would like to stick to boar as I'm a bit OCD like that. Anything and everything is appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

edit: whilst I'm pretty set on boar, I know that horse behaves similarly. Though admittedly, I know nothing about them. I'm willing to try one, however.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll find a much better boar given your requirements and preferences than the Semogue 620 (or its wooden handled compatriot the 1520).

You might want to try a mixed badger/boar brush like a Vulfix 404 Grosvenor.

I also face lather and love my Semogue 610, preferring it to my other boars, even the more expensive Semogue 2011 LE Finest Bristle 1 and SOC. It does differ from the 620, using un-dyed hair, but it may be too similar to the 620 for you.

Stick with the "Extra 75% tops" or "Best 90% tops" from Semogue (basically, whatever current production brushes that are NOT a 1305, 830, 1800, 2000, or SOC). I've wanted a 1438 for awhile now - painted handles be damned. I had a 1520 for about 3 months at the start of this, but PIF'd it to a friend as his first non-Pure badger brush...he still uses it.

I've never tried an Omega boar outside of the B&B Essential, but the 10049 has backbone to spare and will be sure to wrap your face in a pile of lather. Price is right, too.

It might be a long shot, but it might be worth trying to get a a Semogue LE Cerda off of B/S/T. It sounds like your perfect match, except that it sold out about a week ago.

I also face lather and love my Semogue 610, preferring it to my other boars, even the more expensive Semogue 2011 LE Finest Bristle 1 and SOC. It does differ from the 620, using un-dyed hair, but it may be too similar to the 620 for you.

FYI, it's not the dye that makes the hair different in the 610 vs. 620. They have different grades of hair:

610: "Best" 90% tops
620: "Extra" 75% tops

The 610 is softer, and the 620 is scrubbier. I have the 620 and really like it but will probably end up getting the 610, as well.

I'm a big Semogue fan and since you like the 620 I'll second the suggestion to buy a LE Cerda, I love mine. I didn't know Vintage Scents sold out of those, too bad.

Thank you for all your advice, gentlemen!

I don't mind it being similar to the 620, so long as its different. I'm a one-brush-one-soap kinda guy--that is, I rotate soaps, but keep the same brush for the soap every time. This new brush will have a brand new soap (Tiki) for it.

I'm going to look into mixed knots, as well. Though it might be hard to find the ones you've listed, we'll see what shows up. If nothing else, the 610 has the same fantastic handle that the 620 does (with minor differences). I guess I could always buy another 620!

I'm a big fan of omega boar brushes. If you want a great soft boar with tons of backbone look into the omega 10810. It's only $9 and is an amazing brush. It did take some time to break in but I love it when I want that scrub.

Knot: 23 mm
Loft: 55 mm
Handle Height: 54 mm
Total Height: 109 mm

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401458432.610693.jpg

Give the omega 98 a look. I have been using it the last 2 weeks and simply love it. The 98 is great with both soaps and cream and produces mounds of lather. I even think it out performs my beloved SOC.

Top Bottom