What's new

Looking for volunteers - new scent!

The vial arrived in the mail.

First test was of the scent. This post will speak to that.

I opened the vial. Smells exactly like almond extract. Dabbed some on my wrist. Same. I wafted it under my wife's nose without saying what is was. "Almond extract?" was her reply. So, we agree that it smells like almond extract. Dead ringer.

The scent was 100% gone within an hour.

So far, I like the scent. It's also probably good that it disappears completely very quickly because, as much as I do like the scent, I wouldn't actually want staying power out of it else I'd get sick of it really fast.

Would I buy it? Based solely on this first impression, probably not high on my personal list. I do like it for what it is, but I prefer something with a little more staying power, and more complex scent profile.

This, IMO, is a niche scent for someone that wants to use an aftershave, likes the warm, sweet (but not sickly), tasty scent of almond, but doesn't want any projection/sillage whatsoever. For that use case, it would work great because the scent is GONE in under an hour. But that's not me, typically. Maybe if I had a larger collection of aftershaves and wanted one to fill that niche.

I have not yet used it post-shave, but will report in again when I do to rate the feel!

Captain, delighted to be a tester of your new scent.

I took a whiff from the vial the day before using it - I really enjoy almond as a scent, especially in shaving and bath soaps, and also as a taste in food products, even the sweeter stuff like marzipan. Since there are few to no almond-themed aftershaves that I know of, this seems to fill a niche. It would also go well with a number of soaps I can think of - even Tabac.

Today I used the aftershave when I shaved after my shower. Thought Cella would be the perfect soap to prepare for it, and so after my shave, poured a generous amount into my hand and spread it all over my face. The skin feel had no detectable burn like your Bay Rum and Sandalwood AS seems to (I don't mind the typical alcohol burn but I don't look for it, either - I don't really care either way about that), and from what I could tell, it felt soothing and satisfying, as if it had some healing properties. I liked that. I wouldn't change whatever you did, there. I made sure not to use anything else on the face but the Cella soap and water so it wouldn't compromise my first impression of the AS.

About the scent, it seemed to morph gradually into a very pleasant sweeter and familiar marzipan/almond sugar cookie aroma over the next five minutes. Lovely, but I would probably prefer a "drier" almond scent that resembles the scent of most almond shaving soaps, even if it was combined with vanilla or powdery notes to be less reminiscent of a bakery. As is, it could be a Christmas-themed scent. The scent basically vanished within five or ten minutes, but a couple of hours later if I wiped my hand with my face, it was still there. If the weather were warmer today perhaps it would be a little stronger. I do detect possibly - possibly - a subtle powdery note, of which I approve ;).

Would I buy it as is? Maybe. If the almond were a little drier and/or it lasted longer/were scented more strongly, I would, for sure. I guess on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 7 or 8 as is, not higher mostly just because it fades fast. I like AS to last at least a half hour to an hour, better if longer.

If you have any questions for me, let me know.

I can report my sample arrived this afternoon, and I'll put it to use tomorrow.
Admittedly my initial sniff was a bit confusing as I picked up vanilla as the strongest note.
It took me a few whiffs and pauses to catch the almond, and now that it's there there's no mistaking it for almond.
There's definitely a sweetness to the aroma, it is a very pleasant scent.
I applied like a cologne, a dap behind each ear down my neck and on my wrists to try out the scent.
The scent didn't stick around very long, but it wasn't the proper application for the product either soooo...I'll report back tomorrow.

Thank you again for the opportunity, I hope this helps!

Well good to hear that you’re ok. Sounds scary though.
As I was falling, everything went into slow motion. I could see the wall coming, but was helpless to stop it. I hit right on the corner where the wall meets the window. I remember thinking, “don’t hit the windows.” I figured that I had fractured my scull and my neck. But the CT scans say that all is well.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
As I was falling, everything went into slow motion. I could see the wall coming, but was helpless to stop it. I hit right on the corner where the wall meets the window. I remember thinking, “don’t hit the windows.” I figured that I had fractured my scull and my neck. But the CT scans say that all is well.
Yikes. That sounds like a close one. I guess you can blame the experimental aftershave 🙂

Glad everything checked out.

Yikes. That sounds like a close one. I guess you can blame the experimental aftershave 🙂

Glad everything checked out.
I think Scott might have a problem with that. Personally, I’m blaming a lifelong tendency to be clumsy, old age & neuropathy. I went to step sideways to make a path and didn’t get my leading foot fully off the ground.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think Scott might have a problem with that. Personally, I’m blaming a lifelong tendency to be clumsy, old age & neuropathy. I went to step sideways to make a path and didn’t get my leading foot fully off the ground.
Hmm I’m not too sure. Based on some day time tv commercials I’ve been seeing you might be entitled to some valuable benefits. No fee unless successful 🤣😂😅

I was able to get a shave in this morning on both my face and head. I put the Captain’s aftershave on and enjoyed a light almond fragrance for the next hour or so.

Goodness, glad you're ok TexO ;)
I gave a go with my sample after a hot a hot shower and shave. Followed my normal ritual basically. A favorite soap, @greydog striking maple brush, Fatboy on 9 with a new Feather blade, going on 2 days growth.
I expect, or I guess desire, a good burn that this simply didn't deliver for me. I will say it'll give a little sting initially, but stops there immediately.
Some may find this very desirable, I'm curious if intentional.
The scent is nice, but doesn't linger strong or long enough for me. I gave a healthy splash and after a few hours it's just not there any longer.
All this said, I'll look forward to buying a production sample, and will report back a comparison!
20210313_212735.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve been using the remainder of the test vial trying to further evaluate the scent profile. It’s definitely nice. There’s a sweetness to it. I’m just not sure if that’s almond or vanilla or as others were saying an extract. After reading other reviews my mind now goes to baking somehow. Almond. Vanilla. Ice cream cones? Is it a familiar scent that way almost like cookies. I’m not sure. My biggest takeaway is this is the most fleeting scent I think I’ve tried. I can barely get a whiff 5 minutes later after really trying. Bottom line. I’m not sure I like the scent. I wanted to love it. I thought I did after sniffing from the bottle initially. But I’m just not sure after using it and testing the scent. It does feel
Like a unique scent compared to my inventory.

I’ve been using the remainder of the test vial trying to further evaluate the scent profile. It’s definitely nice. There’s a sweetness to it. I’m just not sure if that’s almond or vanilla or as others were saying an extract. After reading other reviews my mind now goes to baking somehow. Almond. Vanilla. Ice cream cones? Is it a familiar scent that way almost like cookies. I’m not sure. My biggest takeaway is this is the most fleeting scent I think I’ve tried. I can barely get a whiff 5 minutes later after really trying. Bottom line. I’m not sure I like the scent. I wanted to love it. I thought I did after sniffing from the bottle initially. But I’m just not sure after using it and testing the scent. It does feel
Like a unique scent compared to my inventory.
I like the scent, I just wish it lasted longer. The first time I used it, my wife said she could still smell it an hour later. I could not.

Like Rhody, I am reminded of baking when I smell it. The Mrs likes the scent, but I’m pretty meh about it. I’ll going to cover it with moisturizer, and spritz on Kouros if I’m going out.

BTW, When I read Rhody’s posts, it manifests in my head with the voice of Bones. Any else hear the same thing?

Same shave today with Sudsy's Pink Peppermint. This time I went overboard with the splash and used a lot more than I normally do. Definitely felt a little bit of a sting, just a little, which I'm good with. I will say though, with the increased volume used, for a few seconds until it evaporated a bit the alcohol smell way overpowered and covered up the scent. It was a bit unpleasant for a few moments. In light of that experience I will acquiesce and move my opinion to the other side that perhaps the scent could do to be a little stronger. Just a little though 🙂

Is this an ingredient? I’m not sure if this is a criticism or what. I suppose I need to take to google.

Not a criticism at all - it is what you find in almonds, faux almond oil, etc. Just google it.

Mine has been received but was away all last week. Looking forward to giving it a go!

First test sniffs are great. Wife liked as well which always matters :)

Top Bottom