What's new

Looking into shavettes.

Basically i was looking into a cheap and reliable shavette. Got any tips? I'm a student so please dont suggest i get a feather AC :laugh:. And sometime i will get straight razors, but my budget can handle only one rabbit hole at the time.
thanks in advance

Basically i was looking into a cheap and reliable shavette. Got any tips? I'm a student so please dont suggest i get a feather AC :laugh:. And sometime i will get straight razors, but my budget can handle only one rabbit hole at the time.
thanks in advance

Equinox on Amazon for less than $15. Holds a DE blade and the blade holding mechanism is better than the Parker "pinch" mechanism. Has heft but feels cheaply made.

I used one of those before I switched to an IBC (which is cheaper Han Feather but not "cheaper")

Ok, found out i dont really need a shavette. Sent an email to larry at whipped dog to see if he can hook me up with a straight and strop kit.

I started with a shavette to get the hang of straight shaving before moving up yo the real thing. If you do decide to go shavette I highly recommend the dovo shavette. Hasn't steered me wrong.

That is a good way to go. Get the kit with the pasted balsa, unless you want to make one yourself. The balsa has really been useful to me. The shave ready Gold Dollar 66 razors from life2short1971 that you see pop up on the marketplace are quite good as well. However, shipping to you might cost as much as the razor.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Larry will get youoff to a good start. A lot of newbies on this forum started out with a Whipped Dog razor. Get a second razor, when you can afford one. It is good to have at least two razors so you can still shave with the second one while trying to hone the first one, or sending it out for honing.

A cheap shavette from amazon or fleabay will USUALLY be okay. $5 USD to $15 is a pretty good range. Go cheaper at your peril. I have gotten some for around $3 that worked okay but buyer beware. The one I usually use is the "Magic Razor" brand, sold by Sallys, a large chain of beauty supply shops in the U.S. and they currently run around $9 I think. Most of the ones in this price range will do the job just fine. If you have money to burn, sure, go for a big name shavette, but on a tight budget, there is no need to get fancy. I prefer the ones that use half of a DE blade, just because the blades are so cheap and so wickedly sharp, (I use Feathers) and actually last longer than the more expensive shavette or hair shaper blades, at least for me. When buying a DE blade shavette, get two. That way when you snap a blade in half, you have a shavette for both halves and don't have to worry about where to store the other half.

A shavette makes a good backup or travel razor. No need to pack a strop, and no worries about dinging up your blade and not having anything to shave with.

I'll add that picking up a shavette is not a bad 2nd razor to own (I recommend the Dovo along with a pack of their longer blades). Sometimes you just don't have time to strop, and the shavette is my goto for quick mornings. Using the longer Dovo or Personna blades (you'll need to acquire the green Personna blade holder) - it's very close to using a round tip straight razor. Other shavettes that use full/half DE blades usually expose the corners of the blades and not only didn't feel similar to my straight razor, the corner exposure caused most of my bleeding... YMMV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom