What's new

Looking to Add a "Nice" English DE Razor (EJ, T&H, D. R. Harris, TOBS)

Good afternoon, folks; didn't see anything recent on this, so here goes: I am looking to add a "nice" razor to my rotation / stash. I currently use a Merkur 23C Long Handle, which I very much enjoy. Looking to add the EJ Chatsworth, D. R. Harris DE razor (which, it appears from looking through these pages, may be manufactured by EJ?), TOBS Victorian DE razor, T&H Wellington DE razor (which seems to be very similar to the TOBS at around double the price, but is available in 4 different finishes), or the EJ Plaza. With the exception of the T&H, all of them are similarly sized and similarly priced and within a few dollars of each other; the T&H is substantially more, and while the TOBS is reasonably priced, it does not appear to be as readily available in the US and might require some pricey shipping.

Curious if anyone has had more than one of these razors and how they compared to each other. Also curious how one of these compares to the Merkur 23C, if you have one of those. My suspicion is they are all pretty similar in performance, feel, etc., but I am happy to be proven wrong. Thanks, folks!

1599667620174.png1599667690465.png1599667790549.png1599667827386.png1599667875123.png

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have an EJ DE89. It is well made and provides a mild shave. I realize it is not a Chatsworth, but it seems pretty nice to me. Despite its mild nature, it gives a very close shave with two passes of a Crystal, Personna, or Feather, my regular selection. It replaced a Merkur 23c. I like it better. It seems smoother but shaves closer with those same brands.

Last edited:
I once owned a DE89 as well and used it for several years but the threaded post broke off when I accidentally dropped the razor which I attribute to the brittle zamak.

You could replace it wrh another DE89 or EJ but I think you can do a lot better than that at a similar budget point.

A far better shaver that is probably even cheaper and that is made of solid brass is the Fatip razors with their Gentile plate. That combination will yield a smoother shave with more efficiency and it will be more robust as well. I own a Fatip Piccolo SE with gentile plate and it stands comparison in terms of shavig performance with many far more expensive razors that cost many times its cost. However it is not made in UK but in italy though.

If you're looking for a truly "nice" English razor, may I steer you in another direction? Please consider vintage Gillette razors made in England. Some of the finest razors in teh Gillette line-up are products of England. You can tell because the underside is stamped "Made in England".

Some razors for your consideration would be RFB & Aristocrat. All shave superbly! And we must include the more mundane but excellent shaving British made Fat Handle Tech.

R

romsitsa

If you're looking for a truly "nice" English razor, may I steer you in another direction? Please consider vintage Gillette razors made in England. Some of the finest razors in teh Gillette line-up are products of England. You can tell because the underside is stamped "Made in England".

Some razors for your consideration would be RFB & Aristocrat. All shave superbly! And we must include the more mundane but excellent shaving British made Fat Handle Tech.

Don't forget poor Eclipses, Darwins, Velvets, Myatts Wardonias. And the others, I skipped.

There is also a 3 piece DE razor designed by an english product designer but cnc machined in the netherlands - the hone 15 razor in solid brass. There is also a version in aluminium. It has won an international product design award.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
All of those razors look like DE89 heads with fancy handles with their proprietor's logos. The DE89 is a fine razor, and would shave fairly well. Smooth yet somewhat efficient enough for daily shaves. I have rather enjoyed my DE89s over the years. However, they are made of zamak (pot metal) and wont last a lifetime like a good brass or stainless razor. If you are looking for a old school English brand, I would second the EJ 3one6. Its a modern stainless razor with a really nice shave. Smooth and more efficient than a DE89. And it will last you until the end of days. Also vintage British Gillettes are awesome. I have quite a few and really enjoy using them. They are made of brass, and have already been in use for decades. You can will them to your great grandchildren. Those other razors are just overpriced DE89s.

The Stainless Steel Jagger 3one6 is an excellent razor, and, I believe 100% made in England.
I believe the heads on the Chatsworth etc are made by Muhle.

I can only echo the above advice to find a good vintage razor made in England. Some, like the Gillette Aristocrat and NEW razors, were the best of their type made at any time. To me, new production English razors tend to be worthy and solid, rather than great. Most are just EJ heads stuck on elaborate but not always brilliant handles. My understanding is that the EJ heads are made in England, although the links between EJ and Muhle are quite close and a bit confusing.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The Stainless Steel Jagger 3one6 is an excellent razor, and, I believe 100% made in England.
I believe the heads on the Chatsworth etc are made by Muhle.
You may not have sold the OP, but you have certainly piqued my interest in the 3one6!

All of those razors look like DE89 heads with fancy handles with their proprietor's logos. The DE89 is a fine razor, and would shave fairly well. Smooth yet somewhat efficient enough for daily shaves. I have rather enjoyed my DE89s over the years. However, they are made of zamak (pot metal) and wont last a lifetime like a good brass or stainless razor. If you are looking for a old school English brand, I would second the EJ 3one6. Its a modern stainless razor with a really nice shave. Smooth and more efficient than a DE89. And it will last you until the end of days. Also vintage British Gillettes are awesome. I have quite a few and really enjoy using them. They are made of brass, and have already been in use for decades. You can will them to your great grandchildren. Those other razors are just overpriced DE89s.

+1! This^

In summary, you can go with an EJ 89 with a fancy handle or you can upgrade with one of the following:
1. 3one6
2. Vintage English Gillette
3. Other Vintage English brand

Wow - many thanks for all of the comments! I will admit I didn't expect, "You can't go right with any of them, since there are many better options." :)

You all have given me much to consider, and I appreciate that very much. I had not considered the 3ONE6, but the more I read about them, the more intrigued I am. I was glad to see there are some different finishes and that it seems to be a more hefty razor as well (85g for the knurled model, according to EJ). And while I have a couple of vintage Gillettes, I hadn't really considered the English-made Gillettes.

I will reevaluate my search in view of your comments, and REALLY appreciate the feedback! Thanks, all!

Top Bottom