What's new

Looking for Summer AS

I’d also check out Top of the Chain and Stonefield Shaving, both are based in Canada and top notch. Top of the Chain has the best selection in Canada I’d say.

In the summer, my top 3 AS splashes are Dr Jon’s Savannah Sunrise, A&E SoCal Hipster and Stirling Coconut Lime

how does the stirling perform? is the longevity any good? Do you use the balm or the splash?

how does the stirling perform? is the longevity any good? Do you use the balm or the splash?

I have both the balm and the splash for Coconut Lime. I have used the balm by itself before I got the splash, not used the splash by itself now that I think of it. The balm has good scent strength but only lasts approximately up to an 1 hour at a good strength before losing some gradually and about an hour after that it’s gone, so get 1 - 2 hours. I like the performance of their balms and the consistency, not crazy thick but not watery either. The splash followed by balm lasted a few hours, I haven’t used it since the end of summer and didn’t note a time frame like I did the balm so that would mean I wasn’t disappointed by it so take that for what it’s worth. From the ones I’ve tried, I’d say it is average or better compared to others longevity with the splash and balm together, better then some I have but not as long as Barrister and Mann or PAA (lasts longest by far). The splash to me is a good alcohol splash, don’t think it has the skin food in it like some but I use the balm with it so that doesn’t make a difference to me.

Today I used the Swiss Pitralon which has a very nice ‘geranium’ scent and great soothing properties!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That may tick your boxes for a ‘summer’ splash.

My suggestions in order of preference for a daily summer AS;

1. Floid Vigoroso, some menthol and a classic barbershop scent in a big bottle; not that pricey
2. Lucky Tiger Aspen- classic scent and cooling; inexpensive

I'm ok with the Clubman Citrus Musk mentioned above, but the powdery finish isn't my favorite. The Clubman Lime Sec and Gent's Gin are top notch for me, though I add a few drops of glycerin to balance the alcohol's drying properties. Other citrusy faves that should be readily available in Canada are Razorock's Don Marco and XXX splashes. Cella's Extra Extra Bio splash is also a great summer scent for me.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I’m really new to B&B so I didn’t know about Bootleggers! Wow! I’m going to make so many of these! Any tips for the Maduro without the Colonia Tobacco? Can’t seem to find that one. I’ll search to make sure I’m not missing a post on this. So excited!

Without being able to get Vitos Colonia Tobacco in the states anymore, I'm afraid Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Perfecto Maduro are unobtanium. While they seemed to get many, positive reviews here on B&B, No one seemed to stock up on the Vitos when it was found that they were going to quit shipping it to the U.S. I went ahead and purchased 10 bottles of Vitos Tobacco when I could still get it, because I knew I wanted to have the wonderful scent and face feel of Bootlegger's Perfecto as long as I can. I am down to 6 bottles left, because I send many samples of it off every year, because it smells so good, I want others to experience it for themselves.

I have done lot's of research to find a viable replacement of the Vitos for my Bootlegger's Series concoctions. There just isn't any inexpensive aftershaves in the U.S. that has green tobacco flower and orange citrus, two of the main scents in the Perfecto concoctions. The closest replacement I have found in my research is a spray cologne, called Cuba Orange. It's a wonderful smelling cologne which has very similar properties to the Vitos Tobacco.

The only problem I have found is when experimenting with it, is it's strength and diluting it enough as to not overpower the mix as a whole. Since it is a spray cologne, it is impossible to measure with the attached atomiser spray head. The container has to be broken and the contents poured into another receptacle which will allow more precise pouring and measuring.

This may not still gaurantee the concoction from not being overpowered by the cologne. I just haven't gone that far with it since I still have Vitos left in my personal stock. If you will send me your mailing address @JohnnyVader, I will send you a couple of samples of the Perfecto's so you can see what they are all about. :)

Last edited:
I would get the Long Rifle Bay Rum.. heavy lime lightens the scent a lot for summer. Great staying power and a fabulous complex scent. Jm

Without being able to get Vitos Colonia Tobacco in the states anymore, I'm afraid Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Perfecto Maduro are unobtanium. While they seemed to get many, positive reviews here on B&B, No one seemed to stock up on the Vitos when it was found that they were going to quit shipping it to the U.S. I went ahead and purchased 10 bottles of Vitos Tobacco when I could still get it, because I knew I wanted to have the wonderful scent and face feel of Bootlegger's Perfecto as long as I can. I am down to 6 bottles left, because I send many samples of it off every year, because it smells so good, I want others to experience it for themselves.

I have done lot's of research to find a viable replacement of the Vitos for my Bootlegger's Series concoctions. There just isn't any inexpensive aftershaves in the U.S. that has green tobacco flower and orange citrus, two of the main scents in the Perfecto concoctions. The closest replacement I have found in my research is a spray cologne, called Cuba Orange. It's a wonderful smelling cologne which has very similar properties to the Vitos Tobacco.

The only problem I have found is when experimenting with it, is it's strength and diluting it enough as to not overpower the mix as a whole. Since it is a spray cologne, it is impossible to measure with the attached atomiser spray head. The container has to be broken and the contents poured into another receptacle which will allow more precise pouring and measuring.

This may not still gaurantee the concoction from not being overpowered by the cologne. I just haven't gone that far with it since I still have Vitos left in my personal stock. If you will send me your mailing address @JohnnyVader, I will send you a couple of samples of the Perfecto's so you can see what they are all about. :)

Wow! That’s so nice of you! I was just telling my wife I think the wet shaving community is the coolest group of people I’ve met online!

By the way, I just made the Bootlegger’s Green Freeze recipe and I love it! I have some Superior 70 coming this week so I can make some of the others, it was the only one I was missing!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
In summer:

Floid Vigoroso when I want to smell a Hemingway novel

Epsilon Blue when I don’t

Proraso Green always!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For Summer:

Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Bootlegger's Green Freeze ( 50/50 mix of Osage Rub and Skin Bracer)
Osage Rub
Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

Very nice. :)

I have a couple of vintage bottles of Skin Bracer from the 70’s I like to splash on when it’s hot.

But my summer go to’s are

Bootlegger’s Green Freeze
Bootlegger’s Artic Lime Blast
Classic Ice Blue Aqua Velva
Proraso Green

Top Bottom