What's new

Looking for your first handgun?

When someone first gets their permit, they are normally unsure how to go about purchasing their first handgun. I have had this conversation both online and in person with a few people and tell them all the same basic thing. So I thought I would type this up and post it here. If it is not appropriate here, then please remove it or let me know. I am not any type of expert in anything except being me. So with that said, here goes!

So you have decided to purchase a handgun. Congrats! Not sure what steps to take next? Here is a suggestion on how you could proceed. This is the process that myself and the wife used to decide. Basically, you are going to do a personal review of possible handguns. Of course, you will have to find a range that rents firearms or even some friends who would let you try theirs out. I will not discuss the different calibers or holsters.

1. First thing is to get yourself a new pocket sized notebook and a pen or pencil.
  2. Write down (at the top of the page) what type of a handgun(s) you think you would like. Put one per page. Be sure to leave room on the back of each page in case you need more writing space. More on this below.
  3. Any from the list that you have decided are just not right for you, cross off your list.
  4. Look online at some reviews (both written and video).
  5. Look for what types of accessories are available. Holsters, night sights, replacement grips, lights, etc. Is it easy to "field strip" for cleaning?
  6. Look for average prices online and local shops.
  7. Now go through your list again and see if anymore drop off the list.
  8. Now go back and shoot them again, take more notes.
  9. Go back home and decide which one would be the best choice for you. If you still can't decide, that is fine. Just do your research and narrow down your list again.
  10. Once you have the decision made, don't run right out and make a purchase. Look at different shops to see who can give you the best deal (notice I did not say lowest price).
Item 2 continued.
Types of information to write down.
Make:
Model:
Caliber:
Price:
How does it fit in your hand? Is the comfortable to hold?
Are the controls (saftey/decoker, hammer, slide lock, magazine release) easy to reach?
Are there any protrusions that could possibly get caught on anything when drawing from a holster? Any sharp edges?
Are the sights easy to see? Try blinking your eyes while looking at the sights.
When shooting it, is it snappy? Easy to shoot? Easy to control?
Does it have any accessory rail? Do you really need one?
General notes about the handgun.
Yes / No / Maybe

This may not be a perfect process but it is a place to start. You may start this off with a specific handgun on mind only to realize that there is something else that fits you better.

Just my humble thoughts.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well thought out, sir. I like that you didn't mention revolver or semi auto. Good job.

IMHO, the first question should be WHY.
Firearm is just a tool. Ask your yourself why do you need it and what would like this tool to do?
Are looking to for a sidearm while traveling in Alaska backcountry? Or are looking for personal protection and want to carry AIWB? May be you want to join the IPCS?
After that deside on the price point, try, buy, practice.

Unlike cars, firearms hold their value well. You can always trade it for another.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cool post! I did not do any of those when I bought my first handgun. I simply decided I wanted one and went and got it. I bought one based on price. A cheap one. S&W SD9VE. I’m not at all disappointed with it.

My first handgun was purchased as a duty weapon, indeed a tool; no real room for variation(s).
Per General Orders, you did not have a lot of options.
4” revolver, S&W or Colt. Chambered for .38 Spc. or .357 Magnum.
Finish and grips were your preference.
I found a decent deal on a S&W Model 19-nickel.
Carried it for many years. Wish I still had it.

Or you could just buy a used glock 19 and save yourself a lot of shopping. Easy to use, utterly reliable, not very expensive, virtually indestructible :)

Kidding aside, this is a good list to consider, especially if you are a woman and get an improperly trained gun shop employer who just pushes you towards a .380 pocket gun or .32 revolver in chrome with pink grips :p

Many first time gun buyers who don't know any better talk to the person behind the counter and take what they say as gospel. I went in and a counter guy tried selling me a Kimber. At a different shop, a guy tried telling me that I had to get a Glock as a first gun. I guess they would have changed their sales pitch if they knew I served for 15 years. Mainly followed the procedure for the wife since I already knew I was goign to get a CZ75 since I fired a few in Germany.

I would add intended purpose as ShaverGN stated as a consideration.
I would also add to stay away from "pocket" pistols for a first pistol. Grip, sighting, and control are going to be fun enough to learn for a new handgun shooter, there is no need to add the frustration of a short sighted jumpy little thing without enough grip into the mix.

What's a permit????????????

Honestly every state I have lived in has not required permits. As the holder of a federal C&R license, I just recently ordered a handgun via the internet , a K frame S&W revolver, which is still being made, in more modern calibers( I wanted this one specifically to match a rifle), and had it delivered via UPS to my front door.

Most states require a permit for carry, but there are a few, NY and NC that I know for sure, that require a permit to purchase. Well, NC requires a permit to purchase. NY you have to have your carry license first, then each pistol you purchase must be "added" by the sheriffs office to your permit.

When I originally wrote that, I had intentionally stayed away from things like "intended purpose" , "stay away from any specific type", "look at this type and not that type". I did so to leave it up to the individual to decide since everyone has different preferences and expectations. If someone wants a .22LR for their first gun, fine! If someone wants a .50 cal Desert Eagle, fine! Bt the decision is up to the individual and part of researching different types.

The one thing that worked for me was to go to a shooting range and rent various handguns to see what I felt comfortable with. I did not follow this advice with my first purchase: a S&W snubbie. I bought this .38 and discovered that it was not a comfortable revolver to shoot! I then went to a shooting range and rented out a different gun every time. My second purchase was a Glock 19 one of the pistols I tried and I use this one today.

One of things I tell folks is to find someone they know (if possible) and talk at length with them. Then (if they can) find a range to try out and compare guns. Hand fit it important. I also advise the not to listen to the counter person. When someone ask me, I try to get them to come shooting with me and try each of my guns. I also belong to a program where I can send out an email and ask friends to bring guns that the new shooter might be interested in (as long as the new shooter buys the ammo). We are all different, and showing someone one type of gun or another and suggesting that it is the best starting point is ridiculous.

Most states require a permit for carry, but there are a few, NY and NC that I know for sure, that require a permit to purchase. Well, NC requires a permit to purchase. NY you have to have your carry license first, then each pistol you purchase must be "added" by the sheriffs office to your permit.

In my home state of La, open carry has always been legal. Concealed carry requires a license. Here in Tx now, a concealed permit allows both open and concealed carry.

Most states do not require a permit to purchase, only to pass a background check. Here in Texas if you have a concealed license, the background check is waived, just go in, pick out a gun, fill out the paperwork, pay, take possession of it and leave. With a C&R license you can purchase a firearm that is over 50 years old by just providing a signed copy of the license to the seller. A few weeks ago I did this, signed the copy, then copied it to my computer and e mailed the copy to the seller. You should know the laws in your state and abide with them, and the seller should know, but may not . Another point, anything made before 1898 can be purchased without any background checks or paperwork, on a Federal level, as it is considered an antique. Some revolvers, a lot of rifles and shotguns that have virtually identical modern versions are out there, example Colt Army revolvers, Winchester M94 rifles, and various Mauser rifles.

Here in NY a permit is needed to purchase a handgun, and each gun is listed on your permit. When you add or subtract a gun from your collection you need to ask a judge to amend your permit. Any person over 21 could be charged with a felony if they touch a handgun without a permit. Even at a gun shop they will not hand you a gun to look at if you do not first show you a permit.
Also there are at least two different kinds of permits; an unrestricted (full concealed carry) permit or restricted permit where you can not carry the gun concealed but you can have it at home, while hunting or at range.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here in NY a permit is needed to purchase a handgun, and each gun is listed on your permit. When you add or subtract a gun from your collection you need to ask a judge to amend your permit. Any person over 21 could be charged with a felony if they touch a handgun without a permit. Even at a gun shop they will not hand you a gun to look at if you do not first show you a permit.
Also there are at least two different kinds of permits; an unrestricted (full concealed carry) permit or restricted permit where you can not carry the gun concealed but you can have it at home, while hunting or at range.
Don't you feel safe knowing that the Great State of New York is so concerned about your handguns that they keep track of them?

Top Bottom