What's new

Looking for suggestions

hey everyone,

I been currently shaving with a parker 91R while using an omega 10048 shaving brush for the last year and a half since I began wet shaving. Im looking to try a new razor and a new brush. The brush I currently have seems to have lost some of its lathering abilities and the bristles seem to kind of just lost there holding power. The razor itself I have no issues with just want to try something different. I do shave everyday my whole face as I am in the army. any thoughts?

I tend not to give recommendations, as I'm going to provide what I like, and someone else will provide what they like, and so on. And they'll all be different. Same with a brush recommendations. That said, your brush might not need replacement, just cleaning. See:
How to Clean a Shaving Brush

If you want a brush that dries fast and should withstand a bit of abuse, a Razorock Plissoft, Muhle STF or other modern synthetic might do the job well. As for razors, I really like the Rockwell 6S, which is stainless steel and built like a tank, yet shaves very well. Another option might be a vintage Gillette, like a New or Old type, which can be had for not too much money.

As said above, wash your shaving brush. Take some mild dish detergent or a shampoo and work it into the bristles of the brush. Then run the brush under running water. Gently squeeze the brush and do this a few times. Then take the brush out of the water and squeeze the bristles of the brush. Put the bristles of the brush in a container that is mixed 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Let it sit there a few minutes. Then use a pumping action on the brush in the mixture. Ring out the mixture and again run it under running water. Ring the brush, gently flick it, rub it gently across a towel, and let it dry.

As said above, wash your shaving brush. Take some mild dish detergent or a shampoo and work it into the bristles of the brush. Then run the brush under running water. Gently squeeze the brush and do this a few times. Then take the brush out of the water and squeeze the bristles of the brush. Put the bristles of the brush in a container that is mixed 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Let it sit there a few minutes. Then use a pumping action on the brush in the mixture. Ring out the mixture and again run it under running water. Ring the brush, gently flick it, rub it gently across a towel, and let it dry.
I will give this a go

Two suggestions:

1. In terms of a razor, consider either the EJ89 series or a Merkur 34HD, both terrific options.

2. In terms of a brush I think you should consider a badger such as one of Simpsons, pick one that is appealing (my preference is best or better). If you want a boar, my preference is Semogue.

Enjoy the journey!

Since you bowl Lather Maybe try a different badger brush in a size that appeals to you. Lots of options out there, most very good. I like the Simpsons but most house brands are well made too.
For a new production razor I agree with BigJ maybe try a Merkur 34C HD it is a good efficient but not too aggressive razor. One that everyone would do well to try.
Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

As far as razors go, I favor vintage Gillettes. Any vintage adjustable would serve you well. I like boars, so I cannot present you with options. Happy hunting. :thumbup1:

I'd suggest going for an entry level synthetic brush (I have a RazoRock and a Maggard that I like). Regarding the razor, if you're an every shaver, I'd vote for an adjustable. A vintage Gillette slim or fat boy would work or a modern Merkur futur or Progress. If you just want to try something different razor-wise, I'd vote for a slant or open comb.

I been currently shaving with a parker 91R while using an omega 10048 shaving brush for the last year and a half since I began wet shaving. Im looking to try a new razor and a new brush
If you like a heavy weight razor why not try the Merkur 38C or a slant bar, the Merkur 39C. As for a brush, the Semogue 830 is a nice boar brush. If you want a badger brush then Maseto 2 band is a superb brush with a 30mm knot.

Top Bottom