What's new

Looking for very aggressive DE safety razor

I recently change my preferences from mild-medium razors to very aggressive razor.
I saw here few recommendations to very aggressive razor and looking for more suggestion in these levels. I read about:

Le Coq caged head
Ikon Tech 104
PAA DOC Evolution
Charcoal Goods level 3
R41 2011

The first 3 on the list I have and honestly, the Le Coq caged head is above all.
The Charcoal is on it's way and the R41 2011 is hard to find (I know about the spitfire cap, but it's not the same).

Any more suggestion? Modern or vintage..
The R41 2013, for example, I wouldn't put in the same category with these five fine razors.

Order a Maggard handle and choose the V3a head. Fwiw I'd also include the standard V3 as well which imo is as aggressive as anyone would ever want and the best part is this whole order should cost $25-30.

I would add the Wunderbar slant to your list. Very aggressive but smooth and solidly built. All stainless.

Order a Maggard handle and choose the V3a head. Fwiw I'd also include the standard V3 as well which imo is as aggressive as anyone would ever want and the best part is this whole order should cost $25-30.
I was also going to suggest the V3A.

I gotta ask why? Not being sarcastic but just wondering? There's days when I go for the Maggard V3 but imo aggressive razors are just to hard on the face for everyday use, but then again I used a very mild aristocrat for over 20 yrs.

Have you considered a devette?

Seems too harsh for me + I think it will irritate my skin.

FaTip Piccolo
Try before you buy. If you hurry.
Fatip Piccolo Passaround

I have one and I like it, aggressive and smooth.

I'll try the V3A, i have one that i haven't tried in a pass-around that coming back to me soon. Never thought it's that aggressive.

I would add the Wunderbar slant to your list. Very aggressive but smooth and solidly built. All stainless.

I have one, and it's aggressive. I'm not a fan of the big head, not comfortable under the nose, and that's why i like aggressive razors, the whiskers in that area are tough for me to shave.

I gotta ask why? Not being sarcastic but just wondering? There's days when I go for the Maggard V3 but imo aggressive razors are just to hard on the face for everyday use, but then again I used a very mild aristocrat for over 20 yrs.

First of all I enjoy very the blade feel also i have tough whiskers and like i wrote, it's toughest under the nose so sometimes it seems like all the face is shaved except the mustache. Aggressive razors a little bit help.

Merkur Futur.

Got one, should try it on 6 soon, but i had to mention that, I'm less enthusiastic from adjustable razors..

Seems too harsh for me + I think it will irritate my skin.

I have one and I like it, aggressive and smooth.

I'll try the V3A, i have one that i haven't tried in a pass-around that coming back to me soon. Never thought it's that aggressive.

I have one, and it's aggressive. I'm not a fan of the big head, not comfortable under the nose, and that's why i like aggressive razors, the whiskers in that area are tough for me to shave.

First of all I enjoy very the blade feel also i have tough whiskers and like i wrote, it's toughest under the nose so sometimes it seems like all the face is shaved except the mustache. Aggressive razors a little bit help.

Got one, should try it on 6 soon, but i had to mention that, I'm less enthusiastic from adjustable razors..
I to have a mustache/goatee and the only thing that works under the nose is a disposable. There's just not enough area to navigate a safety razor so I pick up a pack of cheap disposables about once a year. It's much easier than fighting with it.

I to have a mustache/goatee and the only thing that works under the nose is a disposable. There's just not enough area to navigate a safety razor so I pick up a pack of cheap disposables about once a year. It's much easier than fighting with it.

Funny to say, but I've never thought about trying cartridges. I don't have a problem with navigation, just tough whiskers. I'll try that soon with a full shave and check the results on the mustache area.

Take your most aggressive razor and a sharp blade and shim it one time. If that isn't enough, shim it twice. Repeat if necessary. At some point you'll realize that it's the blade that's doing the cutting. Shimming a razor basically turns it into an adjustable.

Keep the Shims as wide as possible cutting off very little.

IMAG0079_1.jpg

If that isn't enough then cut the guard off of a rigid razor and make a DEvette. It doesn't get anymore aggressive than that!

No guard DE?

This. I maintain a stash of Bic Metals for travel (because I'm a one-bag, carryon-only traveler), but they are also useful for tight, under-the-nose work because of their extremely narrow heads.

This. I maintain a stash of Bic Metals for travel (because I'm a one-bag, carryon-only traveler), but they are also useful for tight, under-the-nose work because of their extremely narrow heads.
Exactly. I just go to the dollar tree and buy whatever is cheap with a narrow head and doesn't have some gooey strip on top.

it's toughest under the nose so sometimes it seems like all the face is shaved except the mustache. Aggressive razors a little bit help.

A mild rigid razor works best above my lip. With a rigid blade edge and a light touch, I can hit that area many times ATG and level it without fear of irritation. More blade exposure doesn't help.

You are going to have to go over that area multiple times, a mild rigid blade edge is the answer.

Try a Razorock DE1 or Gillette Postwar Tech.

You can also shim a mild razor or any razor you have one time and notice a difference! The shim will stiffen the cutting blade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom