What's new

Looking for volunteers - new scent!

Reading the other review where the poster says he detects zero alcohol content makes me wonder if we were given different formulations, or if we all have the same? I can definitely smell alcohol, and feel the resulting sting.

Yes, everyone has the same formula and it is alcohol based like all of our aftershaves.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Yes, everyone has the same formula and it is alcohol based like all of our aftershaves.

Cool man! Thanks for the clarification. I was positive it had alcohol. My take on the evaluation is that the scent is beautiful, but doesnt last nearly long enough for me. If thats your intent, then its all good. I very much appreciate the opportunity to participate!

Day 2
Another fine shave with the New SC, Personna Platinum Chrome blade, Colonel X2L, and Schafmilch.
I definitely like the Almond AS.
This morning I appreciated what my wife said; after applying I thought I detected vanilla but then discerned the almond. This is a warm and friendly way to start a day. Thanks, Captain!

Day 3
What a great way to start the day!
A good shave followed by Almond afershave.
A friendly way to greet the morning and my wife.
A very nice scent and great post shave feel.
Ed

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Further evaluation of the scent: it’s very nice and pleasant. I’m getting less vanilla and getting more of the almond scent and cherry. It actually made me check the 45th to compare.

Good morning,

I received my sample and splashed some on my face this morning but have not used it following a shave yet. Pleasant scent out of the bottle with very direct sweet almond with a hint of a cherry aspect to my nose. The splash feels thin without being watery. To me the texture comes off as an appropriate balance between alcohol and witch hazel and/or other 'skin food' type ingredients, but I'll have to see how it feels following a shave. I find the scent rather evocative of a dessert, rugelach or biscotti made with almonds comes to mind perhaps. In this situation I vote for the milder scent as preferable; within 5-10 minutes of application I was no longer getting any whiffs of it. I think I am happy with the scent strength, with the concern being that a stronger scent may be too gourmand and off-putting for some. While certainly enjoyable for a few minutes, I'm not sure it's a scent I would want on me all day.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had another shave with the experimental Almond splash today. When I went to pour it out of the vial, a lot more come out onto my hand than I usually use. So i splashed it all onto my face. The smell was stronger, and lasted a good bit longer as well. I can still get a whiff of it an hour later. The face feel is very nice as well. I guess the amount of splash used is quite subjective. But in this case, if I apply a good deal more than I usually use, I can get the longevity and face feel I desire with this stuff. However, in all uses, and all of the amounts tested over the last few shaves, the scent has been terrific.

The AS arrived late yesterday afternoon. I plan to use it for the first time today. A simple sniff of the bottle smells good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

First use and impressions: Scent out of the bottle made me think of delicious macaroons. This is a very pleasant scent that paired well with Col. Conk's almond soap. Application after the shave produced a very mild sting in one or two areas that passed quickly. I really enjoyed the silky skin feel for several hours after the shave; skin felt similar to Capt. Choice Lime AS, the only other Capt. Choice AS I have tried.

The almond scent is delightful, subtle, and well balanced. It is not perfumy or over-sweet. Cella soap has more cherry/fruit scent; this AS is more almond-forward. It works very well as an after shave scent. It is a much milder scent than CC Lime and dissipates much more quickly. I did not detect the smell from my shaved face, but could smell a faint sweet almond scent on my hands for about two hours when sniffed close to the nose.

After last night's shave, I applied the Captain's Experimental Almond aftershave, again. My results were largely the same as before.

The splash was wonderfully fragrant fresh out of the bottle but the almond aroma quickly dissipated after applying to my skin. I made sure to apply some splash directly to my upper lip this time and also on my chin. The only difference between my first trial and this trial was that I felt a brief sting on my lips, indicating there was possibly some alcohol in the splash. Yet, I didn't feel that sting on the weeper on my upper lip (I'm starting to think the Dorco ST-300 is not for me) nor on my chin where I accidentally nicked myself due to inattention.

Tools
Razor: WCS 88s with WCS-CG Toothsome head

Blade: Dorco ST-300

Soap: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Brush: Van der Hagen Starry Night 3-band silvertip

Alum: Generic block from Indian market

Splash: Captain's Experimental Almond

Balm: Nivea Sensitive Soothing Postshave

Background
This was my third shave with this particular blade. After my shower (during which time I soaked my brush and bloomed the soap), I did a two pass shave (WTG, ATG) with touchups. As with my last shave, but I wound up with a weeper. I also nicked myself when I got a bit careless.

After I set down my razor, I applied alum and felt a significant bit of sting across my face. I waited for the alum to dry then rinsed it off and toweled my face dry before applying the Almond aftershave splash.

Review of the Almond Splash
As before, when opening the bottle and holding it under my nose, I detected the aroma of almond extract. It was light but very pleasing.

I poured out some splash and applied it to my face. I then poured out some splash and applied it to my upper lip. Next I poured out some splash into my other hand and applied it to the other side of my face. I also poured out some more splash and applied it to my chin and neck.

Unlike last time, this time I felt a bit of a sting. However, this was felt on my lips only. There was no sting on my weeper nor where I nicked myself.

As before, I took a deep breath through my nose and noticed that there was no almond scent.

I remembered not to apply any balm this time around. My face felt a bit more irritated than last time.

Scores
Based solely on this experience, I would grade the splash as follows:

Scent in the bottle: 9 out of 10
Scent as applied: 0 out of 10
Disinfectant: 0 out of 10
Strength of scent: 0 out of 10
Healing/soothing: 0 out of 10
Overall: 2 out of 10

The postwoman finally dropped my sample by today, after I had already shaved. When I got home from work and saw the package I decided to do a second shave of the day. After the shave, instead of the alum block, Hyaluronic Acid and moisturizer, I put on the sample almond scent that the Captain sent me to test. It was a pleasant aroma. Not overpowering, but there nonetheless. Now three hours later, I still catch a whiff of it. The most important part is the wife loves it. I’m not an aftershave guy, but I might just become one. Now how do I use moisturizer with aftershave?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just had my first splash with this stuff. I shave in the mornings using aftershave balm so I will comment onthe aftershave properties then. I will use this post to just address the smell.

Which, is one of the very best smells I have ever had the pleasure of smelling. Almond, cherry, baking, winters at home. Seriously one of the best smells I have ever smelled.

I maybe did not apply enough, because it was gone within a few minutes. Even rubbing my neck to smell my hands, I get nothing.

I will apply more in the morning and hopefully the scent will stick around longer!

The postwoman finally dropped my sample by today, after I had already shaved. When I got home from work and saw the package I decided to do a second shave of the day. After the shave, instead of the alum block, Hyaluronic Acid and moisturizer, I put on the sample almond scent that the Captain sent me to test. It was a pleasant aroma. Not overpowering, but there nonetheless. Now three hours later, I still catch a whiff of it. The most important part is the wife loves it. I’m not an aftershave guy, but I might just become one. Now how do I use moisturizer with aftershave?
Apply the aftershave splash, wait for it to dry, then apply the moisturizer.

I do something similar. The difference is I apply an aftershave balm instead of a moisturizer.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
After my shave this morning, I applied hyaluronic acid and balm, let it dry down, and then applied this.

Incredible feel. 99% of all splashes I have ever used cause redness, burning, and generally make my skin feel worse.

This has never been true for Captain's splashes. They are the only splash that doesn't irritate the eczema on my hands. Applied after a balm, they actually make my skin feel better. This splash is no exception. Little burn, and then it just feels great.

And the smell! I thought I had used too little yesterday, so I really put on a lot of the splash. It smells divine. Seriously one of the best things I have ever smelled. But, it does not last long enough.

Within 15 minutes, I could smell nothing. Even my scented balms have much more staying power. It is a great aftershave in all respects, but, personally I could not buy this as is. I like to be able to touch my face and get a whiff of the aftershave throughout the day. Doesn't need to have massive sileage like PAA's splashes - those give me headaches. But I do want to be able to smell it a teeny bit.

Captain, I am exceedingly grateful to have the chance to try this. If you can figure out a way to get the scent to stick around, I will buy!!

I grabbed the almond again with my shave this morning, which was with Pink Peppermint by Sudsy Soapery. After loading a new Nacet into a Gillette red tip and whipping up a creamy lather in my trusty Captain’s Choice lather bowl using a Paladin badger, we were off to the races. I had a few days worth of growth to take off which can sometimes irritate my face a little more than a daily shave. After a fairly smooth shave with no nicks I used the almond splash and was again enveloped in that warm sweet scent with cherry undertone. The splash has a pleasant consistency with no burn and a nice face feel after use. This time I appreciated the alcohol more by the mild additional cooling effect on my peppermint/menthol sensitized face. Again, scent was pretty fleeting and faded shortly. I normally only use a couple drops of aftershave so perhaps I’ll be more generous next time to see if that affects longevity. That’s more for academic curiosity as I remain of the opinion in my first post that this type of scent is better suited as mild. It’s not a slam dunk for me but I would certainly consider purchasing this product as is, as I enjoy food and gourmand scents. The question for myself is, what soaps would I generally pair it with?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I grabbed the almond again with my shave this morning, which was with Pink Peppermint by Sudsy Soapery. After loading a new Nacet into a Gillette red tip and whipping up a creamy lather in my trusty Captain’s Choice lather bowl using a Paladin badger, we were off to the races. I had a few days worth of growth to take off which can sometimes irritate my face a little more than a daily shave. After a fairly smooth shave with no nicks I used the almond splash and was again enveloped in that warm sweet scent with cherry undertone. The splash has a pleasant consistency with no burn and a nice face feel after use. This time I appreciated the alcohol more by the mild additional cooling effect on my peppermint/menthol sensitized face. Again, scent was pretty fleeting and faded shortly. I normally only use a couple drops of aftershave so perhaps I’ll be more generous next time to see if that affects longevity. That’s more for academic curiosity as I remain of the opinion in my first post that this type of scent is better suited as mild. It’s not a slam dunk for me but I would certainly consider purchasing this product as is, as I enjoy food and gourmand scents. The question for myself is, what soaps would I generally pair it with?
Cella. Bam, done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

First use tonight. My wife did the testing, on my neck. She said it wasn't very strong, but agreed that it is typical for an AS. She definitely likes the scent. It hss a slightly sweet sent without being overwhelming. We will have to see how long it lasts. The only other AS I have is also from Scott and seems to last a two or three hours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

After tonight's shave, I applied the Captain's Experimental Almond aftershave, again. My results were pretty similar to my previous ones.

The almond aroma was as fragrant and as fleeting as before. As with my last shave, I made sure to apply some splash directly to my upper lip this time and also on my neck where I'd given myself a weeper. The only difference between my first trial and this trial was that I felt a brief sting on my neck--but not where I had a weeper! I have no idea what's going on!

Tools
Razor: WCS 88s with WCS-CG Toothsome head

Blade: Dorco ST-300

Soap: Arko shave stick (pressed into a jar)

Brush: Van der Hagen Starry Night 3-band silvertip

Alum: Generic block from Indian market

Splash: Captain's Experimental Almond

Balm: Nivea Sensitive Soothing Postshave

Background
This was my fourth shave with this particular blade (I'm absolutely tossing it after tonight). After my shower (during which time I soaked my brush and bloomed the soap), I did a two pass shave (WTG, ATG) with touchups. As with my last shave, but I wound up with a weeper. This time, it was on my neck.

After I set down my razor, I applied alum and felt a noticeable but moderate bit of sting across my face. I waited for the alum to dry then rinsed it off and toweled my face dry before applying the Almond aftershave splash.

Review of the Almond Splash
As before, when opening the bottle and holding it under my nose, I detected the aroma of almond extract. It was light but very pleasing.

I poured out some splash and applied it to my face. I then poured out some splash and applied it to my upper lip. Next I poured out some splash in my hand and applied it to one side of my face and neck. I then poured some more splash into my other hand and applied it to the other side of my face and neck.

As before, I took a deep breath through my nose and noticed that there was no almond scent.

For the third straight shave, I took a deep breath through my nose and noticed that there was no almond scent.

Similarly, as with before, I did not feel a post-shave soothing action.

Scores
Based solely on this experience, I would grade the splash as follows:

Scent in the bottle: 9 out of 10
Scent as applied: 0 out of 10
Disinfectant: 0 out of 10
Strength of scent: 0 out of 10
Healing/soothing: 0 out of 10
Overall: 2 out of 10

Top Bottom